UnevenEdge

saw rick and morty for the first time recently

what are your thoughts about rick and morty  

10 members have voted

1. 1. how much you like the show?

• greatest animated series of all time!
    • its great, in the same tier as something like venture bros. or family guy
    • its a quality show, but i wouldnt put it over any of the greats.
    • its alright. can watch it when theres nothing else on.
    • bottom tier of animated shows. looks so ugly too.
    • worst show ever. dont get the hype.
    • never seen it.
    • other. discuss

kinda mixed feeling about it. 

i found myself laughing a bunch at the wacky situations they get into. 

but on the other hand, none of the main characters are really likeable. 

and its hard to follow. just a bunch of random shit happening. 

anyways enough ranting, whats your opinion of the show? poll time!

Rick ramblings usually take me 2 time or more to fully take in....his rants always seem like he talks in more than is necessary, but that's the character I guess....

I hate Jerry, and I hate every character that voice actor has ever voiced...I hat how he's always the weakest, and most useless character on any show he's on.

Beth is a bitch....don't like her either.

......I haven't even made it to Morty yet and I'm realizing I hate most of the main characters too....but I love many of the supporting character....meseeks, squanchie, bird person...they all really add to the experience....even Lincler is cool to me when he shows up.

Despite all of that, I love the show....not sure why. 

But I can see it getting old of I overdo it....I don't marathon it at least once a month, so I guess maybe I don't like it as much as venture bros

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, André Toulon said:

I hate Jerry, and I hate every character that voice actor has ever voiced...I hat how he's always the weakest, and most useless character on any show he's on.

His character in Dogs in Space is not as terrible as the other characters he voices XD

image.jpeg.a092af4769a8eb16c7d2a0eb81e02364.jpeg

• Haha 1

I feel like its better than the Venture Brothers ... but I don't stick Family Guy and the Venture Brothers on the same tier. 

I dont really think its one of those shows that you need a lot of context from one episode to other. Most of the time, everything is self contained in the episode so its not super important that you watch them in order. I feel like it kinda dropped off when they started trying to stretch the show out without enough actual content to do it. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Vamped said:

I feel like its better than the Venture Brothers ... but I don't stick Family Guy and the Venture Brothers on the same tier. 

I dont really think its one of those shows that you need a lot of context from one episode to other. Most of the time, everything is self contained in the episode so its not super important that you watch them in order. I feel like it kinda dropped off when they started trying to stretch the show out without enough actual content to do it. 

Yeah, I especially hate this thing AS does where the announce a new season, give you like 4 episodes and then they're like "chew on that while we sit on the rest and pad this out" 

I don't think I've ever seen a show do that

• Like 3

I think the point is you’re supposed to hate all of the main characters because of their extreme self centered traits.  I find it funny to an extent, but I feel like a lot of the time laughing supposed to be uncomfortable.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, André Toulon said:

Just realizing I watch moral Orel more than R&m.....that show was so deliciously dark that it just never gets old for me.

I love moral orel too bad it was so short lived

as for Rick and Morty. I can take it or leave it. It’s one of those shows that I enjoy when I come across it but I don’t go looking for it 

• Like 2

Would agree with scoob, everyone is meant to be hateable and toxic.

I'd say any decline it may be suffering from is just a common trait for a lot of these shows that come in hot and then just start to coast. Kinda like Archer. Early on, the writers are on fire. After a while, the novelty wears off and everything just starts feeling predictable.

2 minutes ago, rpgamer said:

I'd say any decline it may be suffering from is just a common trait for a lot of these shows that come in hot and then just start to coast. Kinda like Archer. Early on, the writers are on fire. After a while, the novelty wears off and everything just starts feeling predictable.

Oh, archer was definitely predictable....every season was the same shit and reused jokes in a new skin eventually.

I may put R&M above Archer. I kept asking why they renewed it for so many seasons....is it still going on?

• Like 1

I have it playing in the background when it's on. I have a few R&M items floating around here. I even hand out a couple of R&M things at Con. It's decent enough.

I could do with less of the worst of its fanbase though. I naturally have a low opinion of people who jump up on McD's counter yelling about sauces. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, scoobdog said:

I think the point is you’re supposed to hate all of the main characters because of their extreme self centered traits.  I find it funny to an extent, but I feel like a lot of the time laughing supposed to be uncomfortable.

It kinda reminds me of It's Always Sunny in the sense that its funnier when they fail because honestly most of the characters don't deserve to win.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Seight said:

It kinda reminds me of It's Always Sunny in the sense that its funnier when they fail because honestly most of the characters don't deserve to win.

But they're infinitely more lovable as losers.  The characters of  R&M, Rick at the center, are nihilistic.  They're unlovable because they openly consider their actions meaningless even as the consequences cascade on each other, devolving (usually) into chaos.  The characters in Sunny fail because of their flaws, but their enthusiasm somewhat belies a sense of hope that makes their misadventures enjoyable.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, André Toulon said:

Rick ramblings usually take me 2 time or more to fully take in....his rants always seem like he talks in more than is necessary, but that's the character I guess....

Beth is a bitch....don't like her either.

......I haven't even made it to Morty yet and I'm realizing I hate most of the main characters too....but I love many of the supporting character....meseeks, squanchie, bird person...they all really add to the experience....even Lincler is cool to me when he shows up.

Despite all of that, I love the show....not sure why. 

