UnevenEdge

Outlaw Star

HardcoreHunter

Rewatching Outlaw Star since it's been at least 15 years since I last watched making me 12 at the time, and I have forgotten anything that didn't involve big brown cat tits.

So far I have gotten through the Race Episode. More things come back as I seem them, but I didn't remember the series having such huge quality shifts that it does. Also loads of seizure light moments. Gene is also a bit more of a piss ant than I remember, maybe I just thought he was cooler because I was little. Jim is outright gay for Gene at times in the early eps which I didn't remember at all.  There was a moment with Jim and Hilda where they were talking and he hated her, but then she told him something and they acted like BFF. I can only assume she was telling him what Gene's dick tasted like, but the conversation is never brought up again. I think they just needed an off camera reason for him not to hate her, but couldn't think of one.

Also the anime does a lot more 70s/80s homages that I never noticed as a kid. Some of the interactions are a little redundant and blocky (watching the dub by the way). Other times it has the more fluid progression that I remember.

The Tao group are still as weird as I remember them. The little girl one that burns up in the sun used to freak me out as a kid since she reminded me of a doll.

Still seams weird that the Asia's people stranded her over that minor thing happening. It might have been more understandable if she broke protocol, but she didn't. Not to mention she caught the other group. It would be like if a police officer were fired because he caught eight men, but last one got away. Not only fired but they drive him out to the middle of Detroit and leave him there.

Suzuka seemed to give up a little too easy, and had Gene pull some Gary Stu stuff. I think people were more forgiving of those things in the 90s than they are now. Suzuka probably has the most quality change out of anyone, it ranges from human girl to the damn moon man.

Gene is also a bit more of a piss ant than I remember, maybe I just thought he was cooler because I was little.

Last time I rewatched OS, this stuck out to me, too. I feel it was partially being a kid watching, and partially some of the slight edits they did with the early episodes.

But this is very good:

To be fair Gene's arc is largely based around him growing up and not being a piss ant anymore. From Hilda's chastising to the awkward night scene with Melfina. You can argue how effective his progress is by the end but, eh, still one of my favorite series either way.

To be fair Gene's arc is largely based around him growing up and not being a piss ant anymore. From Hilda's chastising to the awkward night scene with Melfina. You can argue how effective his progress is by the end but, eh, still one of my favorite series either way.

It's alluded to, and confirmed in the manga that he had sex with Hilda at least. I think the manga did a better job of showing that he was actually affected by her death. The anime seemed to try and blow through Hilda's arc to get the plot moving.

Still like you said it is a coming of age story of sorts. A more interesting take on one since Gene is 20. In anime 20 year olds are usually seasoned in all walks of life and full of advice, rather than the reality of most 20 year olds that still don't know how to balance their bills or make a meal.

Last time I rewatched OS, this stuck out to me, too. I feel it was partially being a kid watching, and partially some of the slight edits they did with the early episodes.

But this is very good:

Yeah the OP is great, I watch it every episode. I also like the ED a lot, just a huge contrast to the rest of the show.