UnevenEdge

Bleach

The1gairon

I guessed that was the video by Super Eyepatch Wolf but then discovered it wasn't.  You should also watch that one.

The one you linked?

Alright, just watched it.  While I agree that the mangaka workload and schedule is ridiculous, having no place in modern society, and I appreciate him shining a spotlight on Kubo's issues with his editors and the magazine, I don't agree with a lot of the other stuff he said. 

Sure, some plot points and character archetypes might be repetitive (I believe the latter was deliberate as Kubo would often match-up characters with similar or opposite personalities and beliefs in fights), but I don't agree with the world being hollow or that Kubo "stopped giving it his all."  I really enjoy the lore and world of Bleach.  It's got some really interesting and creative stuff in there.  For example, the Soul Society combines feudal Japan with ghoulish stuff like out of Beetlejuice.  Then he brings up examples.  Naruto's "world" is a bunch of villages that look identical with rare exception, and forests.  The story has been repeating the same Sasuke bullshit, multiple characters being "just like Naruto", among other things, for a while now.  So if we want to blame repetitiveness, and a decline in quality for loss in popularity, how do you explain Naruto?  Would also like to mention that Bleach was still selling really well, even if it wasn't as much as it once was, and I feel there's a whole lot of BS to that supposed "ranking" thing.  One Piece has an interesting world and deep world, yes, but it's not repetitive?  There's nothing formulaic about its story arcs?  Really?  I mean, I enjoy One Piece, but I'm not going to pretend there isn't a very noticeable pattern there.  Luffy, among others, hasn't really changed much as the story has progressed, but I don't feel that characters need to change to be enjoyable or interesting.  Not all people change in real life, after all.  I agree with him on Ichigo to an extent, though.  I like him enough, don't hate him or anything, but I can only count one person that I'm aware of in my experience with the fandom that considers him their favorite character.  Not a good sign.  I also agree that the art was getting confusing in some of those pages in the last arc.

Very interesting.  Is saw a news article on this but it didn't go into nearly this much detail.  It's cool that we're finally learning more about the 4 Noble Families.  Looks like this book is going to deal with a few untapped plots that Kubo didn't have time to put into the main series.  There's definitely fertile ground for that.  I hope these light novels get official translated release.  They're selling really well in Japan, by the way.

Orochimaru?  Didn't think about that.  The article I read said the guy looks like Gin, and I'm inclined to agree.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So apparently that Bleach live-action movie is still happening, and ANN just posted the first sneak-peek!! :o

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-07-06/live-action-bleach-film-teaser-trailer-shows-ichigo-defeating-hollow/.118516

Really not much to go off from that.

Ichigo's hair is supposed to be spikey!

I hope the movie has better music than that.  Something similar to the great score the series had.  Hopefully that's just teaser music.

Either way, I'm seeing it regardless, heh.

I might watch this, but I'm not sure. The fight music sounded okay to me.

Of course, since this is supposed to focus on the Substitute Shinigami Arc, that means no Shirosaki or Hichigo to enjoy. :(

Do it. The first 2 seasons are the best.  Though of course there are a few later episodes that are excellent.

I remember the music being tots rockin.  I thought it was unlike anything I heard at the time, but then i watched more anime and saw other OSTs that are similar.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Today is Ichigo's birthday.  May u get to bang any Bleach chick you want. If we're talking about the married!Ichigo, then I hope you still get to do that with Orihime.  Again...

Kurosaki.Ichigo.full.1177077.jpg

My personal headcanon is Ichigo, Orihime, Rukia, and Renji are all in a polyamorous relationship. :D

While Yuzu watches from the Rukia Closet! :D

Do it. The first 2 seasons are the best.  Though of course there are a few later episodes that are excellent.

I remember the music being tots rockin.  I thought it was unlike anything I heard at the time, but then i watched more anime and saw other OSTs that are similar.

Think he was talking about the movie.  And what anime has an OST similar to Bleach?

By the way, you might want to change the thread title to "Bleach General Discussion Thead" or something.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

News about the dead Bleach Hollywood movie: Tite Kubo was in a recent interview and confirmed that he was responsible for ending the film's development, as it was seeming clear that the studio wanted it to be very much like Dragonball Evolution. They were, among many other things, going to move the setting to an American high school.

http://comicbook.com/anime/2017/11/13/bleach-hollywood-live-action-adaptation-bad-reasoning/

2 hours ago, elfie said:

News about the dead Bleach Hollywood movie: Tite Kubo was in a recent interview and confirmed that he was responsible for ending the film's development, as it was seeming clear that the studio wanted it to be very much like Dragonball Evolution. They were, among many other things, going to move the setting to an American high school.

http://comicbook.com/anime/2017/11/13/bleach-hollywood-live-action-adaptation-bad-reasoning/

Way to go Kubo!  My respect for you has gone WAY up!

