UnevenEdge

Aldi is the best store

Insipid

One just opened near me recently. The closest one to me before was about 15 minutes away, and I didn't go to it often as there were several grocery stores closer. Today I was in the mood for sausage, and I was able to buy imported sauerkraut, imported bratwurst, and mashed potato mix for about six bucks. I also noticed they really upped their game with organic produce and non-dairy milk.

Also, I realize I'm getting old when I'm praising a grocery store. 😐

1 hour ago, nameraka said:

No. Lidl is best.

Are there even any Lidl stores in the US?

If I remember correctly, the equivalent here is actually Trader Joe's, which I agree is better . . . except that's more of a trip and the store is always very crowded.

42 minutes ago, Insipid said:

Well, never gonna buy pizza from Aldi again. That shit fell apart in the oven. Quite a mess, and it made my smoke detectors go off. 🙃

Did you just threw it on the rack in the oven?  Did the directions say to cook it like that or to use a baking sheet?  Sometimes instructions are either/or. Maybe try a baking sheet if you hadn’t already. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, 1pooh4u said:

Did you just threw it on the rack in the oven?  Did the directions say to cook it like that or to use a baking sheet?  Sometimes instructions are either/or. Maybe try a baking sheet if you hadn’t already. 

lol, I only read the time, as most pizzas say to just place directly on the rack. First time I ever had this issue, but maybe it did say to place on a sheet. I dunno.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Insipid said:

lol, I only read the time, as most pizzas say to just place directly on the rack. First time I ever had this issue, but maybe it did say to place on a sheet. I dunno.

I’m the exact opposite I gotta follow every step or I think disaster will strike.  You live dangerously 😆 

did you even get to eat any or was it just all over the oven. I’m imagining a very big mess but I hope I’m wrong 😬

• Like 1

Just now, 1pooh4u said:

I’m the exact opposite I gotta follow every step or I think disaster will strike.  You live dangerously 😆 

did you even get to eat any or was it just all over the oven. I’m imagining a very big mess but I hope I’m wrong 😬

It was still edible. It was mostly cheese on the side that fell and burned onto the bottom of the oven. It was enough to fill my apartment with smoke. As I tried taking the pizza out, it broke into two. Not as bad as it sounds, as it was cooked by then.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Insipid said:

It was still edible. It was mostly cheese on the side that fell and burned onto the bottom of the oven. It was enough to fill my apartment with smoke. As I tried taking the pizza out, it broke into two. Not as bad as it sounds, as it was cooked by then.

I was imagining cheese and sauce all over the rack and bottom of the oven but I’ve been there and done that before. Smoking the house out cuz whatever  I’m cooking has run amok in there. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, André Toulon said:

I've seen that oven rack shit but I'm like why would I put my naked ass food on the oven rack unless I wanna clean the oven every time I use it. 

I always use a pan.

Pizza is about the only the thing I put directly on the rack, and it normally doesn't make a mess. As long as the rack isn't dirty, you really have nothing to worry about. Preheating the oven kills all the germs after all.

• 3 weeks later...

I just had one of the most severe shrinkflation experiences. I bought cheese sticks from Aldi, and they were shorter and much thinner than normal. It had to be at least 30 percent smaller than the last time I bought it.

Edited by Insipid

With the lack of Krogers nearby, I've started going to Aldis, myself. Good value for the price but sometimes the portions are atrocious. Still, if I can feed 2 people for a month for under $200 and eat relatively well portioned meals without using coupons or getting sales items, it works for me. 

5 hours ago, GunStarHero said:

With the lack of Krogers nearby, I've started going to Aldis, myself. Good value for the price but sometimes the portions are atrocious. Still, if I can feed 2 people for a month for under $200 and eat relatively well portioned meals without using coupons or getting sales items, it works for me. 

Yeah, I got a bag of leg quarters there....they were small and only about 6 were in the bag vs the 11-12 in the homeland bag

16 hours ago, André Toulon said:

Yeah, I got a bag of leg quarters there....they were small and only about 6 were in the bag vs the 11-12 in the homeland bag

We grabbed some frozen dumplings and it said there were 6 in the box which was fine but when we opened it up they were the tiniest little nothings. Honestly was just sampling their selection but I would have been pissed if I was expecting a decent quantity of food. 

4 hours ago, GunStarHero said:

We grabbed some frozen dumplings and it said there were 6 in the box which was fine but when we opened it up they were the tiniest little nothings. Honestly was just sampling their selection but I would have been pissed if I was expecting a decent quantity of food. 

Was it the fusia ones...they are like the size of a half dollar. I think I still have some ...

On 8/5/2022 at 1:50 PM, Insipid said:

Well, never gonna buy pizza from Aldi again. That shit fell apart in the oven. Quite a mess, and it made my smoke detectors go off. 🙃

I've gotten pizzas there before and never had an issue.
I really enjoy the spinach and goat cheese pizza but encountering it is rare.