UnevenEdge

Food Wars! 5th Plate Episode 5 (#78) "Convenience Store Brawl" Discussion!!

6 minutes ago, DangerMouse said:

Hunting down poachers

I was glad to hear Rindo was doing something like that, even if it means she can't appear in the arc.

5 minutes ago, DangerMouse said:

"Is that impressive?"

Thanks Soma!

Does anyone even want that position?

What does the position entail again?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ben0119 said:

I was glad to hear Rindo was doing something like that, even if it means she can't appear in the arc.

What does the position entail again?

Sounded like a personal chef position for that tower lady.

Edited by DangerMouse

2 hours ago, ben0119 said:

So Erina's challenge is being glossed over?  Kinda lame.  Wonder if it was like that in the manga too.

I like her new look though.

Yeah, now that you mention it kinda weird too, we've followed her the whole way and since she's now on our side so you'd think we'd see each of her matches in her big trial.

To be fair Erina is fighting dozens of opponents at once and any depiction of that would sell the situation short so it’s probably better not to show the process. That and she never went up against the chefs that lost the prior challenges in the manga.

By this point in the manga they haven’t shown what Erina was doing and it’s implied she didn’t have any challenges before the third gate. She also didn’t have so many chats with Asahi while watching contestants and I get the feeling they won’t have their conversation about his time with Joichiro because that material was repurposed and told at an earlier point. Erina didn’t watch Soma’s first challenge and I think the anime did her a bit dirty by having her come off as naive regarding what the old Noir chef would want. I guess they felt Asahi should be explaining things rather than the spiky haired Noir chef who took an interest in Soma.

Good gravy Lanterby just straight up reached for her crotch. They’re not even trying to be clever at this point they’re just showing her in the act. xD They didn’t actually do that in the manga but they did have both the wardrobe malfunctions caused by Tsukasa and Soma. Someone at JC Staff just decided “this time let’s just have her slowly move her hand down from her throat to her crotch!” BTW you can thank the anime staff for introducing Lanterby in the first challenge because in the manga she wasn’t there till the second. More Lanterby is win for the anime watchers!

Its fine that Soma lost the first attempt but the logic for why the first one was pathetic and his second one was incredible really doesn’t track. I suppose I shouldn’t expect consistency here. Likewise you could argue Tsukasa didn’t use every part of his ingredients so why is Soma looked down on for only using the jam of the bread? It seems like he used everything else he had for ingredients and theoretically there was some strawberry jam in a container somewhere in that store so the bread wasn’t even necessary but he did use the jam bread (for the jam) in the manga.

There’s a lot in this arc that’s barely shown and I thought it was just that way in the anime but the manga didn’t show anything more from Megumi and Takumi’s challenges at the first gate so nothing more was seen of the baby food and dog/owner food challenges.

So far the anime has added and changed several things. The beach event took place after Soma lost to Asahi and Erina was looking into Noir and having Totsuki affiliated chefs track them down before Asahi showed up. Asahi briefly kidnaps Erina during the beach exam and reveals his intentions then rather than show up in her bedroom some other night. That happened right after she had that nice moment with Soma on the balcony and made for quite a juxtaposition. Joichiro also showed up at the beach to talk to Soma about Asahi and The BLUE but that had to be reordered since they moved the beach exam to before Soma’s battle with Asahi. Making the beach exam the first episode of the season certainly messed with the flow a bit. I suppose it did keep Suzuki’s identity a mystery for a little bit longer and played up that angle but in turn they omitted Suzuki’s several attempts to princely court Erina before he revealed his true intentions. 

As for additions, there was no soup competition to decide the Totsuki participants for The BLUE. Soma, Megumi and Takumi were all invited directly. Maybe the anime staff felt the audience would want more of an explanation up front so they hastily threw in a short competition. I feel like it sorta undercuts why they are actually chosen but Toonami hasn’t gotten to the point where that becomes evident.

Can you guess who the Book Master is? At this point I already was pretty sure and I was right.

I haven’t be reading these threads because I just caught up so I don’t know if anybody else has sighted the differences between the anime and the manga for this arc. I hope I didn’t bore ya’ll with a needless wall of text. I do find the difference’s interesting so I wanted to talk about them.

Edited by Sketch
  • Like 2