UnevenEdge

Bleach

The1gairon

A thread about anything Bleach in general.  Yeah, the show that used to run on ASA, and then Toonami, Ie, Dragonball Z with swords, ie, Adult Swim's golden goose at the front of the block before Kai arrived?  So anything related to it goes here, be it opinions, memories, merch, news, fanart, stories, blah.  I don't expect this thread to be very popular here, but hey it's worth a shot. And with me having to do a Bleach fan comic page every week, I KIIIIIIINDA can't forget about it.

Goodness. The Bleach game Brave Souls just passed 20 million downloads!  It's that popular!?!?  https://twitter.com/Saber893/status/844287329015615488  I had no idea! I never even seen any hype about it or anything!

:D  Oh yeah I forgot you also ship them.  Yes, I acknowledge that the ending to the manga is crap, but I am so pleased with the pairing Kubo went with.  I hope he at least returns from a long break and does some kind of epilogue, or maybe the anime will continue for one last season. 

d672c36a67912ca63aefc9cfdbe846a51256324361_full.jpg

next_time____by_nekosaiko-d4ds806.jpg

H88  I had no idea! I never even seen any hype about it or anything!

Most of the people playing it are outside of the US and not speaking English. They also fit the teenage target demographic.

I too imagine the series to end at Soul Society, when Aizen, Gin, and black dude's name I forget rise to the heavens.q

I was very obsessed with the series when it first came on. After the Soul Society stuff, I was still on-board (even during the Bount arc slogfest), but my interest started waning when they went to Hueco Mundo to just do the same rescue mission as the last arc, but with a different princess in a different castle. I think I only saw an episode or two of the timeskip material and kept up with the spoilers until the end.

I guess that's why I've been hard on Bleach; it had so much potential, but only lived up to it for a couple arcs before Kubo shat it all away. I guess the silverlining was that there were some great boobs along the way, and I'm glad that Ichigo ended up with Orihime.

I was very obsessed with the series when it first came on. After the Soul Society stuff, I was still on-board (even during the Bount arc slogfest), but my interest started waning when they went to Hueco Mundo to just do the same rescue mission as the last arc, but with a different princess in a different castle. I think I only saw an episode or two of the timeskip material and kept up with the spoilers until the end.

I guess that's why I've been hard on Bleach; it had so much potential, but only lived up to it for a couple arcs before Kubo shat it all away. I guess the silverlining was that there were some great boobs along the way, and I'm glad that Ichigo ended up with Orihime.

The Bount Arc felt like it went on forever. ...... but little did I know that we would ever witness that horse-drawn carriage of an arc  that is Hueco Mundo, when THAT felt like it went on even longer than that (it did).  The Lost Shinigami Arc was one last hurrah for the anime and felt like it was a breath of fresh air.  They weren't doing the same damsel in distress story a third time, and the animation was the best its ever been.

It was another victim of the horrible Shonen JUMP business model.

I remember putting up with the Bount arc because I was still immersed in the Bleach fandom and figured "eh, it is filler so it's just fluff to pad time before we get to the good stuff". And then the payoff was the Arrancar arc that became on-par with filler quality as soon as they got to Hueco Mundo. The vizards were nice, but didn't show up for a while all the while we were given the Peche & Dondachakka Show or the Rescue arc retreads.

I do remember some of the first chapters of the Lost Shinigami arc, but the only lasting impression I got from it was wanting to see more of Ikumi and the part time job Ichigo had with her, and I wanted to check in on what everyone looked like after the timeskip. I remember Riruka existing, but not much else cause I think I tuned out around when Ichigo keeps getting the invitation. If I opened up to it, I could've watched that arc well, but I didn't like anything I heard about the Quincy War chapters.

Shonen Jump had gotten very odd. They keep putting pressure on popular series' to continue to try to find that next One Piece, but it seems like alot of them can't keep it up. The one nice thing about Bleach's longevity is that he had good material for a much longer duration of time than alot of the other SJ titles that would decline in quality after the first year or so. It's kind of mindblowing now that I'm looking it up and Kubo had a good four years in from the beginning to the end of the Soul Society arc.

Bleach for me was also particularly good as a show to have on in the background, if nothing else.  I was quite behind on the show by the time of Toonami's revival, so I wasn't watching it, but I liked to leave it on in the background.  Feels sort of nostalgic, now that I think about it.

