UnevenEdge

Okay, time for a late night shower.

atomicinumatt

4 minutes ago, Vela said:

I can recommend all sorts of stuff but I'd have to know what you want to make first. :D  Like do you want to make clothing, a stuffed animal a soft fleece version of Marshmallow Head?  They'd all require different things :RoboTeeth:

Hmm, good point haha

I would have to think about that. Probably something small and simple, so I guess a stuffed animal? 😺

Edited by atomicinumatt

10 minutes ago, atomicinumatt said:

Hmm, good point haha

I would have to think about that. Probably something small and simple, so I guess a stuffed animal? 😺

A stuffed animal is usually a good starting point.  But as someone who looses patience easily I would recommend finding something that really sparks your interest so you don't loose interest.  You've got time to think about, I'm always around (at some point).

With that said, this fabric looks a little like Theo's fur.  It'd be hard to find a perfect match.

image.png.40f0deb7fd258585a13e1f08e499fc4f.png

• Like 1

Just now, Vela said:

A stuffed animal is usually a good starting point.  But as someone who looses patience easily I would recommend finding something that really sparks your interest so you don't loose interest.  You've got time to think about, I'm always around (at some point).

With that said, this fabric looks a little like Theo's fur.  It'd be hard to find a perfect match.

Dude, a stuffed Theo is a purrfect idea lmao my brain is mush today because thunderstorms kept me up all night basically.

I will make him a little stuffed toy of himself! 

8 minutes ago, atomicinumatt said:

Dude, a stuffed Theo is a purrfect idea lmao my brain is mush today because thunderstorms kept me up all night basically.

I will make him a little stuffed toy of himself! 

Ooo!  You can make a little pocket for catnip inside!

• Like 1

So the different styles you could do are endless

image.png.f2c7c5e91e7b6dd603d2dd20ffd35f89.png<---all four of these are beginner level.  image.png.b35a1a86fb1b4763bfb3249f36a3e92e.png<---this one is a ragdoll pattern and super easy.

image.png.6bf310bf400a56882c5255bd3825e89c.png<---traditional style, easy/medium difficulty.

image.png.157692e1fed07198efad4e8713a30bf1.png    <----This would be a chibi version of Theo.  I know there's no cat depicted but it's the same exact pattern except with wider ears set higher on the head and a cat tail on the back.  I would also suggest different fabric than the faux fur I mentioned earlier.  These in the picture are made out of fleece.  Fleece is very forgiving and what I use for a lot for cartoon character costumes.

But these three examples are what just popped up on the first page when I typed in "stuffed cat patterns sewing" on amazon.  You should google or go on amazon yourself and take a look.  Or,  you said you were good at drawing, you can post a pic of a drawing and I can work out a pattern for you.

Any face you like can be applied to any pattern.  Or you can decide to go w/o a face too.  Hmm...I've never made a toy specifically for a cat so I don't know if hard plastic eyes would be an issue, not safe, something he would or wouldn't like.  But you can easily use felt instead of hard plastic.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Vela said:

I know there's no cat depicted but it's the same exact pattern except with wider ears set higher on the head and a cat tail on the back.  I would also suggest different fabric than the faux fur I mentioned earlier.  These in the picture are made out of fleece.  Fleece is very forgiving and what I use for a lot for cartoon character costumes.

But these three examples are what just popped up on the first page when I typed in "stuffed cat patterns sewing" on amazon.  You should google or go on amazon yourself and take a look.  Or,  you said you were good at drawing, you can post a pic of a drawing and I can work out a pattern for you.

Any face you like can be applied to any pattern.  Or you can decide to go w/o a face too.  Hmm...I've never made a toy specifically for a cat so I don't know if hard plastic eyes would be an issue, not safe, something he would or wouldn't like.  But you can easily use felt instead of hard plastic.  

I will try and get on the Wacom this weekend and sketch out something I like for the schlongcat pillow and a Theo toy. It don't rally matter to me as long as it is cuddly and Theo will not care so long as there is catnip in it haha 

• Like 1

On 3/2/2023 at 9:51 PM, atomicinumatt said:

I will try and get on the Wacom this weekend and sketch out something I like for the schlongcat pillow and a Theo toy. It don't rally matter to me as long as it is cuddly and Theo will not care so long as there is catnip in it haha 

Awsome! (Sorry, I was out of state for a few days.)

Okay, so if/when you do the sketch keep in mind what material you'd like it to be made out of,

furry like this

image.png.65fd5697d62f4f54df3a6e72dbe431cb.png

fuzzy like this 

image.png.7626fdabb0a9c6dac58754cf4921839d.png

furry/fuzzy combo,

image.png.0ad028b6b97c883bb0eb4ac4782c1b4a.png  (I use the fabric from blankets often because it's easier than hunting fabric by the yard when looking online.)

or soft and squishy

image.png.a551560d2a4886101e83e27cb83c6f3c.png

Also, I keep looking at browns...but...you can also just have fun and pick something like this...

image.png.a804695fc34e4f35810a22a4feed502f.png  Just thinking that if I had a 6 foot plushy in my house I'd consider it a part of the decor and I would want it to match what ever room it's going to spend most of it's time in. 

However making it match my cat is also a cool idea so I'd have lots to consider...if it were me, lol.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Vela said:

Okay, so if/when you do the sketch keep in mind what material you'd like it to be made out of,

furry like this

image.png.65fd5697d62f4f54df3a6e72dbe431cb.png

fuzzy like this 

image.png.7626fdabb0a9c6dac58754cf4921839d.png

furry/fuzzy combo,

image.png.0ad028b6b97c883bb0eb4ac4782c1b4a.png  (I use the fabric from blankets often because it's easier than hunting fabric by the yard when looking online.)

or soft and squishy

Also, I keep looking at browns...but...you can also just have fun and pick something like this...

image.png.a804695fc34e4f35810a22a4feed502f.png  Just thinking that if I had a 6 foot plushy in my house I'd consider it a part of the decor and I would want it to match what ever room it's going to spend most of it's time in. 

