UnevenEdge

Lovecraft Country - New HBO Original Series - August 2020

Nytlyt

Peel's films I haven't been a fan of. First film was black guy dates a white girl, but she tricked him because it's really the skeleton key; and rich white people are going to have a slave auction to put their souls into black bodies because Black people have superior genes and are more accepted in society???  Feels like there was a sort of disconnect with reality somewhere along the way on that one, or it was meant to satire rich old white people who thinks that blacks have it better than they do. I assume it is the latter of the two, but the film doesn't really present it that way. The next movie had "pale white faced monsters" trying to take over the lives of a black family with an actual twist at the end. Though the theme just seems to be white people want to be black and black people are scared of racial appropriation. So now there's a series based on lovecraft. Who was an outspoken racist that did not like black people at all. I wonder what Peel will do with a world like that with an all black protagonist cast, and an island of odd white people acting mysterious and spooky with pale monsters. No subtext there, or judging from the past films I can take a wild guess. White people are evil and have something to do with the monsters. Might have been a spoiler. 

It would be one thing if he wants to have black protagonists in his films. Though everything he has his hands on has been the same plot devices. It's actually what I'm worried about that he's supposed to be working on the new Twilight Zone. It's going to kill that series if he tires to just running theme every episode as white people try and do another horrible thing to black people the series. It would also be one thing if it were scary. Though his main focus is the subtext of the message than actually providing any real horror or suspense. He really lets the message weigh down any chance of things being entertaining. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HardcoreHunter said:

Peel's films I haven't been a fan of. First film was black guy dates a white girl, but she tricked him because it's really the skeleton key; and rich white people are going to have a slave auction to put their souls into black bodies because Black people have superior genes and are more accepted in society???  Feels like there was a sort of disconnect with reality somewhere along the way on that one, or it was meant to satire rich old white people who thinks that blacks have it better than they do. I assume it is the latter of the two, but the film doesn't really present it that way. The next movie had "pale white faced monsters" trying to take over the lives of a black family with an actual twist at the end. Though the theme just seems to be white people want to be black and black people are scared of racial appropriation. So now there's a series based on lovecraft. Who was an outspoken racist that did not like black people at all. I wonder what Peel will do with a world like that with an all black protagonist cast, and an island of odd white people acting mysterious and spooky with pale monsters. No subtext there, or judging from the past films I can take a wild guess. White people are evil and have something to do with the monsters. Might have been a spoiler. 

It would be one thing if he wants to have black protagonists in his films. Though everything he has his hands on has been the same plot devices. It's actually what I'm worried about that he's supposed to be working on the new Twilight Zone. It's going to kill that series if he tires to just running theme every episode as white people try and do another horrible thing to black people the series. It would also be one thing if it were scary. Though his main focus is the subtext of the message than actually providing any real horror or suspense. He really lets the message weigh down any chance of things being entertaining. 

You forgot to check off the "Old school song but it's slowed down to make it sound creepy in the trailer" box.

He fancies himself an auteur, methinks.

Edited by TrylSyz