On another note, I edited together (rather shittily) and ending for Bleach that has Aizen, Gin and Tosen all getting killed by the King of Hueco Mundo.  I got my inspiration for it from the ending of Flame of Recca, where

one of the villains runs the other villain over in a car, immediately before the car explodes for no good reason.  All in the span of about 5 seconds.

At the very least, if I choose to think of Bleach as ending at the Soul Society, this kind of gives it some closure.

Fun story: I have still never finished the Bleach anime.  I'd fallen way behind on the block back then, and I managed to limp my way through the final filler arc, but I'd long since resigned myself to watching only for completion's sake, and knowing that what awaited was a random timeskip and one random arc that wouldn't lead anywhere pretty much killed the rest of my motivation.  At some point I'll finally go back and kill the thing off, but I'll have to be pretty damn bored to do so.

One time I was so into it, I went ahead and watched the subbed episodes online, all the way up to the latest one airing in Japan.  Then it became one of my weekly anime seasonal watches until its end in 2012. 

No matter how bad, I was very devoted to not missing an episode.  The filler arc with Nozomi and Kon was pretty much the only one I skipped, because I was so upset that it was yet another long filler arc after JUST HAVING one before it!

One time I was so into it, I went ahead and watched the subbed episodes online, all the way up to the latest one airing in Japan.  Then it became one of my weekly anime seasonal watches until its end in 2012. 

No matter how bad, I was very devoted to not missing an episode.  The filler arc with Nozomi and Kon was pretty much the only one I skipped, because I was so upset that it was yet another long filler arc after JUST HAVING one before it!

Don't forget watching all the omake. The omake were probably the only thing that got me though filler arcs, I always looked forward to them.

Don't forget watching all the omake. The omake were probably the only thing that got me though filler arcs, I always looked forward to them.

Remember? I also made comics of the omakes using screenshots from the episodes, because Toonami/ASA wouldn't usually air them due to the edited opening and ending credits and i wanted people on ASMB to witness them somehow.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Rukia used to be my girl. She's the first bleach character I liked, and she even holds the distinction of being the first anime plushie I ever bought and still own.  However, overtime I realized Kubo kind of ran out of things to do with her, and I realized she wouldn't quite belong with Ichigo due to how he is alive and she's dead.  Orihime is now my girl, along with a few others like Senna.

• 4 weeks later...

I would think that persistent pain would cause Kubo to see a doctor before it got to the point of damaged bone and tendons. There is a phrase in Japanese for "ergonomic." It's ningen kōgaku ni motodzuita, according to Google, so it is a consideration in the society. I guess it's his fault for not finding a less physically stressing way to work. 

I don't know if there is such a thing in Japan as non physically stressful work.  It's funny and tragic how any story I read of a Japanese worker is that they always have points where they just end up in the hospital because they don't sleep or eat due to work. On Did You Know Gaming the main guy that Made Smash Bros ended up in the hospital because he forgot to eat. Its the damn country that invented cup noodles, and vending machine pizza. You would think taking time to eat and work at the same time wouldn't be an issue.

What is it about fans drawing Ichigo x Isshin!?!? It's disgusting!

Luckily, I haven't run into that yet. I let sibling incest fanart slide when the characters are close in age, and hell, self incest or whatever that's called. But, I'm a solid nope on parent/child incest.

The first 14 episodes were probably the best. Probably because they were Hallow-of-the-week type deals. After that it just seemed that it was one unending arc after another. Half the time spent in those arcs was characters either stating the obvious, stating what you were watching them doing or trying to explain what's going on. To top it off, when you finally got to the Hueco Mondo Arcs, the only interesting characters were the Arrancar. You could really care less what happened to the soul reapers ... but for some reason, all of them lived. Must be a Japanese thing to focus on the most boring characters throughout a series.

Fact: Kubo said the Hueco Mundo Arc became so long because his publisher said fans loved the Arrancar.  So it was out of his control.

I loved Bleach since the beginning and always have.  It's got one of the best first episodes of any long running Shonen and draws you in right off the bat.  One of my favorite series, for sure.  Not going to say it was a perfect series or that the quality was consistent, but I definitely don't agree with all the people that say it took a nosedive after the Soul Society Arc or that it should have ended there, etc.  Yes, The Arc Which Shall Not Be Named was so bad that I blocked most of it from my memory, but I'll stand by most of the canon material any day.  Lots of great and epic moments come after the Soul Society Arc, and lots of characters get their due and time in the spotlight.  I was loyal up to the end and I anxiously hope a new anime to cover the final arc comes to pass.

