UnevenEdge

1 minute ago, atomicinumatt said:

So many light novel authors have fallen into the Isekai fad. 

I think it comes down to the escapism aspect reaching a wide audience in Japan. So every LN author is hopping on the gravy train it seems. And as a consequence we end up with all these ridiculous titles haha 

Yeah.  I just don't understand why they can't be straight up fantasy stories without the isekai part, like Fairy Tail or Seven Deadly Sins.  And are Japanese people's lives really so shitty they'd rather die and go to another world?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ben0119 said:

Yeah.  I just don't understand why they can't be straight up fantasy stories without the isekai part, like Fairy Tail or Seven Deadly Sins.  And are Japanese people's lives really so shitty they'd rather die and go to another world?

It certainly begs that question. 

Work culture is notoriously shitty in Japan and most people view their adult lives, the rest of their life, starting after highschool. Stories about being transported away certainly appeal to people living those kind of lives. 

I really like Isekai Ojisan, it is a total parody of all the Isekai garb haha 

3 minutes ago, saito34 said:

I'm constantly tempted to watch it out of boredom/curiosity but i know it'll be pointless.

Reincarnated As A Slime is actually not bad, Isekai can be good if done right. The genre in general is so over saturated in the LN market that there is an abundance of trash though. 

Edited by atomicinumatt

32 minutes ago, atomicinumatt said:

First Matrix was good, Reloaded had awesome effects and money but a lot of it was meh and then Revolutions was a shit show. I watched the new one, Resurrections, and it was absolutely terrible IMO

I always hated the scene were he brings Trinity back to life.  

Mostly agree.

Loved the first one so much it's still absolutely amazing, agree on the second, gorgeous and some damn cool shit like the highway but lots of meh too (also the Zion dance party was still the worst scene in all four), and for the third I actually liked parts of it (but there were certainly parts that could have been better).

I didn't think Resurrections was that bad, except the action which is a staple of the series was sadly unexpectedly shockingly disappointingly weak.

Edited by DangerMouse
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, CorbeauKarasu said:

Killed Neji out of the freaking blue.

Rescued Guy from a badass heroic death that's been properly foreshadowed for years.

Make it make sense...

This series gave up making sense a long time ago lol.  Pretty much ever since Sasuke left.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, DangerMouse said:

Mostly agree.

Loved the first one so much it's still absolutely amazing, agree on the second, gorgeous and some damn cool shit like the highway but lots of meh too (also the Zion dance party was still the worst scene in all four), and for the third I actually liked parts of it (but there were certainly parts that could have been better).

I didn't think Resurrections was that bad, except the action was shockingly disappointingly weak.

I admit, I am over analytical and harsh on the series because the first movie is so beloved to me. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, atomicinumatt said:

It certainly begs that question. 

Work culture is notoriously shitty in Japan and most people view their adult lives, the rest of their life, starting after highschool. Stories about being transported away certainly appeal to people living those kind of lives. 

I really like Isekai Ojisan, it is a total parody of all the Isekai garb haha 

Yeah, the salaryman corporate grind and whatnot.  They probably need better worker's rights over there.

I think I've seen a few clips from this.

https://myanimelist.net/anime/49220/Isekai_Ojisan

And man, this synopsis is hilarious. 🤣 I might have to check it out sometime. 

6 minutes ago, atomicinumatt said:

Reincarnated As A Slime is actually not bad, Isekai can be good if done right. The genre in general is so over saturated in the LN market that there is an abundance of trash though. 

But the character gets turned into an androgynous form for some reason?  Eh.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, atomicinumatt said:

I cant believe the sheer volume of Isekai that is on Crunchy at any given time. I started one last night for example that is fairly new, but felt so generic after a couple episode. It's crazy repetitive. RAAS seems to be a standout of the genre, so not surprised to hear it's good.

Edited by saito34
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, ben0119 said:

Yeah, the salaryman corporate grind and whatnot.  They probably need better worker's rights over there.

It is one of my favorite comedy from last year. Totally hilarious! 

Just now, ben0119 said:

But the character gets turned into an androgynous form for some reason?  Eh.

From Wiki:

"The story is about a salaryman who is murdered and reincarnates in a sword and sorcery world as a slime with unique powers and gathers allies to build his own nation of monsters." 

It is not my favorite or anything but its not bad IMO haha

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ben0119 said:

There is a K-drama called Misaeng that exemplifies work culture in countries like S. Korea and Japan. Incredible show that really opened my eyes to how buttoned up and downright abusive work culture can be over there. Not sure if both countries are exactly alike, but I think the underlying cultural factors at play are similar.

Edited by saito34
  • Like 3

32 minutes ago, DangerMouse said:

That's where the whole Naruto and Sasuke being reincarnations thing comes in I guess. LOL.

*sigh* You know, doing an ass-pull power-up for a villain is one thing.  We expect some trolling here and there like that from the bad guy, although it is still better to be built up or at least hinted at.  But for the heroes (well, I use this term loosely for Sasuke,) that's not good.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, DangerMouse said:

That's where the whole Naruto and Sasuke being reincarnations thing comes in I guess. LOL.

3 hours ago, ben0119 said:

*sigh* You know, doing an ass-pull power-up for a villain is one thing.  We expect some trolling here and there like that from the bad guy, although it is still better to be built up or at least hinted at.  But for the heroes (well, I use this term loosely for Sasuke,) that's not good.

I heavily agree,  and there is still more of this type of writing to be unveiled to us viewers

• Like 1