UnevenEdge

A Chronological Look at Adult Swim's Kids Shows

In light of recent rumors, I thought I should look back at Adult Swim's history and see if they've aired kids shows before. Turns out, they have.

• Rocky and Bullwinkle
  • Tenchi Muyo
  • Tenchi Universe
  • The Ripping Friends
  • The Popeye Show
  • ToonHeads
  • The Bob Clampett Show
  • Cartoon Planet (1995)
  • The Gary Coleman Show
  • Chuck Norris: Karate Kommandos
  • Mr. T
  • Saved by the Bell
  • Pee-wee's Playhouse
  • The Super Globetrotters
  • Voltron
  • Astro Boy (1963)
  • Star Wars: The Clone Wars
  • ThunderCats (2011)
  • Sym-Bionic Titan
  • IGPX
  • Beware the Batman
  • Samurai Jack
  • Adventure Time
  • Pelswick (Canadian exclusive)
  • The Super Dave Osborne Show (Canadian exclusive)
  • Unicorn: Warriors Eternal
  • My Adventures with Superman
  • Checkered Past shows
    • Dexter's Laboratory
    • Ed, Edd, n Eddy
    • The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy
    • Courage the Cowardly Dog
    • Grim and Evil
    • Cow and Chicken
    • I Am Weasel
    • Evil Con Carne
  • Sailor Moon
  • OG Naruto
  • Invincible Fight Girl (I hope not, but it's coming to Canada.)

Granted, a lot of these had some reason to be here, such as:

• Adult Swim needed something to air between 5 and 6 in the morning. (Pee-wee's Playhouse, Mr. T, The Popeye Show, etc.)
  • Toonami had to return with some American cartoons in 2012. (ThunderCats, Beware the Batman, Sym-Bionic Titan)
  • Some of the Cartoon Cartoons got away with some nasty stuff. (Courage the Cowardly Dog, Billy and Mandy, Cow and Chicken, etc.)
  • Time filler, but before the Fox reruns. (Adventure Time)
  • John Kricfalusi (The Ripping Friends)
  • Canadian requirements (Pelswick, Super Dave)
  • Cartoon Network just doesn't air action these days (Unicorn, MAWS, Sailor Moon)

Sure, Adult Swim has pushed its boundaries last year, but Invincible Fight Girl might be the straw that breaks the camel's back for me. Call me over-emotional, but that's my two cents.

I dunno, man. I just hope MeTV Toons comes to my neck of the woods, because I shudder to think what the future holds for Cartoon Network and Adult Swim.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Does it count if the shows were more adult originally, but Toonami edited the hell out of them and refused to spend money on fixing it?

Also, Invincible Fight Girl really feels like, if not the last straw, a new low.  There's no nostalgia behind it, no use of a universal IP like Superman, no auteur creator, it's just some lame-ass kids show about a girl wrestling that feels like a lame Western answer to Kinnikuman, just in the time for the Perfect Origins arc to be on Netflix (not to mention all the other martial arts/underground fighting anime they have).

Edited by Jman
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jman said:

Does it count if the shows were more adult originally, but Toonami edited the hell out of them and refused to spend money on fixing it?

I mean, I originally thought of putting Yu Yu Hakusho on this list, even though Adult Swim was its original home.

1 hour ago, Jman said:

Also, Invincible Fight Girl really feels like, if not the last straw, a new low.  There's no nostalgia behind it, no use of a universal IP like Superman, no auteur creator, it's just some lame-ass kids show about a girl wrestling that feels like a lame Western answer to Kinnikuman, just in the time for the Perfect Origins arc to be on Netflix (not to mention all the other martial arts/underground fighting anime they have).

I'm glad someone agrees with me about that. But I'm also glad there are people on this site who try to prevent such gripings as well.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, naraku360 said:

Not sure Tenchi counts as a kid show.

Most of that harem is made up of ancient space gods whose personalities revolve around molesting a 14 year old.

To this day the fact that they were able to edit a show that boils down to “Space babes want to fuck a country bumpkin turned reluctant space samurai” and actually make it work is a small miracle.  I hate censorship in all forms but that takes talent.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jman said:

To this day the fact that they were able to edit a show that boils down to “Space babes want to fuck a country bumpkin turned reluctant space samurai” and actually make it work is a small miracle.  I hate censorship in all forms but that takes talent.

It's so overwhelmingly sexual I don't know how they got away with it. I saw the uncensored version recently (subbed) and it really is bizarre Toonami even considered airing it in the first place, much less managed to squeeze it passed the censors.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, naraku360 said:

It's so overwhelmingly sexual I don't know how they got away with it. I saw the uncensored version recently (subbed) and it really is bizarre Toonami even considered airing it in the first place, much less managed to squeeze it passed the censors.

If you think that's odd, Toonami wasn't the first place Tenchi was spotted in America.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KQEH

Yes, you're reading this correctly. A PBS affiliate aired the Tenchi dub before Toonami.

• Like 1