UnevenEdge

Publishing on lulu.com

pneumantion

What are the do's and don'ts while publishing on lulu.com?

I've been reading their frequently asked questions and hell, I can't tell if I should buy an ISBN number or let lulu assign me one. What do you do?  

Exactly what encompasses the outline of publishing on lulu?  How do you go about it.

I want to publish how to make a hurricane and it won't be but 2 pages, so I'm thinking I need to put one or two words per page so I'll have at least 100 pages if I can do that on lulu.com.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/28/2018 at 2:17 PM, pneumantion said:

What are the do's and don'ts while publishing on lulu.com?

I've been reading their frequently asked questions and hell, I can't tell if I should buy an ISBN number or let lulu assign me one. What do you do?  

Exactly what encompasses the outline of publishing on lulu?  How do you go about it.

I want to publish how to make a hurricane and it won't be but 2 pages, so I'm thinking I need to put one or two words per page so I'll have at least 100 pages if I can do that on lulu.com.

No, I can help you, I just published my newest work there, Words Volume 1

So what do you want to know about. There's really no bad behavior or conduct at Lulu.com, As long as your publishing books, there's not really a way to get banned if that's what you meant.

Do you have an account on Lulu yet. I could probably help you

Respond to my messages on the boards, Tweet or PM me if you'd like some coaching or advice with lulu. I can help you with some of it. I've published at least 18-25 books there.

I also do kindle KDP, so feel free to ask about those. I hadn't thought alot about my publishing "techniques" I just fill out the instruction on the page for each books user interface. 

Yeah, I haven't made an account on lulu yet.  I was just reading their FAQ and I see there's an option for lulu to get me an ISBN # and they would be my publisher or I can buy one from a website and be my own publisher.  

I seen your book J.M. and I see that you are your own publisher.  I was wondering how much it cost to get an ISBN from that other site.

I will make an account on lulu.com before I ask any more questions.

Sure, I'd be happy to mentor people with Lulu. I've don't recall Lulu charging me for ISBN. Lulu lets you function as your own publisher for free.

ISBNs are really just important if they're carrying your book in brick and mortar stores like Barnes and Noble and Books-A-Million. An ISBN is a non-object if you're selling ebooks.

It really depends on where you want your sales to be. You don't necessarily have to pay just to get an ISBN listed on your book. They'll put it on anyway. And if it says you do it could just be saying that. 

All my Journal Volumes have ISBNs on them and I never had to pay up front.

It will explain more about how you get ISBNs if you have an account on the site.

Feel free to send me a link to the page your reading about ISBN if you want me to see what you're talking about.

9 hours ago, pneumantion said:

I seen your book J.M. and I see that you are your own publisher.  I was wondering how much it cost to get an ISBN from that other site.

I

To be your own publisher on Lulu Amazon, you pretty much just need a name for your publisher, it lists your publisher as the publisher name  you choose for yourself. I've used different company names before: Thunder-LIghtning Press, Thunder-LIghtning Publishing, J.M. Matthews Media. Streamwave Media

To be honest, often the only thing you have to do to look like you're starting a company is a name alias for your studio/publisher/company And a Logo if you're going to run a website or app, a logo image, which can also be inexpensive depending on how you go about it. Logos take some graphic design abilities. 

Edited by J.M. Matthews

Just be warned, publishing is no small undertaking.

Despite the effort and work needed to make a good, book there's an 80% chance your book's only audience might be yourself and the few or many people, family, friends audience members who know you or know of you. A good cover and marketing on certain sites can help. But it's easier to sell through Amazon than it is through lulu, with rare exceptions. It helps to have more than one platform.

There's plenty of ways to get it wrong and only a few ways to do it successfully. 10% of authors sell a decent amoung a large percentage sell zero. I was that last percentage for a while.

Edited by J.M. Matthews

10 hours ago, pneumantion said:

Yeah, I haven't made an account on lulu yet.  I was just reading their FAQ and I see there's an option for lulu to get me an ISBN # and they would be my publisher or I can buy one from a website and be my own publisher.  

I will make an account on lulu.com before I ask any more questions.

Here's all the things you need to review for each book you publish...

• Cover

• Price (Online outlets make you charge a minimum prince to receive a royalty for copies sold)

• Content

• Manuscript formatting

• PDF files

• Uploading Pages

• Distribution

• Shipping and Billing

• ISBN #

• Publishing Name

• Marketing

• Keywords (listings in search engines and stores)

• Book Description

• Book Print format (casewrap hardcover gloss)

• Color vs. Black and white

• U.S. Trade (small) vs. U.S. Letter Hardcover (large size)

• Interior Print: Black and white on white

• Color is more expensive

• Each time you revise you will be forced to go through all the steps of the book production process over again

• Print ready file (download for review if necessary)

• Cover Designer (casewrap has no detachable leaflet cover) (putting price listing on back helps if your work is in brick and mortar bookstores, if its online price listing doesn't matter)

• Category

• Language (English)

• Copyright notice: (your author name plus publishing year)

• Publisher Name (optional):

• Edition (Reprintings, this doesn't always have to be updated)