Fact: Kubo said the Hueco Mundo Arc became so long because his publisher said fans loved the Arrancar.  So it was out of his control.

That's not the only things that were out of control.  Grimmjow was originally meant to die fairly quickly (a one fight villain, I imagine), but his role was extended due to his popularity.  Kubo wanted to kill off some good guys in the Fake Karakura Town Arc but was stopped because editors thought it would hurt sales.  They rushed him to end the Substitute Arc and move on to Soul Society because they felt it was too similar to Yu Yu Hakusho.  Regardless of that, Substitute Arc is great and shouldn't have been able to go as long as Kubo wanted.  And there's plenty of other examples.  Kubo probably had more freedom with the last arc because the series was winding down at that point, and I'm thankful for many of the things he got to do with that arc.

Who give a fuck about pairings?  The manga was mostly loveless, with these couples being barely, if at all, built up over the course of it.  They go from not even holding hands to having babies at the end.  The romance happens during a timeskip.  It's like placing two action figures beside each other.  Kubo would always say that he doesn't do romances because he felt there were better and more interesting things he could do with the characters.  Then he breaks his rule at the end and has the romance happen off-screen to effectively have his cake and eat it too.

I care more about the development and accomplishments of the characters themselves.  I think Rukia did pretty well for herself and ended up in a good place by the end of the series.

She made achieved Bankai and made Captain! :)

Orihime on the other hand got unfortunately shafted in a lot of ways.  Remember that whole thing of her rejecting the Hogyoku and nothing ever coming of it?  It would have been nice if she got more to do.  I mean, if didn't have the heart of a fighter and wasn't suited for it, fine, but I still felt like she didn't do enough, even in a non-fighting role. 

She was able to block Bach's attack with her barrier though, and that's nothing to sneeze at.

Funny thinking back that I based the personalities in the comic more on the omake versions of the characters.

Those omakes, along with similarly toned filler episodes, are based on bonus segments from the manga, though, so I wouldn't really call this a different version of the characters.  For example, there have been similar humorous moments with Byakuya in the main series.  Maybe different circumstances or events, etc.  The omakes are a glimpse of their daily lives, so the characters aren't going to act the same as they would in the heat of battle, etc.  I also like the added lore and world building contained in them.  I binged all these omakes some time ago.  They're pretty great.

I tend to agree a lot with this guy's take on things.  Still not sure if the real/main reason was Kubo's health or the magazine axing it, but fuck Jump regardless. 

Unfortunate about those notes getting lost though.  I'm sure it's not the only mangaka that's happened to, though.  Shit happens.

I loved Bleach since the beginning and always have.  It's got one of the best first episodes of any long running Shonen and draws you in right off the bat.  One of my favorite series, for sure.  Not going to say it was a perfect series or that the quality was consistent, but I definitely don't agree with all the people that say it took a nosedive after the Soul Society Arc or that it should have ended there, etc.  Yes, The Arc Which Shall Not Be Named was so bad that I blocked most of it from my memory, but I'll stand by most of the canon material any day.  Lots of great and epic moments come after the Soul Society Arc, and lots of characters get their due and time in the spotlight.  I was loyal up to the end and I anxiously hope a new anime to cover the final arc comes to pass.

Bleach is still very near my heart.

And having to draw a Bleach fan comic for years after the anime ended certainly helps.

I tend to agree a lot with this guy's take on things.  Still not sure if the real/main reason was Kubo's health or the magazine axing it, but fuck Jump regardless. 

Unfortunate about those notes getting lost though.  I'm sure it's not the only mangaka that's happened to, though.  Shit happens.

I guessed that was the video by Super Eyepatch Wolf but then discovered it wasn't.  You should also watch that one.

Harem ends never win  :(

Ichigo-ichigo-kurosaki-33145395-500-250.gif

IMG_3356.GIF

Hahaha, Rukia and Ichigo both had their own harems as the series went along, and I'm sure they weren't the only ones. :D Why does Ichigo have to pick one?!

Hell, how do we know Ichigo, Orihime, Rukia, and Renji aren't having four-ways while Yuzu watches from the Rukia Closet? :D Kubo never said those relationships were monogamous!  Imagining this helps salvage the ending. :D