UnevenEdge

One Piece Episode #617 Discussion

1 minute ago, atomicinumatt said:

Wait, there is a new Little Mermaid? How was I not aware of this? haha 

Not sure how you missed it, when there's been a "culture war" waging over it, ever since the cast was announced a few years ago. *sigh*

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, ben0119 said:

Not sure how you missed it, when there's been a "culture war" waging over it, ever since the cast was announced a few years ago. *sigh*

I will admit that advertisement tends to go over my head unless I am seeking it out haha 

Also, why is there a culture war over it? are people made that another movie is being remade or something?

Edited by atomicinumatt

5 minutes ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Oddly enough, the fact that the gas flowed into him and powered him up DID protect the soldiers in that chamber, it seems!

Well, so much for that theory, as Caesar Clown is such an asshole he killed them himself!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, atomicinumatt said:

I will admit that advertisement tends to go over my head unless I am seeking it out haha 

Also, why is there a culture war over it? are people made that another movie is being remade or something?

They were mad that the Mermaid is black and recently even making arguments it wouldn't make sense for a Mermaid to develop dark skin under water where little to no sunlight can reach.  But then other people gave examples of dark colored fish LOL.

I don't know if mermaids' coloration is like fish scales, which can be anything, or melanin based like humans (for at least the humanoid top half,) but the "debate" has gotten more ridiculous the longer it's gone on, as you can see.  Of course, some of the detractors were straight up racist.

And now there's an argument over lyrics being changed.  I think "kiss the girl" was changed.  Not like Eric wasn't being manipulated or tricked by Ursula.  I sure never got an impression that Aeriel was being forced to be with Eric in the old movie.  Hell, if anything, Eric was the reward for her, not the other way around!

This stuff gets very tiresome after a while.  I doubt the movie will be earth shattering or anything, so all this arguing won't amount to anything, when all is said and done.  And of course, the original movie will still exist.

I honestly never watched any of these remakes because I heard they were basically exactly the same, except in live action (with a few changes.)

3 minutes ago, ben0119 said:

They were mad that the Mermaid is black and recently even making arguments it wouldn't make sense for a Mermaid to develop dark skin under water where little to no sunlight can reach.  But then other people gave examples of dark colored fish LOL.

I don't know if mermaids' coloration is like fish scales, which can be anything, or melanin based like humans (for at least the humanoid top half,) but the "debate" has gotten more ridiculous the longer it's gone on, as you can see.  Of course, some of the detractors were straight up racist.

Ah, I see. 

Not what I expected but i guess in today's climate that sadly makes sense. 

I do not see what the big deal is. I mean actors of varying ethnicity and race can play any characters in plays, movies, etc., though not that I care either way. What can I say, I was not a big fan of the LM in the first place haha 

Edited by atomicinumatt

20 minutes ago, atomicinumatt said:

Ah, I see. 

I do not see what the big deal is. I mean actors of varying ethnicity and race can play any characters is plays, movies, etc., though not that I care either way. What can I say, I was not a big fan of the LM in the first place haha 

Well, the other argument was, the Mermaid should stay white because the original fairy tale author was Danish, and the argument against, is there's nothing intrinsically "Dutch" about the story (I sure never noticed, myself,) like other legends and fairy tales that very much reflect certain cultures and where you wouldn't want to put in other ethnicities that wouldn't fit (like Moana or whatever.)  And it's just gone on and on.

One thing that was sort of jarring for me was that series that put in a black Guenivere.  We're so used to seeing just white people in those old fantasy stories, but also the King Arthor stories are from and about medieval England, where I'm pretty sure most of the people were white, and certainly any nobles and royals would have been.  Although the rest of that series (think it was called Merlin) did not look appealing anyway. 

I still say the movie Excalibur is THE King Arthur movie. 

The production and costumes, epic score, classical British actors (including Patrick Stewart!), it can't be beat!  That movie from a while back called King Arthur about the possible real Arthur fighting against the Roman Empire was pretty good, too.

I heard the new Lord of the Rings series tried to solve this problem and only made it worse, since the white elves are higher ranked over the other elves and also genocidal against the Orcs (who I guess are an actual race and not just evil creatures haha.) 

Lord of the Rings isn't an ancient or even medieval story, so I can see that being made more diverse logically (plus the world is totally made up and not medieval England,) but it obviously wasn't handled well haha.  Here is the video I saw about it -

I don't agree with all the criticism given about the original Lord of the Rings, but this new series definitely didn't seem to help matters!

Little Mermaid is part of the Disney Renaissance along with Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, and Lion King, so it's regarded pretty highly, but that doesn't mean everyone will be a huge fan. 

Edited by ben0119

On 5/21/2023 at 1:04 AM, atomicinumatt said:

Ah, I see. 

I do not see what the big deal is. I mean actors of varying ethnicity and race can play any characters in plays, movies, etc., though not that I care either way. What can I say, I was not a big fan of the LM in the first place haha 

I liked the animation in the chase scenes. I found it oddly reminiscent in one of my favorite Disney movies of all time, The Sword In The Stone!