UnevenEdge

Barbie

DragonSinger

Barbies were the only girly shit I was into because they gave me the ability to have a long running Young and the Restless spinoff in my bedroom while I avoided all the kids who wanted to whoop my nerdy ass outside. Their vintage outfits also probably contributed to me liking fashion back in the day and considering being a designer for some years. I do like nostalgic movies like this when it doesn't feel like the goal is to shit on people who liked what the movie's based on.

Regardless of how this movie turns out, this teaser is already brilliant.

It helps that Gerwig has won an Oscar, and is very enthusiastic about exploring the rather interesting duality Barbie has in pop culture.  Feminist but regressive, a doll with dozens if not hundreds of variants showing her doing just about every job society has, but is often viewed as a vapid bimbo stereotype.  Tells girls they can be anything, but is often accused of promoting an unrealistic standard of beauty and an idealized body image.

So yeah, compare her to the 2001 monolith.  

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...