UnevenEdge

Tipping at buffets

Insipid

I normally tip ten percent if I sit down at a buffet (I do the standard twenty at regular restaurants). Today I got takeout from the buffet; you fill up a box and they weigh it at the end. I still tipped five percent, but I was wondering why? I normally tip ten percent for takeout, as someone had to wrap everything up. In this case, I wrapped everything myself. Would you still have tipped for takeout at a buffet?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NewBluntsworth said:

I never tip at buffets but the one I go to you serve yourself on everything, drink refills included, so there's no wait staff to tip. Not just gonna tip the establishment by paying extra for buffet access. 

The one I go to has the wait staff refill the drinks, so I feel a tip is necessary.

5 minutes ago, GuyBeardmane said:

For buffet takeout, no.  For dine in, at least 25%.  Doesn't matter if I'm getting my own food, those servers who bring me plates or refill my drinks are still only getting $2.15 an hour.

I suppose that's fair, although buffet wait staff can probably handle more tables per person than regular restaurants. Of course, you can argue that doesn't mean their tip should be any different.

• Like 1

Eh, I tip everybody, even takeout, usually about 18%. (Well, for the most part, anyway.) Also, I once had killer service to the point I ended up tipping the waitress the cost of the food, including taxes. (Of course, she was a good friend of mine from school who would come by and leave a tip for me and my coworkers at my work. She did this every single time she bought something. So I felt it was the right thing to do to show her how much I appreciated that.)