UnevenEdge

Filming/VideoTaping Live Music (Various Videos)

Guest Zintar

As the header suggests, filming / video taping live music. (or even making/directing music videos)

I have done a lot of that over the years. Do any other members here also do that?

I have been a musician for decades and recorded audio at shows for a long time. Occasionally I would film some video here and there, around 2006 and beyond I

started to film most shows that I went to. That was around the time that I got really into video and also learned how to edit and author dvds. Often sharing them at legit sites like dimeadozen and zappateers.

Often times getting good access and/or permission to film shows that may not have been allowed by most. I have also filmed "stealth" on occasion. That can be pretty nerve racking!

Playing live shows myself and making friends with lots of musicians and bands I was a fan of helped me have good access to many shows. I have been an Archivist for years and

I really enjoy contributing to the documenting and archiving of live events and one time performances. Filming a show is work, you are not able to really enjoy the show, as you spend all night looking

at your monitor screen, change tapes, batteries, etc. Especially when running more than one camera angle.

Anyhow, I sometimes post stuff on youtube for people to sample before they download some file for a 2 dvd set that is about 8 or 9 GBs.  After a while I pull the videos from youtube.

That said, I do have many still up and figured I post some here. 

If anybody else does something similar, go ahead and post in this thread or make your own. Either way, cool.

I will offer a little info for any of the videos that I embed in this thread. I hope some of you folks enjoy some of this stuff. Thanks for checking this thread out!

Das Boton. They were based out of Chicago and pretty much Billy Dolan's project. Billy is a super cool guy and fine guitarist. He had some great bands back throughout the 90s.

5ive Style and Heroic Doses being two of them. Both bands had some great albums released on SubPop.  This night they were opening for a short West Coast Tour for the excellent band

TORTOISE.

I had never heard  Das Boton before that night, but before the show I spoke to Billy and asked to film, as I had gear with me to record audio and video for the Tortoise set.

He was totally cool with me filming and also posting stuff to get the word out about his new band. We also remained friends. I have not been in contact with him for a while, but I believe

that Das Boton is no more. Too bad, they were pretty killer.  Had a nice "SST" feel to them.  Here are a few clips from that show.

MELVINS.  What can I say. MELVINS are amazing.  For this show I was tired, so I sat in the balcony with my video camera. As always, they delivered.

I really liked the line-up with both Dale and Coady on drums. Powerful stuff.

Adrian Belew.  One of my favorite artists and on of several guitarists that came up through Frank Zappa's bands. This night was really fun and after the show I was able to try out Adrian's Parker Fly guitar, pretty neat guitar.

Great sound and super light weight. Adrian is a super nice fellow and it's always a thrill to see him.

Here's some songs from another Belew tour a few years later. Incredible tour that featured music from his whole career. This is the first four songs of the show.

The Momur

Big Electric Cat

Men In Helicopters

The Lone Rhino

That 1 Guy.  Another nice fellow, as most of the artists I like are. I got a little friendly with him one year (2008) when he was on tour opening for Buckethead. My wife and I did a lot of traveling

that year following them around and filming a whole bunch of shows. These clips were from the following year when he was headlining his own show at a nice little club. 

He plays the "Magic Pipe" and instrument he built himself. Sadly, some asshole stole the original and he had to rebuild a new one.

He is also a magician and this first clips features a little magic.

As mentioned above That 1 Guy has toured with Buckethead a few times. For much of Bucket's 2008 Tour That 1 Guy did an opening set, then Bucket played a full show, then they

played together (largely improvising) using the namd FRANKENSTEIN BROTHERS.  This clip is one of my favorite jams from many. When telling him how much I enjoyed it the following

evening he said that they felt it was the strongest set thus far from that weeks worth of shows.  Here's an excerpt.

BUCKETHEAD.  I have been a fan and friend for a long time. Not much else to say. Dude is a sick fucking guitarist. Here are a couple of clips from the same night that I just

posted that sample of him and That 1 Guy.

We had three cameras running that night. This clip was from my camera, dead center, front of stage (where I like to film him from).

here is a you tube rip of the first dvd from the dvd set made from the three cameras and a matrix audio mix. (there is also a second dvd set in circulation that is all my front of stage cam angle).

Here are a couple of older Buckethead clips. This time featuring his first band, the amazing DELI CREEPS. This was such a fun evening. I really love older Buckethead music and the Deli Creeps

were such a fantastic band. This show took place at an old club called Satyricon. It is not gone, like much of old Portland. It was (until it's death) the "longest running punkrock club" on the West Coast.

My then band BIG JOAN were also on the bill this evening and I was pretty stoked that Bucket and the Creeps really enjoyed our set. I loved theirs! There were only about 30 or 40 people in attendance.

Good times!

Here's a neat clip. As of now, this show is not in circulation. Audio or video. Two camera angles exist and also two audio recordings, a soundboard and an audience recording.

Bucket had not toured for a couple/few years and this was a "secret" invite only show held in Las Vegas. About 60 people were there and we flew down just for the show.

I had not planned on filming, but at he last minute threw a crappy HI8 Video Cam in my Bag. The show had lots of technical issues and was cut short. Not a great gig, but it had

it's moments. A few shows into the tour, the cobwebs were shaken off and shit really jelled.  This is the only clip I ever posted online for that night.

Alrighty, I could post so much more . . but, it seems I have already posted a lot in one sitting.

Still, I will add one more artist for today.

UNKNOWN HINSON.  It was the only time he has played his own music here and it was an incredible show. Two and a half hours of music

over the course of two sets. I did author a very nice 2 dvd set for this show and to this day it is the only full length "quality" show in circulation on video. It is still being seeded at

dimeadozen (along with some nice audio recordings, at least the last time I checked). 

UNKNOWN is such a great player. Too bad he is not more widely known. He should be.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Zintar

bumping this awesome thread with more even more awesome clips. haha.

here's a vid I put together from some filming of the sessions that resulted in an album I did with Zoogz Rift. (1998).

a goofy cover of a big hit from Olivia Newton-John. I arranged our cheesy version and also played guitar.

Guest Zintar

This video is pretty neat. The song is called Puke Island Paradise. Footage from one of my old rehearsal spaces.  It was written by Zoogz Rift and is also the reason and how I ultimately came

to making a bunch of music with Zoogz. Cool story actually . . . Anyhow, it was on an album by one of my many/older projects. Band was called WET FOOD. If anybody wants

some free music, dl's or cd's. pm me or post here.