UnevenEdge

life is strange

quebecelegy

back during last year is when my writing got to a point where it's original and not immediately noticeable that it's heavily inspired by one specific thing.

but the iphone i had written a lot of it on broke and i lost all of it that i had on there and not my computer.

i thought i was never gonna be able to write things anywhere near how good the things on there were.

but i kept writing, and eventually my best things were written after that point, on my laptop. 

this wouldn't have happened, or rather i wouldn't have progressed in the same way had my iphone not broken.

I started getting better and better at writing, still not over losing a lot of my first not-bad ideas, but getting better helped soothe that feeling.

and recently, my laptop broke. i don't have it backed up, and am waiting for a callback on whether my data's recoverable(it probably is, but im gonna have to pay a shit ton most likely).

but during these last few days, i've been writing really good stuff that's different than before.

like.

i've written a ton more song ideas than i had in the last couple of months when i had my laptop.

this wouldn't have happened if my laptop didn't break.

i don't know how to explain, but life is strange with how it works.

tl:dr:

get good  at writing

phone that had a lot of my first good writing on breaks

think im never gonna write good things again

eventually do, and get better at the same time

laptop that i had this better writing on breaks

write pretty ok different kind of stuff that i wouldn't have written otherwise afterwards.

Dude I hope it works out and doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

Life is strange and as unpredictable as it is predictable.

ty, i have the money for it, but i'd rather hold off if it's too much while i save up more.

im not anywhere near being able to compose things properly, yet.

Guest The Hound

that game is the highest peak of the medium this decade though

seriously.

absolutely amazing game.

::spin::

do you post your writings anywhere? I assume you don't, because you'd still have access to them. BUT, if you are open about your writing, I'd love to read it sometime!

you should email your work to yourself and save it in a personal folder!

it's great the amount of progress you've made though, congrats!  :)

do you post your writings anywhere? I assume you don't, because you'd still have access to them. BUT, if you are open about your writing, I'd love to read it sometime!

you should email your work to yourself and save it in a personal folder!

it's great the amount of progress you've made though, congrats!  :)

i actually did the email thing the other day cause im gonna return my current laptop lol

ty, if i ever make enough progress on one to where i find it ok enough for someone to read ill keep you in mind.

Also in what way did your laptop break? You'd have to have a really catastrophic hard drive failure or power surge to truly lose everything. Do you know what parts failed? If so how many hard drives did you have & (if you had more than one hard drive) can you remember which type of RAID configuration they were in? & were they regular, hybrid, or solid state drives?

If you can answer these questions we may find out it could be very cheap to recover or not cost you anything.

im not sure which part, just that it was a hard drive short dst failure thing.

i didn''t turn on more than once after it broke cause i heard it screws with it more everytime you do.

didn't hear any weird noises from the hard drive either when i did.

im pretty sure it was just one hard drive, HDD.

were you still about to boot up & get into windows? What happened were you using it and it locked up & you found out on reboot? Do you have the dst error code?

Asking all this because dst test failure can come up from corrupt software. So it's possible your drive is ok!

i was using it, then it crashed and i turned it off. it took a while for anything to show up on screen and when i booted it back up it started a automatic repair loop thing.

afterwards i don't remember if i was able to get a screen up that wasn't just blank and black.

i know for sure i couldn't boot up to windows. or get anywhere that wasn't the system check thing where i got that hard drive short dst fail from.

afraid i dont have the error code though.

ok if I were you, I'd take the laptop drive out of the laptop, hook it up to a desktop computer that has its own drive to boot from. Then turn it on, try to access the questionable drive. If you can open it up and see the files, the drive hasn't failed, and you can copy paste anything you want to save to the desktop's hard drive. Then once you have all the data you want to keep off the laptop drive, put it back in your laptop and reformat & reinstall your operating system. That will erase whatever software bugged out. Then everything will be ok again.

If you boot up the desktop and you can't access the laptop hard drive and you get an error message, then the drive has indeed had a failure. Shut down quickly & take out the drive. If this is the case, data recovery is going to be harder. Write down any error messages.

But if you do this you'll know if it's mechanical failure or not.

Or you can try booting your laptop from an operating system on a CD or thumb drive. It should boot up fine, and just like if you hooked it up to another pc, try and access the drive. If you can, you can copy paste any files you want off the drive then reinstall operating system. You'll need something to put it on like an external hard drive, thumb drive, SD card, etc. This way you can find out if the drive failed without another computer. And you won't have to open up your laptop. If you don't know how to make a bootable CD/flash drive, I can help w/that too.

i actually have a windows 7 disc lying around somewhere. i wish i had thought of that sooner, before i took my laptop to the repair place.

what's funny is i've done this exact thing before, years back when my first laptop broke, i used a boot disc to get it to turn back when it had the boot device not found thing, but i didn't know you could access your  hard drive files through just a boot disc, i didn't see any options for that when i tried back then.