UnevenEdge

reviews: lays potato chips "pick our new flavor" contest entries

nameraka

fried green tomatoes. ruffled.

i wanted to like this one as fgt are a favorite of mine, but a big part of that is the textural difference of an unripened tomato and it can't be replicated in a chip.

the flavor profile was overwhelmingly tomato. if i'd tasted this blind, i would have assumed it was ketchup flavored. extremely disappointing, especially given the originality of the concept. the only good thing i can say here is that it would have been worse on a flat (as opposed to ruffled) chip. i'm also a bit biased as this was a home town entry.

4/10 one of the weaker entries in recent years.

Lays-Wavy-Fried-Green-Tomato-Potato-Chips.jpg?resize=437%2C600

everything bagel chips. flat

this is another one that i really wanted to like. great idea, and a personal favorite of mine. i also thought that in theory this would translate well to a chip. and in theory it might, but in reality it doesn't.

the biggest problem here is the lack of a distinctive flavor profile. i expected notes of caraway, sesame, and garlic. instead this came off more like an underseasoned sour cream and onion chip with a few obvious poppy seeds sprinkled on for show. the problem here wasn't so much that they missed the flavor profile altogether as that it didn't come through strongly enough. again, disappointing. i'm holding out hope that the crispy taco flavor can redeem this years batch.

5/10

lays-duaf-2017-01.png