UnevenEdge

Fawlty Towers: John Cleese attacks 'cowardly' BBC over episode's removal

tsar4

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-53020335

This leads to so many questions.  Monty Python has at least 2 episodes where either Idle or Palin appear in blackface.  One is the "Attila the Hun" episode, where Idle is seen as an over-the-top stereotypical old Hollywood portrayal (ala "Charlie Chan" movies) for Black men ("Uncle Tom").  The other has Palin as a maitre 'd character ("Mr. Akwekwe") for a high-class outdoor restaurant in the middle of the African jungle.  Would these need to be pulled, even if they're meant to mock the mentality that led to the stereotypes?

How can one portray and mock the stereotypes & blackface of the era.  Would a Black person have to take the role?  Would they want to?  

And what about books and scripts?  Is it ok for a White writer to write roles for people of Color?  I can see where the argument could be made that a White could never understand the Black experience, so they shouldn't attempt to write for a Black character.  Or would the situation call for something like what happened with "Blazing Saddles" where Mel Brooks passed everything by Richard Pryor to see if it was ok, and Pryor essentially said Brooks was being too careful in the script, and rewrote many of the scenes?

Just wondering how we move forward?

Don't mention the war is a great episode. 

Netflix has also removed Little Britain plus David Walliams and Matt Lucas's Come Fly With Me, and The League of Gentlemen and The Mighty Boosh

why Boosh??? The only problematic line I can think of off the top is "alabaster retard." Oh god did they do blackface? Wait was it the spirit of jazz....ok, fair enough

Edited by Nablotson

29 minutes ago, tsar4 said:

Are you saying you've never seen "Fawlty Towers"?  Here's the episode in question...

Not sure if this qualifies as racist but  hate British accents....It why I hate Monty Python, the original Office and shit like that...Literally no other reason than the accent grates on my nerves...Except when I watch Are you being served...That shit was hilarious.