Jump to content
UnevenEdge
Sign in to follow this  
Jman

Warner cancels completed Batgirl film for apparently sucking, plan to make it a tax write off

Recommended Posts

This really isn't good. Pray for whatever's in the pipeline under this company because except for Batman/Joker or Harry Potter, it ain't safe.

  • Like 2
  • D'oh 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, DragonSinger said:

This really isn't good. Pray for whatever's in the pipeline under this company because except for Batman/Joker or Harry Potter, it ain't safe.

Apparently Blue Beetle, despite being completed, and starting the Latino kid from Cobra Kai fresh off of well…Cobra Kai, is next to be canned.  Warner is apparently going to axe it after viewing a first print.

At this point just give Keaton a shit ton of money and have him play old Bruce in Batman Beyond.  It’s what they should have done with him in the first place.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

this kind of thing is insane to me, like is the cost of releasing it greater than the movie itself, like put it on youtube or something idk

I am a layman when it comes to this stuff but the idea of just shelving a finished movie forever is wild

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

This is actually a BS narrative. It's solely for a tax break. And they are trying to say it's bad so this doesn't look as bad as it does.

 

 

 

Edited by matrixman124
Embedded link
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If that's not enough, Warners has also removed several HBO Max original movies from the service, and more series/shows are on the chopping block, presumably also for tax cuts.

This is appalling and a bit bewildering. Canning Batgirl was bad enough (and how often does a movie get cancelled deep into production nowadays?), but getting rid of original streaming content just reeks of capitalist excess. I figured we would see this happen eventually, but I wasn't expecting it to happen to content that had premiered just a couple years earlier. It's enough to make me wonder what might happen to the [adult swim]/Crunchyroll originals. Maybe they're gonna write off Fena and it won't be allowed to air on Toonami again? I suppose it wouldn't be a huge loss, and we've seen this happen before (ThunderCats (2011)/Sym-Bionic Titan/Beware the Batman), but I still wouldn't approve of it.

  • Like 2
  • D'oh 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Considering how even the optimists are acting like Zaslav is going to run mad with power over all this, I think I'm just gonna steer clear of Twitter tomorrow.

Quote

Maybe they're gonna write off Fena and it won't be allowed to air on Toonami again?

We've been through this before. Cartoon Network tried that crap with IGPX back in 2006, but instead of going to the government, the ownership of the show went back to Production I.G because international co-pros are different, and [as] bought it back in 2013 for re-air, no issue. On the extreme offchance that Fena does get written off, Demarco could just wait a few years 'til the heat dies down and buy it back. If he's willing, of course.

Edited by PokeNirvash

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Blatch said:

If that's not enough, Warners has also removed several HBO Max original movies from the service, and more series/shows are on the chopping block, presumably also for tax cuts.

This is appalling and a bit bewildering. Canning Batgirl was bad enough (and how often does a movie get cancelled deep into production nowadays?), but getting rid of original streaming content just reeks of capitalist excess. I figured we would see this happen eventually, but I wasn't expecting it to happen to content that had premiered just a couple years earlier. It's enough to make me wonder what might happen to the [adult swim]/Crunchyroll originals. Maybe they're gonna write off Fena and it won't be allowed to air on Toonami again? I suppose it wouldn't be a huge loss, and we've seen this happen before (ThunderCats (2011)/Sym-Bionic Titan/Beware the Batman), but I still wouldn't approve of it.

It sucks that we're pretty much at this point:

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Warner Bros. Discovery: *cutting a lot of programming, a LOT of programming, to save money*

Me, an AEW Fan: Nervous Key And Peele GIF

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well that sucks, guessing Warrior s3 might be on the block. I was glad when HBO picked that up.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Seight said:

Warner Bros. Discovery: *cutting a lot of programming, a LOT of programming, to save money*

Me, an AEW Fan: Nervous Key And Peele GIF

AEW is low cost, live programming in the vein of sports.  It's one of the potential big winners in this shitshow.  You want AEW/ROH on Discovery+?  Odds are you will get it because of how cheap it is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Ric said:

Well that sucks, guessing Warrior s3 might be on the block. I was glad when HBO picked that up.

You just reminded me of that.  That's going to make me cry.  I'm sorry, but you found a guy that nailed a role Bruce Lee made FOR HIMSELF, and not only can you not get him a decent Hollywood film, you're going to cancel the thing that made me care about him in the first place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Jman said:

AEW is low cost, live programming in the vein of sports.  It's one of the potential big winners in this shitshow.  You want AEW/ROH on Discovery+?  Odds are you will get it because of how cheap it is.

I want to believe that, but at the same time I've been around long enough to remember "A WWE competitor on Turner networks gets killed after the new owners take over" happening once, so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, PokeNirvash said:

Considering how even the optimists are acting like Zaslav is going to run mad with power over all this, I think I'm just gonna steer clear of Twitter tomorrow.

Hey, I wasn't trying to be alarmist. It sucks, but the only stake I have in all this is [as], and by extension Toonami. Our end of the pool has been surprisingly fee of dooming, which I attribute to anime being cheap and available in... decent quantity. And I can't see them canceling Primal, as it's rated well and has credibility via awards behind it.

[but who knows what's happening to the co-pros]

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...