UnevenEdge

Remember this episode of excessive force?

PhilosipherStoned

Lieutenant Nazario got pepper sprayed and drug out of his vehicle during a traffic stop. I remember making a thread about this not too long after it happened and several of us were curious to see if Nazario's lawsuit was going to make any headway. Well it appears it did. The result could've been better in my opinion since a judge did grant 'qualified immunity' to the officers for their use of force, but the court did find that Officer cue ball's search of the vehicle and the seizure of Nazario's handgun were violations of his constitutional rights. Officer cue ball was also fired in the end for his actions during the stop. 

https://www.npr.org/2023/01/19/1149924822/army-lieutenant-virginia-police-traffic-stop

Edited by PhilosipherStoned
"qualified immunity"

• PhilosipherStoned changed the title to Remember this episode of excessive force?

The video above is only a few months old on the ATA channel. (Their legal/ judiciary coverage of police interactions is about as accurate and detailed as you can get on youtube) Putting everything together for this thread I wasn't sure if I'd ever updated the lawsuits progress here or not, and regardless the outcome seems all too familiar. Officer Gutierrez who I affectionately dubbed Officer cueball in the OP is probably going to end up working for a different PD the next town over or back in THE SAME PD 3 months later with a promotion... 

All that said there's still more to come. Nazario originally sued for damages around 1.5 million and only got $3685 rewarded from his personal law suit. The NPR article I posted does say that the Virginia DA and several other civil rights groups have since got involved conducting their own investigations and filing seperate suits. I've become pretty hooked on JCS style and police audit videos, and might start posting more things like this in current events. This throwback seemed like a good way to get the ball rolling. https://www.npr.org/2021/04/11/986271819/officer-who-handcuffed-and-pepper-sprayed-black-army-lieutenant-is-fired

Edited by PhilosipherStoned
Not Georgia Virginia...These guys remind me of georgia cops so bad though.