UnevenEdge

2016 In animated fillm.

Jules_Co

I feel like this year has been a mixed bag for me.

We got talking animal films coming out of the wazoo, some generating speculation, others being accused of being unoriginal.

Secret Life of Pets was the first decent film from it's company not based on a Gru or his Minions, but it's Toy Story like premise and Oliver and Company plot tend to have that been "been there, made a film about that" feel to it. It may not win points for originality, but it gets them for heart.

Sausage Party was the real standout this year. The first R Rated CGI film offers us a movie idea that may seem ridiculous upon first look (A big name celebrity like Seth Rogen playing a sausage), but it had a deep and intelligent execution and plot. It was, in short, a dumb movie with a smart approach.

Zootopia had a lot going for it for me. It took a common theme for animated family films (Talking animals) and gave it a cool buddy cop/detective premise and some mature topics that adults could enjoy when watching it with the kids.

There are some other decent ones in their as well (Finding Dory, Kung Fu Panda 3) along with stinkers (Norm of the North, Ice Age Collision Course).

Again this year was a mixed bag for me. A lot of fury bait combined with some shitty stinkers, but some intelligent and heartwarming films as well.

I feel like this year has been a mixed bag for me.

We got talking animal films coming out of the wazoo, some generating speculation, others being accused of being unoriginal.

Secret Life of Pets was the first decent film from it's company not based on a Gru or his Minions, but it's Toy Story like premise and Oliver and Company plot tend to have that been "been there, made a film about that" feel to it. It may not win points for originality, but it gets them for heart.

Sausage Party was the real standout this year. The first R Rated CGI film offers us a movie idea that may seem ridiculous upon first look (A big name celebrity like Seth Rogen playing a sausage), but it had a deep and intelligent execution and plot. It was, in short, a dumb movie with a smart approach.

Zootopia had a lot going for it for me. It took a common theme for animated family films (Talking animals) and gave it a cool buddy cop/detective premise and some mature topics that adults could enjoy when watching it with the kids.

There are some other decent ones in their as well (Finding Dory, Kung Fu Panda 3) along with stinkers (Norm of the North, Ice Age Collision Course).

Again this year was a mixed bag for me. A lot of fury bait combined with some shitty stinkers, but some intelligent and heartwarming films as well.

what are your predictions for 2017's lineup of movies?

Batman Lego looks interesting.

Coco sounds badass. Could Care less about Cars 3.

Ferdinand sounds like something at least original for Blue Sky.

Can't wait for Despicable Me 3.

Smurfs looks like it will be better than it's live action bastard counterparts. In fact, I am 100% confident that it will be.

And Boss Baby has mixed feelings from me. It looks okay, but seems gimmicky.

Batman Lego looks interest.

Coco sounds badass. Could Care less about Cars 3.

Ferdinand sounds like something at least original for Blue Sky.

Can't wait for Despicable Me 3.

Smurfs looks like it will be better than it's live action bastard counterparts. In fact, I am 100% confident that it will be.

And Boss Baby has mixed feelings from me. It looks okay, but seems gimmicky.

I loathe Lego versions of things

I agree about Coco

I don't like cars but the fact that the trailer for Cars 3 shows realistic cars and shows lightning McQueen FUCKING DIE I'm wondering what the fuck Disney's plan is with it

I haven't actually heard about ferdinand, I'll have to look that up

oh god not more Minions(''T_T'')

they should've made the first 2 Smurfs movies that way, I'm actually looking forward to it, it looks cute

Boss baby has no appeal to me whatsoever outside of that tumblr post with a doctor informing some grieving parents that their baby has "Dreamworks face syndrome"359207_m1469233525.jpg.....(Ironically his face is one of their milder uses of that horrible facial expression, some Dreamworks posters the expression is so forced it looks downright painful)

edit: also, I can't decide what makes me feel creeped out more, the fact that someone made a children's Book about a Donald Trump Baby, or that Dreamworks decided to make a movie about it

Of course it's Trump Junior.

We would be hard pressed to find a Dreamworks movie that wasn't trying purposely to be topical. Even their films about fairy tales (Talking about you, Shrek) have them pumping out the pop songs and pop culture references.

It's just Dreamworks tradition to be planted firmly into today.