UnevenEdge

I'm on........

scoobdog

2 hours ago, scoobdog said:

I'm on ...(I know what's outside that hatch, I've seen it a million times- hell most everyone's seen the footage from out there.  But when I see it- actually see it as the airlock opens,... I just can't; speechless doesn't even begin to describe the, well if you pardon the pun, "gravity" of the reality I've found myself in. My heart tremors as I stare out at the great starry empty stretching out  in every direction but below.  Below. I glance down- hundreds of miles down. My head rushes as I thank the lord Jesus Crist that I don't need to rely on my knees in order to stand in zero gravity. "Major Wengresch, do you copy?" the voice screeched into my earpiece as my attention snapped back to my current task. I'm on. Go time. OK. I can do this. I send an affirmative back to mission control. I doubt I was successful in concealing the nervous quivering of my vocal cords as I spoke. I can do this. This is the defining moment  of my lifetime. I can do this. it's now or never. I'm on... "Major ?" my earpiece crackles. I whimper as I take the step into nothingness. Into nothingness. I can't. I can't I can't I can't. I'm in a coffin in the nothingness. I am trapped. I cannot escapee; there is nothing to escape into. I have made a mistake. I have made a mistake. My ear crackles- It feels like wasps digging into my brain as I scream all the air from my lungs. I struggle against the constraints of the suit, making impossible attempts to tear out the still screeching earpiece. I am bombarded by a cacophony now, as my overloaded senses are assaulted to the point of oblivion by a new  alert. I inhale in a ragged gasp, my diaphragm only now recovering from my last gut wrenching scream. I scream again. I vomit as the entire contents of my stomach intermix with the entire contents of my lungs within the impossibly tight helmet , the glass fishbowl which seemed to be shrinking at an impossible pace. I inhale and instantly wretch again as my lungs fill with the intermingled contents of my helmet. I will not survive this. I scream. This will be my tomb. I gasp for the poisoned air. I am in the act of dying.  I taste blood in my vomit as my heart pounds beyond reason,  my eyes bulge  and turn red as vessels burst  en mass. My body is frozen  as my muscles lock up in an agonizing paralysis. I can not fade out. It is not like the movies, I can't die off screen. I am alive as I die.  This pain, this uncomparable pain, the  literal pain  of  death. I am wholly consumed with pain. My existence is pain and will be pain until I am no more.

I am no more.

I am nothing within the greater nothing. An empty within the empty. The shell of my suit floats on for endless eons,  the backdrop of galactic structures passing by the emptiness of my helmet. A red giant star pulls my corpse into a gravitational rotation. The light and radiation shine through the visor. Distilling light an  energy into the organic chemicals within my entombed remains. Single celled organisms crystalize within my bone marrow, forming the basis for a microscopic ecostsytem which would spread throughout the tidepools of primordial soup which I had become. incrementally the life, as life does, became more complex, as the enclosed terrarium I had previously occupied diversified and bloomed. I was a world. I was its inhabitants. I was a child to a pack of wecthi ranchers  I was the ruler of the kingdom of Uyiot, my ivory palace drilled from the very bones. My name is Wengresch, I am a novice scribe at the  ancient's temple. I composed this research at the last moment just before I was set to present it. I'm on... I present my hastily thrown together work,), and it's not so bad.

Spoiler

Post image

Edited by SwimModSponges
  • Haha 1