UnevenEdge

Photoshop Question

MegaNaraku

I'm fairly new to this software, surprising yes, but I just haven't used it. How do you crop a certain area of a picture, and just  cut/copy it and remove it to past on another pic? I tried, but it takes the ENTIRE pic which is annoying. I just want a certain part, like head and chest for example. Not the entire pic

There should be a tool called the Rectangular marquee tool (will be towards the top of your tools on the lefthand sidebar by default). Select it and then draw out the rectangle over what you want to crop and then you can copy/paste it as you please. Make sure you are on the layer you want to pull from, though. Likewise there are other, non rectangular marquee tools that allow you to use different shapes or even draw your own customized one.

You can also highlight the area with the same tool and go to the Image Menu and select crop and everything outside of it will go away.

I guess I need more info on what exactly your're trying to do?

Screenshots would be helpful if you could provide some. I'm not sure why you would be using any masking tools for cropping. The lasso can be used for cropping but you may  be using it incorrectly. Again, not sure what you're trying to do.

Ok, so stupid question first, but have you made sure that the image you are trying to crop from isn't locked? By default an image would show up listed as "Background" in your layers sidebar and have a lock on it. Simply double-clicking it and hitting OK will remove it. Otherwise you can't modify it at all.

So for more specific cropping, try and use something like the Polygonal Lasso tool, which can be found under the Lasso tool. You can also try the Pen tool and play connect the dots to achieve the same effect.

Not sure why you were using a mask for cropping, but thinking about it, you could use it in tandem with the paintbrush but that seems a bit advanced for this.

Protip:

The feather tool is your friend.

Also, smooth.

Smoothing is something I see new users abusing, almost like the ever cringey BLESSED DUO OF BEVEL & EMBOSS!

Also , personally, I think showing him how to use the paint brush to feather would be better than the tool itself. Just my opinion, though. Gotta teach em how to BR before we hit dat noob combo, naw I'm sayin'?

Guest The Hound

Smoothing is something I see new users abusing, almost like the ever cringey BLESSED DUO OF BEVEL & EMBOSS!

Also , personally, I think showing him how to use the paint brush to feather would be better than the tool itself. Just my opinion, though. Gotta teach em how to BR before we hit dat noob combo, naw I'm sayin'?

No.

There's a balance for all the tools. I actually select an area around the image I'm cutting out and use a little self taught process to pull it out with the smooth and feather tool, coupled with switching back and fourth between selecting the actual image im cutting out and the area around it.

Works like a charm, but then again I've been at this since 04.

Guest The Hound

To each their own. No need to dismiss someone's style. That's the beauty of these programs and art in general: there are many paths to the same goal.

I do most of my Photoshop work for texturing 3d models, so I do a lot of photo manipulation rather than create my own art. Not a concept artist so... No need lol

I went to school for graphic design and find myself using Photoshop, Illustrator, After Effects, and InDesign the most since I left school. I make graphics all the time with Photoshop and Illustrator if I need vector (honestly I should use vector more but I like the freedom of raster). Most of my paintings in the past 8 years have been done in Photoshop, though. I do photo manipulation, same as you, but more often than not I just create everything from scratch. I am legit terrible, like incredibad, with 3D. Only worked with 3DS Max and quit using it after I got the basics down. After Effects is mainly for when I make a gaming video or work on my machinima project.