UnevenEdge

Made In Abyss Episode #21 (Season 2, Episode 8) Discussion!

2 minutes ago, atomicinumatt said:

They are outcast vagabonds who got kicked out of their country. I am sure the Abyss has twisted them, but they were twisted from the beginning too. 

Usually people who get kicked out of their homelands are innocent victims.  But I guess that isn't the case here.  Although, weren't the puritans responsible for the witch trials?  I guess not all outcasts are innocent after all.

• Like 1

Just now, Dark_Cloud_Overhead said:

Wow, what an absolutely tragic tale all around. I kind of got a new respect for Belaf though I'll say. He couldn't go along with what they were doing to Irumyuui. Kind of seems out of character though for him to then take Nanachi like he did, but I guess in a way it's what Nanachi wanted.

Yeah.

Yeah, it seems very out of character then.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ben0119 said:

Usually people who get kicked out of their homelands are innocent victims.  But I guess that isn't the case here.  Although, weren't the puritans responsible for the witch trials?  I guess not all outcasts are innocent after all.

Not sure, they just state that they were hated in their homeland and got kicked out and were looking for a place to find something more than human. And I guess they found it in the Abyss. 

Wazukyan also see's himself as a prophet that has foresight and there is a bit of a cult around him and the Sages. 

Edited by atomicinumatt
  • Like 1

Just now, Dark_Cloud_Overhead said:

Wow, what an absolutely tragic tale all around. I kind of got a new respect for Belaf though I'll say. He couldn't go along with what they were doing to Irumyuui. Kind of seems out of character though for him to then take Nanachi like he did, but I guess in a way it's what Nanachi wanted.

Maybe his personality was altered or he went crazy after being transformed.

10 minutes ago, ben0119 said:

Though I'm not sure why some of the villagers speak that weird language if they are all from that same group.

There are actually multiple languages, but one tends to be translated for the viewer. English in this case. You have at least three languages: cave raiders, Ganja/villagers, and the natives Irumyuui came from.

1 hour ago, Zillatain said:

There are actually multiple languages, but one tends to be translated for the viewer. English in this case. You have at least three languages: cave raiders, Ganja/villagers, and the natives Irumyuui came from.

Yeah, but, the Hollows in that village are all supposed to be part of the group Vueko was with, so they should all speak the same language.

1 hour ago, atomicinumatt said:

Not sure, they just state that they were hated in their homeland and got kicked out and were looking for a place to find something more than human. And I guess they found it in the Abyss. 

Wazukyan also see's himself as a prophet that has foresight and there is a bit of a cult around him and the Sages. 

So, these people were batshit from the beginning, then, and only got worse.  Though Vueko seemed pretty normal.

Yeah I guess you're right.  I thought it was just their organizational structure and culture, but it is kind of like a cult.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ben0119 said:

Yeah, but, the Hollows in that village are all supposed to be part of the group Vueko was with, so they should all speak the same language.

The Village, at its time of creation nearly 2000 years ago surface time when the Ganja arrived at the Abyss, was only populated with Ganja members. But after its creation others joined. Probably other Delvers and people foolish enough to venture into the Abyss and got stuck on the 6th Layer. 

24 minutes ago, ben0119 said:

So, these people were batshit from the beginning, then, and only got worse.  Though Vueko seemed pretty normal.

Yeah I guess you're right.  I thought it was just their organizational structure and culture, but it is kind of like a cult.

Not sure if they were batshit haha but certainly a bit off to begin with 

9 minutes ago, atomicinumatt said:

The Village, at its time of creation nearly 2000 years ago surface time when the Ganja arrived at the Abyss, was only populated with Ganja members. But after its creation others joined. Probably other Delvers and people foolish enough to venture into the Abyss and got stuck on the 6th Layer. 

Not sure if they were batshit haha but certainly a bit off to begin with 

Ok, I wasn't sure how old the village was.  So not all of villagers are from that original party then.

Somehow I missed that this episode was the 2nd half of a 2-part flashback. Maybe the scene at the beginning with Faputa kinda threw me off?

The reviewers at ANN seem rather stingy with 5-star ratings these days, but this episode got one, and it was well-deserved! 

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/review/made-in-abyss-the-golden-city-of-the-scorching-sun/episode-8/.188995

The year is young, but this is quite possibly the best thing Toonami has shown so far in 2023.