UnevenEdge

Vintage Cartoons

Guest Zintar

Vintage Cartoons. There are so many. Many of which are largely forgotten, some now (and/or long) considered offensive in our current pc culture. Drinking, drugs, old stereo-types, sexy stuff... Crazy! Awesome. Enjoy.

Years ago, WB sold a lot of the old Merrie Melodies cartoons to a.a.p.  They eventually went bankrupt and many, including this one fell into public domain. . . . 

This trippy tribute to our country's 200th birthday was funded by a Bicentennial Project Grant and animated by Vincent Collins who made other psychedelic cartoons. This film was produced by the United States Information Agency -- the government's propaganda agency.

I am a big fan of William Hanna. This is the first cartoon he directed, 1936. By 1940 he was working with Joe Barbera and they went on to spend many years working on Tom and Jerry. All of those early Tom and Jerry cartoons are fantastic and I still enjoy watching them. . . Those guys were amazing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Hanna

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanna-Barbera

Ok, bending the title of this thread just a bit here. This is not necessarily a vintage cartoon, but it does contain vintage cartoons. I think users here may find this one interesting, I sure do.

This was Turner's original pitch for Cartoon Network, created to be seen by cable operators and potential advertisers.

This one is pretty interesting. Here is the description, as written by the uploader, Steve Peck (who created this in 1975).

"This is an animated cartoon I produced myself in 1975 to show what Bugs, Daffy and Elmer would be doing in Central Park 12 years after WB stopped making Looney Tunes.....I showed it to Tex Avery in 1975 when he was 80 and he loved it and said "I wish I had a job to give you." Showed it to Chuck Jones. He was very conservative and did not like what I had done to his characters and did not offer me a job. It got huge laughs at festivals."

THIS VIDEO CONTAINS SEVERAL DRUG REFERENCES AND SUCH....

Here's another odd one.

Fred Flintstone and Barney Rubble extol the joys of Busch Beer in this excerpt from a Busch-produced promotional short geared For Employees Only. Made sometime during the 1960s.

I remember seeing this when I was a young kid. It was my first exposure to Lenny Bruce and also to any king of "adult cartoon". I ended up becoming a fan of Lenny Bruce and adult cartoons.

Thank You Mask Man, a profanity-laced cartoon narrated by Lenny Bruce mocking The Lone Ranger.

• 4 weeks later...

I really love the older cartoons like this.  I always have, ever since I was little.  Admittedly, my knowledge is slanted more towards Warner Brothers and Tom and Jerry, since that's what I really watched all the time on TV, but I've seen a decent amount of Disney and some MGM cartoons.  I think my favorite of the cartoons are the WWII era ones.  The propaganda aspect in them can be fun to watch, even if it's at times racist or dated.