UnevenEdge

Oldschool Rap

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Zintar

Tight.

Spinning this track now on the big stereo. Love this shit. Saw these guys live around the time of this track and later. I'd be going to see

Frank Zappa, Black Flag, Public Enemy, Michael Hedges, Prince, BDP, etc. So many acts. Hop-Hop hit HARD at he time. Fans of all types.

Sorry I need to spend more time in this folder. I love rap from the 90's, but I try not to get stuck on the boombap

aspect since everyone is in to synthesized trap garbage these days.. Imma turn that up now.  That is REAL oldschool.

The original old school.. Can;t knock it though. Alot of later rappers used the same rhymeschemes with newer beats.

It sucks trying to draw inspiration from the beginning of hiphop when the way it is now is... whatever it is.

Guest Zintar

Yeah, I'm still listen to a lot of old school hip-hop. 80's-90's. I grew up on the east coast and most of my favorite stuff came out of NYC.  When Ice T, Too Short, NWA/Eazy-E . . the west coast gangster shit first hit the scene, I was into that also.

It was fresh and the beats were pretty sick. I saw NWA/Eazy-E when they did a huge headlining tour to promote Straight Outta Comptom and Ezay Does It, seen a couple of shows on that run. They were fucking great. Then, shortly after that I was burnt out on "gangster" rap and lost interest in the then new shit coming out. Bitches, Hoes, Money . . eh. Bored me.

I still listen to the older acts I grew up listening to often. Then around the mid/late 90's I got into a lot of DJ stuff . . and that got me back into checking out the then current

Hip-Hop artists. There were some good ones for sure. All that said, I still love the old shit the most. It's not just nostalgia, that shit is dope man.

My buddy Scope has a HipHop thread going in here and I have a neat Kool Keith thread, but I'm gonna post in this one too. Hope you like some of my choices.

I'll start with possibly my favorite MC of all time . . .

Guest Zintar

Schoolly D.  Straight outta Philly!  Schoolly was cool. Like a lot of hiphop artists back then, he played on a lot of bills with rock based bands.

The line-ups/bills for shows were much more diverse than they are these days. All of the acts sounded different and most all were quite good.

I remember one year he did a bunch of shows with my old friends fIREHOSE. (not Firehouse. Yuck. fIREHOSE. lol).

Anyhow, most people would recognize his voice from ATHF.