But I can see it getting old of I overdo it....I don't marathon it at least once a month, so I guess maybe I don't like it as much as venture bros

agreed with the side characters, i find them more enjoyable than the main characters.

jerry is the worst. i don't really mind the "pathetic" character. they can be up for a good laugh like zoiberg from futurama. 

15 hours ago, Vamped said:

you can substitute any other great cartoon in place of the ones i listed, i just had family ranked high for its first 3 seasons. if we do overall, that show goes to garbage. same with the simpsons, first 7 seasons is great, but quality just went down after. 

i dont mind watching self contained shows either but it was hard to follow rick and morty even just going to the bathroom and coming back. like i missed two minutes but so much has happened. maybe i shouldnt have been drinking too much lol. 

guess you voted that its great? 

14 hours ago, scoobdog said:

sure i just dont think they pull that off as well as something like its always sunny. 

which the main characters on that show are as bad as they get. 

7 hours ago, rpgamer said:

hard to make anything thats good for any amount of time. we see it far too often with shows. 

14 hours ago, André Toulon said:

Just realizing I watch moral Orel more than R&m.....that show was so deliciously dark that it just never gets old for me.

that show is good?

i skipped over it mainly because it looked corny af. and also was time slotted pretty late if i remember correctly. 

12 hours ago, Distortedreasoning said:

i found myself laughing quite a bit to rank it that low. 

It usually gets me about once an ep. I wouldn't put it anywhere near Futurama. I know that show is god tier but still, R&M is closer to like Workaholics for me. 

13 hours ago, Distortedreasoning said:

that show is good?

i skipped over it mainly because it looked corny af. and also was time slotted pretty late if i remember correctly. 

Moral Orel is very good. It's cheesiness is very intentional since its a massive spoof on the old 'Davey and Goliath' stop-motion playdoh show of the way back except increasing dark with the audience in on how horrible things really are in bible-thumping Moralton. It sucks that the final season where each of the characters get a deeper look ended up getting it cancelled because shit literally got too real for the so-called 'stoner' crowd. The only vaguely saving grace is that it was at least allowed an ending albeit far earlier than Dino might have been planning.  

4 hours ago, katt_goddess said:

Moral Orel is very good. It's cheesiness is very intentional since its a massive spoof on the old 'Davey and Goliath' stop-motion playdoh show of the way back except increasing dark with the audience in on how horrible things really are in bible-thumping Moralton. It sucks that the final season where each of the characters get a deeper look ended up getting it cancelled because shit literally got too real for the so-called 'stoner' crowd. The only vaguely saving grace is that it was at least allowed an ending albeit far earlier than Dino might have been planning.  

I do remember the concept of [as] asking Dino to make things a little darker for season 3 and after they started watching it they went "oh god what have we done"

11 hours ago, SwimOdin said:

I’ve recently started watching it as well. It’s fun. I can’t believe how popular it is, though. Venture Brothers kicks it’s ass.

i remember first seeing them from the simpsons couch gag. it was funny but i havent had cable in years so i never followed it. then i remember friends and family quoting the show or saying pickle rick. 

9 hours ago, katt_goddess said:

yes thats what it reminded me of, those old cheesy davey and goliath shows. the promos didnt really sell me and i do remember seeing them a bunch.

11 hours ago, Nablonsky said:

It usually gets me about once an ep. I wouldn't put it anywhere near Futurama. I know that show is god tier but still, R&M is closer to like Workaholics for me. 

i would not rank it above futurama either, but probably up there as some of the better AS shows. the worst one for me has to be tom goes to the mayor.

Other: ever since bushland adventures came out, I stopped rewatching regular rick and morty and just watch bushland over and over. I'm not sure what this means about my opinion of the show

Edited by Poof

On 5/18/2022 at 9:18 AM, Poof said:

Other: ever since bushland adventures came out, I stopped rewatching regular rick and morty and just watch bushland over and over. I'm not sure what this means about my opinion of the show

i think i seen ads for bushland adventures on youtube. 

hmmm i think you still high on rick and morty but maybe this newer show is really good. 

1 hour ago, Distortedreasoning said:

i think i seen ads for bushland adventures on youtube. 

hmmm i think you still high on rick and morty but maybe this newer show is really good. 

nah I'm definitely not high on it I haven't even finished the 4th season. I just watch bushland 

• Like 1

Season 1 was generally pretty funny. Probably wouldn't like it as much on another watch, but it's pretty solid.

Season 2 had the best episode in the show (Total Rickall) but also all of the A-plots are stinky and lame, B-plots tended to be strong. Like the Rick and Morty side of season 2 was mostly forgettable when it wasn't dabbling in downright awful.

Season 3... I don't remember liking any episode? I guess some were acceptable.

Season 4 just sucks from what little I've seen. Straight garbo.

Personally, I have very little respect for the show's creators. They let audience shit get in the way of writing a good story in some of the most grotesquely arrogant ways I've seen. Should have been, like, 1-2 seasons. Dan Harmon is a hack, and 2004 called Justin Roiland's sense of humor and asked for its lolrandom meme culture back.

On 5/19/2022 at 8:10 PM, Seight said:

I'm a little curious about the anime series they announced earlier this week. The shorts have been good but I wonder if they can keep that up over 10 episodes.

I Also wonder how the audience is going to react to a subtitled series

shorts are one thing but it's odd  to expect the average adultswim viewer to get into a series that isn't in english

Edited by CountFrylock