UnevenEdge

Might've just had a job offer to work at a funeral home.

I'm not sure if this old man was serious or joking, but he was like "sure stick around make youself at home. You can even help me with this cremation I think I've got one ready to go in. I might have a job for you if you want. He is is the owner or founder of a local funeral home that's even named after him. I do know that one of my managers at autozone used to help him in the crematorium, but only because his wife worked there and she quit.

TLDR version I might've just passed up tossing a dead body into a fire today, and maybe even a job doing it.

That old man's a little off though and it's hard to tell if he's serious about anything.  That manager I knew that was working with him supposedly took a few other people that worked at the Autozone and showed them how he cremated the bodies. He offered to take me one time as well, but I guess we never got a time set up.

Also this dude lives in a barn remodeled into a house...kind of thing in the back of the funeral home. His dog was in a cage out back and started  going ballistic for a little bit right after I thought I heard someone yelling at this guys front door like they wanted someone to open it..Dude opens the door and there was nothing in sight. :|

Edited by PhilosipherStoned

6 minutes ago, The_annoying_one said:

You must be a better man than I. I could never work in a funeral home.

Honestly I've always been curious about the field.. I think doing that for me would be something I'd have to try to see if it messes with me. The guy I know that used to work the crematorium there said he thought their spirits would follow him around sometimes, and he'd get spooked / superstitious even though he was an army tank mechanic in the past..

He could've been bullshitting though because I caught him in the store pushing boxes off the shelves in front of people trying to pass it off as a ghost several times. 🤣

Edited by PhilosipherStoned
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, PhilosipherStoned said:

Honestly I've always been curious about the field.. I think doing that for me would be something I'd have to try to see if it messes with me. The guy I know that used to work the crematorium there said he thought their spirits would follow him around sometimes, and he'd get spooked / superstitious even though he was an army tank mechanic in the past..

He could've been bullshitting though because I caught him in the store pushing boxes off the shelves in front of people trying to pass it off as a ghost several times. 🤣

I don’t believe in ghosts/spirits, or anything like that. I just couldn’t spend my day around dead bodies. 
The owner sounds like he has a hell of a sense of humor, though. That’s probably a good thing.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, The_annoying_one said:

I don’t believe in ghosts/spirits, or anything like that. I just couldn’t spend my day around dead bodies. 
The owner sounds like he has a hell of a sense of humor, though. That’s probably a good thing.

I vaguely remember my old manager talking about it but I don't think they do that many a day even in the crematorium, but he said he heard from the old man that there was plenty of money in it, and they really didn't need too many bodies coming through to turn a profit. As grim as that is.. On the other hand the old man said himself that most people are getting cremated these days because it's astronomically cheaper than the thousands for caskets, plots, body prep etc for a funeral service so..

IDK if I'm feeling especially wild one day I might see if he's actually serious, but I'm not sure about all that myself. 

24 minutes ago, PhilosipherStoned said:

I vaguely remember my old manager talking about it but I don't think they do that many a day even in the crematorium, but he said he heard from the old man that there was plenty of money in it, and they really didn't need too many bodies coming through to turn a profit. As grim as that is.. On the other hand the old man said himself that most people are getting cremated these days because it's astronomically cheaper than the thousands for caskets, plots, body prep etc for a funeral service so..

IDK if I'm feeling especially wild one day I might see if he's actually serious, but I'm not sure about all that myself. 

I get what you’re saying, and it makes sense. As far as cremation being astronomically cheaper than burial, that shit is 100% true. I lost my dad about a month ago. My siblings and I were trying to decide between cremation or burial. Cremation would’ve been about $6k. Burial (which is what we went with) was at least double that. It’s like the funeral director said a few months ago when my mom died (I’m paraphrasing here): Dying is a hell of a lot more expensive than living.

• Like 1

My uncle owned a mortuary in Cali, I've only seen the front lobby and his office so never actually seen anyone work there.

He at one point asked me if I'd move to Cali and learn the business and I was like that's a big fat negative....but I was young, and still thought I would become an Indy game developer so the prospect of a family business seemed shitty.

Doesn't matter now since he lost everything when he went to prison but I often think how things would have been if I took that leap.

I probably wouldn't have my kids, so nothing about that probability is tantalizing but I still like to ponder the what ifs.