UnevenEdge

The Tin Woodman of Oz

Sieg67

I'm reading this entire series and just finished that book.  I always wondered what happened with the Tin Woodman's head and how he could be the same person after it got replaced. 

This book explains that and it's kinda messed up.  It's why I'm typing out this thing that nobody is going to care about.

Before anything, I should tell you that nobody dies in Oz....Except for the witches Dorthy killed but whatever.  The Tin Woodman is a man named Nick Chopper.  Nick loved a Munchkin girl and that pissed off the witch who held her captive.  This witch enchanted his axe and one by one, he ended up chopping off all of his body parts.  The witch even got in some of fun herself and hacked at his body with his own axe.  After every incident, he'd go to a tin smith and he'd make him a new body part.   Of course one day he rusted and Dorthy saved him after some time had passed.

Eventually the Tin Woodman decides he would find his old sweet heart and marry her thus the adventure began.  He claimed that his heart was not capable of love but felt that it was his duty to marry her to reward her loyalty.  On this journey, him and  his companions(The Scarecrow and a boy named Woot) came across a Tin solider.  He had the exact same story has Nick Chopper and even loved the same Munchkin girl.  They decide to find her together and let her choose who she would marry.

After finding her old home empty, they went to the tin smith who created their bodies to see if he knew her whereabouts.  The tin smith wasn't home but they entered his house where Nick Chopper found his old head in a cupboard.  This head was still alive.  It was cranky and it's personality was different from when Nick had it.  It also didn't seem to have any memories besides his name.  The tin smith comes home and explains that after finding some magic glue, he used the body parts of both the Tin Woodman and The Tin solider to make a new person.  Being short an arm, he had to fashion one out of tin.  He also had to shave one leg down to get them to match in length.   One day this  patchwork person decided he would leave to go adventuring and never came back.  You can probably see where this is going.

Towards the end of the book, they all find the Munchkin girl.  They discovered her and the patchwork man were married.  Like Nick's head, the man was very disagreeable, rude and not a lot going on upstairs but it seemed the the girl didn't mind as long as he did basic chores.   I Ieft out a lot of the details and other events but that's basically his story.  They said their farewells and left her alone.

Edited by Sieg67
  • Thanks 1