UnevenEdge

Art World / Art Market Discussion

avec

I'm curious how those of us working in the arts feel about the art market right now. Here are some random prompts to use if you'd like.

- Does it feel like there's a set of rules to follow for success?

- Are we in a time of more flexibility to make money (haha, what's that) in an art field?

- Do you feel you have to cater to certain audiences to be successful?

- Are you able to use your creative energies in your job to grow your skills and potential?

- Do you feel burned out trying to use your skills as a job?

As a painter, I have strayed away from doing gallery shows or teaching at an institution because it can feel at times that to make it (whatever the hell that means) is to cater to the 1% Jeff Koons style. My tolerance for bs and people may just be lower than my motivation to keep making work.

With social media, artists can capitalize on platforms to do commissions and if they're lucky make a portrait of a celebrity (ha ha) and hit it "big".  In a lot of ways though, social media can be a way to circumvent playing into a formula.

I'm curious how comic artists, musicians, social practice artists, graphic designers, etc are feeling in the economy rn.