UnevenEdge

Jon Glaser Loves Gear Season One

Guest Zintar

(thread created on Sept. 12 2016)

Yay! Jon Glaser (& PFFR) are back . . this time on truTV. The ten episode first season will premiere on Oct 26th.  Some cast members names have been revealed and I am quite happy to see that Steve Cirbus is working again with Jon & PFFR. I thought he was excellent in both Delocated and Neon Joe. He is also one heck of a nice guy of whom I have had the pleasure of meeting and hanging out with a bit. For that matter, Jon is also incredibly nice. . . Here are some links with more info for anybody interested . .

http://deadline.com/2016/09/john-hodgman-janeane-garofalo-jon-glaser-trutv-comedy-small-victories-pilot-cast-melissa-hunter-1201817839/

http://splitsider.com/2016/09/jon-glaser-loves-gear-premieres-on-trutv-next-month/

On a related note . . back during 2012 Jon was cool with allowing me to film one of the few Delocated Variety Shows. Jon had several bits throughout the evening, the first was to do with his said love of gear. He went off about his Danner boots. I posted just a few clips from that night online back then, including the boot rap. Since it ties in with the concept of this new show I'm gonna throw it up here in this thread. Hope you like it! . . . .

(Post by Zintar on Oct 26, 2016 at 8:45am)

The season premiere was last night, I really enjoyed it. This show looks like it is gonna be pretty fucking funny! Steve was great as Jon's "spurt". I thought the whole Paul Rudd thing was great. As pointed out toward the end of the ep, he was great in Delocated and Neon Joe.

And again, Paul is dead. HAHAHA. Steve has quite the sixpack . . . and sausage.

So, they ended up airing two episodes last week. They were aired a few nights too. There seems to be a lot of effort in promoting the show. That's great!

The first two eps were really funny and from the preview clips I have seen the rest of the season looks to be excellent. I am just hoping Steve is back for the next episode. lol

Last nights ep (#3) was pretty freaking funny. Jon has some major MOMMY issues and his poor son really suffers because of it. The little dude just wanted to become a musician/songwriter and Jon fucked that all up.

Big Time. It was nice to see Nadia Dajani (Susan from Delocated) guest starring as the Therapist. She looked great and was very funny. TOTALLY CURED! FREE GUAC AT EVERY MEXICAN RESTRUANT!

The woman who played Jon's Mommy was also great. The flashback reenactments were hysterical. I think I recognized the actress who played Mommy, but I could not place how last night.

Still no Steve Cirbus and his face was blocked out for the whole intro, just as Jon said he would do. What an asshole! The eps are getting better and better as the series rolls along.

I am really enjoying this show, which is no big surprise . . I love all the people involved. It's odd to see the PFFR logo on another channel . .

latest?cb=20140116204755

I'm also loving the show.

I won't pretend to know anything about truTV's programming or how they operate as a network, but with a few seconds of searching it appears the show is underperforming compared to other shows on the network.

Ratings:

Episode 1: Total = 184,000 | 18-49 = .09

Episode 2: Total = 126,000 | 18-49 = .07

Episode 3: Total = 197,000 | 18-49 = .10

WOW! Episode 4 Dogs. THAT WAS FANTASTIC! (I know . . . I know . . . . )

The whole dog shit tomato stuff was pretty funny, but what really got me was the return of "Jon".

Oh man, that was great. As soon as he put on the ski mask I felt giddy, I blurted out "Jon's back" (as did Geari).

I am really hoping Jon's rap about him pitching another season of Delocated (as an animated series with him still living in the shack)

was for real. It could well have been a joke, I know, but I really hope there is some truth there.

At any rate, from the point he put the mask on the episode took a very dark tone. It was fantastic.

I am still hoping Steve returns. Jon is such an asshole.

(thread created on Sept. 12 2016)

Yay! Jon Glaser (& PFFR) are back . . this time on truTV. The ten episode first season will premiere on Oct 26th.  Some cast members names have been revealed and I am quite happy to see that Steve Cirbus is working again with Jon & PFFR. I thought he was excellent in both Delocated and Neon Joe. He is also one heck of a nice guy of whom I have had the pleasure of meeting and hanging out with a bit. For that matter, Jon is also incredibly nice. . . Here are some links with more info for anybody interested . .

http://deadline.com/2016/09/john-hodgman-janeane-garofalo-jon-glaser-trutv-comedy-small-victories-pilot-cast-melissa-hunter-1201817839/

http://splitsider.com/2016/09/jon-glaser-loves-gear-premieres-on-trutv-next-month/

DECENT

Don't have dish or cable atm though so bummer there I guess.

Although I do see the first 2 episodes appear to be free online. Pretty cool. I will have to check it out.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm also loving the show.

I won't pretend to know anything about truTV's programming or how they operate as a network, but with a few seconds of searching it appears the show is underperforming compared to other shows on the network.

Ratings:

Episode 1: Total = 184,000 | 18-49 = .09

Episode 2: Total = 126,000 | 18-49 = .07

Episode 3: Total = 197,000 | 18-49 = .10

TruTV has traditionally been a reality/exploitation network basically.

they have had some inexplicable jags into comedy though, maybe they're also looking to tap into Adult Swim's audience.

I think Billy On the Street is also TruTV.  Dunno if they got any other comedies.

I really love those two though (Glaser Loves Gear and Billy o/t Street)

Episode 5 FISHING.

Wow. That one was intense. John Lee had posted on the PFFR blog that this ep was "might be the most PFFR thing in a while".  link > https://pffr.net/

I'd have to agree. The episode was pretty far out. And excellent. Very trippy. The whole Happy Fisherman thing was hysterical. Although the Happy Fisherman

goes back many years, I associate that with Daniel Clowes . . his Happy Fisherman story is a classic. Not sure about John or Vernon, but I know that Jim Tozzi

is a big Clowes fan. At any rate . . .  so funny . .  "you wanna help me get this fish off?"  "that's exactly what I was thinking". HAHAHA. 

Nice to see Steve throughout the episode. Also, just nice to see Steve and Jon working together again. I love how they play off of each other.

Episode 6 BASEBALL.

Also excellent.    The voice. Haha.  Steve's poor son. Hell, those poor kids!

I really hope they get a second season, as the show is so good.  If TruTV wants to tap into the [as] audience they really need to give this show another round.

TruTV has traditionally been a reality/exploitation network basically.

they have had some inexplicable jags into comedy though, maybe they're also looking to tap into Adult Swim's audience.

I think Billy On the Street is also TruTV.  Dunno if they got any other comedies.

I really love those two though (Glaser Loves Gear and Billy o/t Street)

They have at least one other that I know of . . Rachel Dratch's Late Night Snack.  I have only seen one episode, it was ok . . . nothing amazing.

I just went to their youtube page to find a clip from the last Billy On the Street.  and yeah, they seem to have a lot of comedy projects going.

but - as far as Billy goes, it's - kind of easy to pass by I think because on the surface it's very sort of superficially "reality-tv"ish kinda.

what I like about it is the character and also the way he works blatant humor with subtlety.  It's an oddly nuanced schtick that I find very appealing.  And also refreshing in the alchemy of it. 

• 3 weeks later...

pffr have been pretty successful on adult swim, even with the meemaw thing they did, so trying to appeal to the adult swim audience is probably a good idea for them. a familiar face is a good start.

fyi apparently neon joe season 2 is getting close to finished

i really hope trutv renews this show!

• 2 weeks later...