UnevenEdge
BUU8800

What Anime Are You Watching Right Now?

Life Lessons with Uramichi Oniisan 9 (dub)

Whether he's screaming at his ex-girlfriend over the phone or pissing himself on the race track, JYB's voice makes everything better.

Yashahime: Princess Half-Demon S2 ep 6

Spoiler

Just realized the princess reminds me of Kodachi Kuno from Ranma 1/2. 
Probably because of the annoying laugh.

Edited by blueraven1999

The Ancient Magus' Bride 13

I like the first OP and ED a lot more than the second.

Edited by blueraven1999

Fire Force 15

The first OP and ED are much better than the new ones this episode.

I miss the first ones especially the first ED.  It was so good.

Edited by blueraven1999

Nichijou 13-18
My Next Life as a Villainess: All Routes Lead to Doom! 6-12
Showtime! Uta no Onee-san Datte Shitai 6/7
takt op. Destiny 1
Good Luck Girl! 2

Yup, I'm keeping busy.

I want to go in-depth in Villainess for a bit, because this show surprised me in multiple ways. Actually, the only reason I started watching it was because Poke did content ratings for it. My policy on this stuff is that if either an official network or someone else who does formal ratings has seen it, I don't need to do them. So it gave me a cheat I could use while I settled into the habit of rating (as in, typing out my reasons for) everything else. And yet, I ended up loving this show. Totally obsessed with Catarina and the rest, to the point where I've been looking up merchandise of the series. Who knows if I'll actually buy any, since this stuff would be imported from Japan and probably only palatable to countrymen and weebs with big salaries. But given that I've bought limited merch before, we'll see.

Finer points:

• I came into this show not knowing that "reincarnated into an otome game villain" is the most popular flavor of isekai for women. So it's weird to think that a parody of the genre ended up getting an anime first, unless there's another show I don't know about. Not that I care, although I kinda want to pretend that this is a totally original concept for a series that nobody's tried to imitate. And guess what? They're making a ComicFesta show with this premise, which I find even more awkward. Good thing we're getting a second season of the Songstress show to go with it.
  • A lot of the doom flag stuff feels corny to me, like trying to force RPG mechanics into every other isekai story. Still, the moments with Catarina's inner monologue were cute, on top of being a voice acting showcase for Maaya Uchida.
  • All of the characters are great. Most of them have a particular trait that stands out, but then you've got Mary, who... well, I can't remember what her deal was supposed to be, aside from probably being a royal. But she has great comedic chemistry, just like the rest of the cast, so I cut her some slack.
  • Seriously, this show is funny. Episodes 7 and 8 were my favorites, but the latter stands out for its fun premise, doing the sort of "wild take" humor that Nichijou trades in maybe better than Nichijou itself, and a wild climax.
Spoiler

The last two episodes were interesting because I wasn't sure if this show would have a dedicated villain. But then the Sirius/Raphael plot happened, and I thought the show handled it surprisingly well for being so compressed. All the characters talking about how Catarina made their lives better was delivered with gravitas, and probably could've made me cry if I was a normal person. I also enjoyed the look into Catarina's past life (I would say it's a rather novel approach, but I'm not well-versed enough in isekai stories to be an authority), and Acchan giving her past self the key bit of info Catarina needed to find Maria could've gone over poorly, but the show did a good enough job setting it up that I didn't care. Then they squished the parts of the Sirius plotline that mattered into half an episode, complete with Catarina using the power of radical empathy to make him better. Aww.

There is one thing I'm iffy about, though. If Catarina knew all along that there was a friendship ending... I mean, she's probably just that dumb after all. 😎

In short, lookin' forward to S2. And the dub, since Sentai is putting this one out on Blu-ray.

• Like 1