UnevenEdge

My DC Comics reading tracker (until I stop updating it)

This is a variation on the Twitter hashtag #500comicgoal that I used to keep track of my reading. But since I don't use Twitter anymore, I've been looking for a new social network for it. I'll give it a go here. 

Speaking of DC, the comics are on a roll in terms of quality right now. Some fans have started using "DC Renaissance" to describe the books that began with the Infinite Frontier publishing initiative in 2021. They even have a specific event where the Renaissance started: the final defeat of the villainous Batman Who Laughs at the end of "Dark Knights: Death Metal" (2020). 

Batman Who Laughs is a cosmic supervillain who menaced the Multiverse for years leading to the climax in "Death Metal". He symbolizes extreme hopelessness and nihilism. So, in a meta way, after his defeat, the comic books change tone and become more fun and light-hearted. And the artwork shifts to bright, flashy colors. All of the comics, even Batman books, are twinkly with splashes of vivid color, like a city skyline.

The quality is better than the preceding "DC Rebirth" (2016-2020) and "New 52" (2011-2016) lines. So I'm trying to read through DC from the last 2-3 years. 

I'll update this from time to time as I read through issues and maybe say a thing or two about each one.

• Like 1