UnevenEdge

Happy Thanksgiving Eve eve

nameraka

4 hours ago, atomicinumatt said:

Meh I might stop by my parents house, they live down the road, but the rest of my family is going hours away. I will more than likely just spend Thanksgiving on my sofa with the cat, watching food ball and eating fuck loads of Chinese. Or maybe pizza. Idk, Halal food sounds good too. 

Haven't made up my mind. 

my one cousin who lived like 45 minutes away moved back to florida (where the rest of the family lives) so it's just me this year. and the wife. and the dog. and the cat. and the other cat. 

11 hours ago, Seight said:

The McDonald's on my way to work has a sign saying its open until 11 AM on Thanksgiving. Which implies the line to not cross for them is "a person wants a Big Mac on Thanksgiving."

The thing about that is, when people are on long drives to see relatives, they need somewhere to stop to go to the bathroom and get something to eat. 

And this is coming from someone who used to have to work Thanksgiving, because I had to work every Thursday no matter what. I don't have to work any Thursday anymore so I never have to work on Thanksgiving, but I do have to work during a LOT of holidays, including July 4, President's Day, Easter, MLK day, Veteran's Day..... If I remember right I had to work labor day too but I am not absolutely certain. I'm actually pretty sure the only holidays I get off are Memorial Day, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, and New Years Eve, and that is it (I get new year's eve instead of new year's day off because I work night shift and it makes more sense for night shift to have NYE off so we can party with everyone else. Day shift get's new year's day off instead).

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, nameraka said:

my one cousin who lived like 45 minutes away moved back to florida (where the rest of the family lives) so it's just me this year. and the wife. and the dog. and the cat. and the other cat. 

I had a fever last night for some reason, so I think I am just staying at home tomorrow haha sometimes its better to just lazy away Thanksgiving. 

On 11/22/2022 at 1:42 PM, nameraka said:

As is tradition, please feel free to whine about high gas prices and having to drive three hours to visit family members you genuinely feel should be incarcerated. Or anything else holiday related, I suppose.

you think that of me??? i am the cousin who should be incarcerated. i am the danger

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, DragonSinger said:

We don't have a proper set-up for that, and I'm too paranoid to do it anyway.

All you really need is a propane burner, a tank or two of propane, a metal coat hanger, and a ~30 quart pot. Hank Hill should have all the fixin' for ya haha but I get it, coordinating all of this impromptu is probably not the best. The only real danger in doing it is if you use too small a pot and it over flows when cooking the bird. If you get an extra burner, you could even cook all sorts of other things too. 

At least your oven will be fixed soon though!

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, atomicinumatt said:

All you really need is a propane burner, a tank or two of propane, a metal coat hanger, and a ~30 quart pot. Hank Hill should have all the fixin' for ya haha but I get it, coordinating all of this impromptu is probably not the best. The only real danger in doing it is if you use too small a pot and it over flows when cooking the bird. If you get an extra burner, you could even cook all sorts of other things too. 

At least your oven will be fixed soon though!

No Way Bird GIF

I am also scared of cooking with a propane tank. Could be because of that meth lab that blew up around here a long time ago that had multiple mini explosions from like 8 propane tanks that were outside of it. I can only cook using regular stoves or grills. No explosion balls, please.

22 hours ago, DragonSinger said:

No Way Bird GIF

I am also scared of cooking with a propane tank. Could be because of that meth lab that blew up around here a long time ago that had multiple mini explosions from like 8 propane tanks that were outside of it. I can only cook using regular stoves or grills. No explosion balls, please.

I can understand the fear of explosions. Most propane tanks have blow off valves to prevent an explosions but hey, if it is not for you then I completely get it. 

53 minutes ago, Poofy said:

It is good to see evidence of such stupidity as above. It makes me feel happy that the idiots seem to be thinning their own numbers. 

Anyways, the thing to do is to use a large pot and to make sure that the oil level with the bird in it is much lower than the top of the pot. The key is to bring the oil to temp and then turn the fire OFF while placing the bird in the oil. Then once in you bring the heat back on. This way if there is a boil over, the oil does not contact the open flame causing an oil fire. 

If you are out doors, and follow proper procedure and safety then it is fine. But it certainly is nothing like microwaving a hotdog.. 

Edited by atomicinumatt

5 hours ago, atomicinumatt said:

It is good to see evidence of such stupidity as above. It makes me feel happy that the idiots seem to be thinning their own numbers. 

Anyways, the thing to do is to use a large pot and to make sure that the oil level with the bird in it is much lower than the top of the pot. The key is to bring the oil to temp and then turn the fire OFF while placing the bird in the oil. Then once in you bring the heat back on. This way if there is a boil over, the oil does not contact the open flame causing an oil fire. 

If you are out doors, and follow proper procedure and safety then it is fine. But it certainly is nothing like microwaving a hotdog.. 

The key is to not fry a turkey that hasn’t completely defrosted.  The flames look dangerous, but it’s actually the flying, boiling oil that causes the damage, and combining that oil with frozen bits of Turkey is a recipe for projectiles and explosive steam.  That’s why you do it at least 20’ from the nearest structure, never near dry foliage, elevated on a fire resistant tarp and with a K-type (oil fire) extinguisher.

• Thanks 1