However making it match my cat is also a cool idea so I'd have lots to consider...if it were me, lol.

I now know who to turn to if I ever wanted to cosplay as these people from the classic years of Doctor Who.

Survival%20-%201920x1080.jpg

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, hornedlizardman said:

I now know who to turn to if I ever wanted to cosplay as these people from the classic years of Doctor Who.

Survival%20-%201920x1080.jpg

The only labor intensive part would be the heads, the rest would be super simple (even though I hate making pants.)

Edited by Vela
The spots on the head were likely painted on, it's eveident that the body of the costumes were made out of different fabric than the heads and the patterns on the heads are specific.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Vela said:

Ah, no worries, I hope you enjoyed your vacation!

I have not been online in a couple days either and have been super busy with work and transitioning between projects, lots of meetings and have been having to interview dozens of people (I do some business development for my work when I am between projects and have been acting as a staffing lead this week. Big oof haha), so I have not had time to do much but work and sleep. 

but I definitely like fabric like this:

3 hours ago, Vela said:

Or something velour like! 

I think I want to make a giant body pillow to cuddle with on the sofa similar to what you suggested. Just something log shaped and with the paws and tail haha but I gotta make it super duper soft and cuddly and big as fuck:

On 3/2/2023 at 8:44 PM, Vela said:

image.png.9ece220f6632ff9955d8393a34372bf9.png 

Definitely with fabric that is brown and grey. 

I need something soft to cuddle other than my blanket while I am on the sofa so I figure this will be perfect for me haha It seems fairly straight forward too but I am sure I will muck it up a few times but I learn best by messing up lmao

Hopefully in the coming weeks I will have some more personal time again!!

2 minutes ago, atomicinumatt said:

Ah, no worries, I hope you enjoyed your vacation!

I have not been online in a couple days either and have been super busy with work and transitioning between projects, lots of meetings and have been having to interview dozens of people (I do some business development for my work when I am between projects and have been acting as a staffing lead this week. Big oof haha), so I have not had time to do much but work and sleep. 

but I definitely like fabric like this:

Or something velour like! 

I think I want to make a giant body pillow to cuddle with on the sofa similar to what you suggested. Just something log shaped and with the paws and tail haha but I gotta make it super duper soft and cuddly and big as fuck:

Definitely with fabric that is brown and grey. 

I need something soft to cuddle other than my blanket while I am on the sofa so I figure this will be perfect for me haha It seems fairly straight forward too but I am sure I will muck it up a few times but I learn best by messing up lmao

Hopefully in the coming weeks I will have some more personal time again!!

Eesh, 🤢 responsibility.  lol😄 

Good choice imo.  That type of fabric will be easy to pull into the shape you want while stuffing it because it's stretchy.  Long pillows like that are good for aligning your hips when you lay down!  Only thing is I wish I could lend you my wool carders (brushes that fluff up wool, or fiber-fill as you'll be using.) because you're going to need a ton of fiber-fill for such a large pillow and it's gunna be a pain to carder it by hand.  But if you keep telling yourself you only have to do it once in your life you'll get through it :D

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Vela said:

The only labor intensive part would be the heads, the rest would be super simple (even though I hate making pants.)

Hmm...okay. (And maybe I'm wrong, but the heads don't look painted on the face itself. Maybe with some kind of adhesive? I'm not sure.)

24 minutes ago, hornedlizardman said:

painted on the face itself. Maybe with some kind of adhesive? I'm not sure.)

Wait, I'm confused now...you mean like face paint/body paint on the actors skin?  What I meant to say was that the spots look like they were painted onto the fur of the headdresses, sorry if I was unclear.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Vela said:

Wait, I'm confused now...you mean like face paint/body paint on the actors skin?  What I meant to say was that the spots look like they were painted onto the fur of the headdresses, sorry if I was unclear.

Oh, okay. I misunderstood what you meant.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vela said:

Eesh, 🤢 responsibility.  lol😄 

Good choice imo.  That type of fabric will be easy to pull into the shape you want while stuffing it because it's stretchy.  Long pillows like that are good for aligning your hips when you lay down!  Only thing is I wish I could lend you my wool carders (brushes that fluff up wool, or fiber-fill as you'll be using.) because you're going to need a ton of fiber-fill for such a large pillow and it's gunna be a pain to carder it by hand.  But if you keep telling yourself you only have to do it once in your life you'll get through it :D

Lmao I want to learn so I can do it more in the future and get creative with it!

I gotta figure out a list of gear and materials that I will need like a wool carder and all the other stuff I will need to complete this. 

1 hour ago, Vela said:

@atomicinumatt 

Imma send you a PM about this that I just found...

image.png.f944e986813db1c21a73077642ea8ebb.png

OMG I forgot about these. I used to have a similar one several years ago but a girlfriend at the time 'borrowed' it and I have never seen it again haha instead of buying a new one now, I will just make a Theo version!!! bahahaha

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/8/2023 at 11:58 PM, atomicinumatt said:

Lmao I want to learn so I can do it more in the future and get creative with it!

I gotta figure out a list of gear and materials that I will need like a wool carder and all the other stuff I will need to complete this. 

OMG I forgot about these. I used to have a similar one several years ago but a girlfriend at the time 'borrowed' it and I have never seen it again haha instead of buying a new one now, I will just make a Theo version!!! bahahaha

Don't worry, I'll compile a supplies list for you once I get back home and back to my comp.