On 11/15/2017 at 7:10 PM, elfie said:

Oh, well that's good!

• 2 weeks later...

On 11/29/2017 at 11:37 PM, elfie said:

SHONEN Jump Magazine will have 2 artists do a one-shot for an upcoming issue, and one of the artists is Tite Kubo. It will be incredibly short, but it will be his first brand new manga since Bleach ended!

I'll be interested to see that.  Hopefully it gets localized.  Hope Kubo is well and has healed up.

Edited by ben0119
  • Like 1

Update on that story from a while back on that dying fan that sent Kubo a letter of encouragement that stopped him from giving up on continuing the series.  He was able to get in touch with the sender, who was a friend of the boy's staying in the same hospital.

https://kotaku.com/bleach-manga-creator-and-a-fans-dying-wish-1821249595

Sad but heartwarming and uplifting at the same time.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Images have rolled out for the Japanese live-action movie. Rukia is played by Hana Sugisaki.  

One of the things I really hate about live-action adaptations of anything is that as an animator I REALLY take value in the outline direction of the forms! You. CANNOT. Replicate an anime character in live action.  Period. (Attyla is getting close though) And with Rukia being one of my most beloved Bleach characters, this especially makes me miffed. ... really?? That one strand of hair just DROOPS DOWNWARD?? Not fashionable.

• Like 1

http://comicbook.com/anime/2018/02/03/bleach-new-shinigami-manga-anthology/

Kubo drew a brand new shinigami for an event that looks eerily like Urahara. Maybe if it were colored we'd understand more about what makes him different. The rooster on his head is a bit odd, but then, Kubo has always done some things we question.

Maybe this guy just loves cock over his head.

Edited by elfie

She has a pony tail, too... Hmm not so sure about that for Rukia's look.  Seems like they tried to go for a more realistic interpretation, instead of making it look just like the anime.  Problem is, if you try to make it look just like the anime, it looks really weird sometimes, even the animes with more "normal" and "subdued" hairstyles and looks.

16870524997_e2be1e339f_b.jpg

o0800045013016664024.jpg

It's a no-win scenario, really.

• Confused 1

On 2/7/2018 at 10:12 AM, elfie said:

http://comicbook.com/anime/2018/02/03/bleach-new-shinigami-manga-anthology/

Kubo drew a brand new shinigami for an event that looks eerily like Urahara. Maybe if it were colored we'd understand more about what makes him different. The rooster on his head is a bit odd, but then, Kubo has always done some things we question.

Maybe this guy just loves cock over his head.

Have no idea what's going on with rooster man. :D Anyway, this guy looks more smug and snooty than Urahara.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Jman said:

So the Bleach movie hit Netflix and spoiler - It’s actually not that bad.  The effects and action are good, and LA Ichigo and Rukia apparently have an insane amount of chemistry on-screen.

Woah someone other than me posting here!  :o Could it be a live-action remake movie of an anime is something I might ENJOY and that DOESN'T suck?? I may just check it out.

3 hours ago, Jman said:

I started to.

Then again, this is BLEACH so we’re grading on a curve here.

I don't know, man. Someone made a live action version of King's Game and it was genuinely a good movie, albeit low budget. Bleach has no excuse given the source material isn't quite as hilariously incompetent.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually my big question for the movie is - Why is Orihime there?

I mean seriously.  The core of the film is the friendship and romance between Ichigo and Rukia, and it’s not a ship thing like the anime.  But there’s Orihime.  Admitting she wants Ichigo and...that’s about it.

Also training montage > training episodes.

Edited by Jman

I watched the movie some time ago. It felt like it could’ve been a decent enough standalone film if they didn’t push Renji and Byakuya in so soon. Not just because they look Iooked like cheesy cosplayers in the realisic backdrop of the film’s Karakura Town, but it forces the film to try to rush Ichigo into fighting other soul reapers when he’s barely equipped to fight hollows. His training was laughably terrible and he comes off as completely incompetent in the whole hollow-fighting business when that was his entire responsibility after he took Rukia’s powers. By the time he fought Renji in the original, he was already plowing through hollows, which is why it seemed like an insane power gap for Ichigo to get bodied by Renji. In the movie, his skills are so shit that he would’ve had a hard time against him regardless because he was only strong enough to beat two hollows by the end of the film. 

As for Orihime, she did fade off into the distance because the plot would only allow her to be jealous and jilted over Ichigo training with Rukia. Tatsuki trying to make Orihime even more jealous with rumors and gossip she heard was also strange, but the only friend who served a purpose in the film was Chad blocking debris near the end. It seems like Orihime was there merely to amplify the bond Ichigo and Rukia have by drawing attention to it. Like a device to prop up the film’s pairing of choice.