UnevenEdge

VH1 is probably the saddest example of Cable TV Being Dead

CountFrylock

it used to be a music channel and now it's mostly filled by reruns of martin and fresh prince of bel-air followed by whatever random reality shit show they wanna promote....

same goes for Fuse And IFC....

IFC Used to be the independent film channel and now it's the everybody loves raymond channel

comedy central used to show more than just south park the office and maybe an episode of the daily show

9 minutes ago, Insipid said:

Dude, you're only a few years older than me. TV stopped being relevant to our generation ten years ago. Who cares? Use the fucking internet.

10 years ago anime streaming was nowhere near the powerhouse it is today with everyone clamoring to get a piece of the pie

Funimation had thought so little about streaming that they made a contract with toonami that they  regret to this day(being unable to stream attack on titan episodes until toonami has aired it on television)

and if you are gonna mention piracy(a lot of those websites are a bit too sketchy...some won't even let you view them if you are using an ad-blocker)

1 minute ago, CountFrylock said:

10 years ago anime streaming was nowhere near the powerhouse it is today with everyone clamoring to get a piece of the pie

Funimation had thought so little about streaming that they made a contract with toonami that they  regret to this day(being unable to stream attack on titan episodes until toonami has aired it on television)

and if you are gonna mention piracy(a lot of those websites are a bit too sketchy...some won't even let you view them if you are using an ad-blocker)

Hulu had quite an anime selection at the time, and I believe they do again at the moment. I don't watch that much anime these days, so . . .

Just now, Insipid said:

Hulu had quite an anime selection at the time, and I believe they do again at the moment. I don't watch that much anime these days, so . . .

even today I Don't really give Hulu much of a thought....

it's cable but without being cable and has some originals tied to it however that's not the reason anyone uses it

The only thing cool about VH1 was when they ran movies back in the 80's late at night (they were playing Kentucky Fried Movie one night).  USA had "Up All Night" with Rhonda Shear toward the late 80s.  CBS had Don Kirshner's Rock Concert & NBC had The Midnight Special (mostly hosted by Wolfman Jack).  

I remember reading a write-up on what was going on when Nugent was the main guest/host on The Midnight Special.  He would not appear if Anne Murray or John Denver were hosts on the Special's shows preceding his or after his & he got to choose who would be on the show with him.  One of the bands he picked was Cheap Trick - and Nugent apparently told Rick Nielsen (off camera) he should get a real guitar, like his own Gibson Birdland.  The story went that while Nugent was playing on camera, Rick started flicking guitar picks at Ted (as he does to the audience while in concert).  

• Like 1

On 7/22/2022 at 9:33 PM, André Toulon said:

You're on VH1 hoping for what kind of videos....their videos sucked even when the showed them

Why do you want this 

I was a big fan of VH1 back when I was in high school. As far as the videos were concerned I only cared about what they showed on The Rock Show, but they 100% responsible for getting me into Iron Maiden, if not more bands. Other than The Rock Show, my taste in music was partly shaped by shows such as Legends and Behind the Music (oddly enough it was the Megadeth episode that got me into Judas Priest). Another mini-series they did that shaped my musical taste was The Top 100 Greatest Hard Rock Artists of All Time. Other than all that, I was a fan of the I love the [decade] shows.

13 minutes ago, Doom Metal Alchemist said:

I was a big fan of VH1 back when I was in high school. As far as the videos were concerned I only cared about what they showed on The Rock Show, but they 100% responsible for getting me into Iron Maiden, if not more bands. Other than The Rock Show, my taste in music was partly shaped by shows such as Legends and Behind the Music (oddly enough it was the Megadeth episode that got me into Judas Priest). Another mini-series they did that shaped my musical taste was The Top 100 Greatest Hard Rock Artists of All Time. Other than all that, I was a fan of the I love the [decade] shows.

Ok, so to be fair, at that time I was mostly into hip hop and blues and that wasn't really in their collection, so the videos didn't suck...they just weren't what I was looking for.

• Like 2

The last time I watched VH1 was probably when I was 15 maybe younger with free cable, and no cell phone. A decade and a half ago? Fuck lol...

It had it's moments I guess, but mostly the top music vid countdown, and seeing the cringe of a few hiphop stars from before my time is all I remember. The Flavor of Love...Bizzare on that celebrity weight loss thing. 

VH1 was cringing before cringe even trended online. At least they can say that. 

Edited by PhilosipherStoned

11 hours ago, André Toulon said:

Ok, so to be fair, at that time I was mostly into hip hop and blues and that wasn't really in their collection, so the videos didn't suck...they just weren't what I was looking for.

Since you are are/were into blues, do you know any artists known for doing the type of slide guitar songs that movies/TV use for soundtrack to desolate wasteland scenes? For example:

They couldn’t quite get out of the funk they were in during the 2000’s with all their celebrity reality shows.

Looks like it’s mostly Love & Hip-hop and Drag Race at this point, but at the very least, they’re farther from the days when Dr Drew destroyed the channel. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chapinator_X said:

They couldn’t quite get out of the funk they were in during the 2000’s with all their celebrity reality shows.

Looks like it’s mostly Love & Hip-hop and Drag Race at this point, but at the very least, they’re farther from the days when Dr Drew destroyed the channel. 

I thought Dr Drew was MTV? Love Line with Dr Drew and Adam Corolla. 

I haven't really watched VH1 or MTV in probably a decade, at the least. It was all moving away from music even in the 90's and just went down the toilet after the 00's started. My cable company doesn't even carry them anymore. I think the only time I catch any of it is if I'm at a hotel and there's a clipshow marathon on MTV and nothing else is on. Then it's background noise. 

1 hour ago, katt_goddess said:

I haven't really watched VH1 or MTV in probably a decade, at the least. It was all moving away from music even in the 90's and just went down the toilet after the 00's started. My cable company doesn't even carry them anymore. I think the only time I catch any of it is if I'm at a hotel and there's a clipshow marathon on MTV and nothing else is on. Then it's background noise. 

Dr Drew had Celebrity Rehab for the longest time on VH1 and that’s what mostly aired by the time MTV switched over to 24/7 Ridiculousness. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, katt_goddess said:

That was a relatively short lived televised version of the legendary KROQ show which was running concurrently.  Dr. Drew branched out on his own (while still on KROQ) starting in the mid '00s when he started his shown on VH1.

On 7/25/2022 at 7:43 PM, Seight said:

Wait, I just remembered they put Wild N' Out on VH1 because by law Ridiculousness must make up a vast majority of MTV's weekly airtime now.

it's crazy how much that one show airs on mtv....anytime they talk about a ridiculous ness marathon

i just wanna say "how's that any different from the normal schedule?!"

• 4 weeks later...