UnevenEdge

The Animatrix Unevenedge 2021 Discussion!!!

25 minutes ago, OwlChemist81 said:

"Beyond"

Ohh, this is a good one!!

And it also showcases how the Japanese have tone-emitting crosswalks!

I don't recall the tone emitting cross walks at all.  Strange I have never seen this in any other anime.  I'm not remembering these Animatrix shorts very well either.

Just now, ben0119 said:

He didn't make it?  Why was he turning into an agent?

Still connected to The Matrix so they could still take him and he'd accomplished what they needed leading them to Trinity.

In a way he was only up to the car part Neo got to, but he was lucky they wanted him to lead them all the way to Morpheus.

17 minutes ago, ben0119 said:

This looks like it was made by the same guy as Aeon Flux and Reign.  Whatever happened to that guy anyway?

Yeah, never totally crazy about that art style.

Yeah, looks like around this time was when he finished working since his list of stuff just kinda stops. I guess he mostly retired?

Looking at the wiki, it looks like the last thing he did was help direct Firebreather, a then new kids hero comic adaptation pilot for Cartoon Network. Very different style from his usual and all CG. It looks kind of familiar, I think I saw this back when CN premiered it.

Generator Rex did the whole new teen CN hero thing way better.

Edited by DangerMouse

7 minutes ago, DangerMouse said:

Yeah, never totally crazy about that art style.

Yeah, looks like around this time was when he finished working since his list of stuff just kinda stops. I guess he mostly retired?

Looking at the wiki, it looks like the last thing he did was help direct Firebreather, a then new kids hero comic adaptation pilot for Cartoon Network. Very different style from his usual and all CG. It looks kind of familiar, I think I saw this back when CN premiered it.

Generator Rex did the whole new teen CN hero thing way better.

Fell off the face of the Earth apparently?  Peter Chung.  This guy used to be a big deal.  I wonder what happened.  Something I just found says he teaches a master class on animation now.  I wonder if he gave up doing animation entirely.

Yeah I was never a big fan of the art style, either, although the shows themselves were decent but weird.

Never heard of Firebreather haha.

• Like 1

So this was made after Matrix 2 and leading into Matrix 3?  After how disappointed I was in 2, I never saw 3, and what I heard afterwards didn't make me any more inclined to go watch it after the fact, haha.

Edited by ben0119
  • Confused 1

What is interesting is these segments were played somewhat out of order compared to the DVD, as could briefly be seen by the "ANIMATRIX" title screen leading-in to "Final Flight of the Osiris." As you would probably guess, that segment actually comes first on the DVD, but it aired last on Toonami's 2021 airing. Up next on the DVD were the "Second Renaissance" segments, which took the lead on Toonami last weekend, and then following that was "Program," which came 5th on the DVD. Up on both the DVD  and Toonami were "World Record", but on Toonami it was followed by "Kid's Story", which came 4th on the DVD. Next, on Toonami was "Beyond", and then after that "Detective's Story" and "Matriculated" followed on both the DVD and the TV broadcast, but of course on TV "Matriculated" was followed by "...Osiris", while that was the final segment on the DVD.

If that sounds confusing, to sum up, you'll remember the order the segments aired on Toonami this past week was:

1. The Second Renaissance Part I
  2. The Second Renaissance Part II
  3. Program
  4. World Record
  5. Kid's Story
  6. Beyond
  7. Detective's Story
  8. Matriculated
  9. Final Flight Of The Osiris

But the order they follow on the DVD release was:

1. Final Flight of the Osiris
  2. The Second Renaissance Part I
  3. The Second Renaissance Part II
  4. A Kid's Story
  5. Program
  6. World Record
  7. Beyond
  8. Detective's Story
  9. Matriculated

Just found that a bit interesting.

Edited by OwlChemist81

• 2 weeks later...

The DVD order was how they aired it the first two times in 2004 too. Also interesting, each short got its own content rating (TV-14V for Osiris, Second Renaissance, and Program; TV-14 for Kid's Story, Detective Story, Beyond and Matriculated; and TV-PGV for World Record) and, at least for the October rerun, there was no commercial break between the two halves of Second Renaissance.

Not sure why they jumbled it up here, but Osiris airing at the end is a creative touch, since it directly leads into the events of the Matrix Reloaded.

• Like 1

The order it aired here is the same as the HBO Max version.

BTW I rewatched all the Matrix movies this week for the first time in years.

Within that period I almost fell for the "The 1st one is the only good one" narrative. Yeah nah Reloaded fuckin slaps. The Zion Temple fuck scene/The Frenchman & Monica Bellucci/The Twins/Morpheus wielding a katana/The CHASE SCENE *chef's kiss*

Revolutions feels like a rush to the finish line in comparison, but whatever it gets the job done.

[I gotta say too, I have the UHD discs and the transfer is divine. It's so clear in fact that you can tell the city backdrop on the beginning rooftop scene with Trinity in the 1st one is just a cardboard wall.]

• Like 1

On 1/2/2022 at 10:30 AM, MasqueradeOverture said:

The order it aired here is the same as the HBO Max version.

BTW I rewatched all the Matrix movies this week for the first time in years.

Within that period I almost fell for the "The 1st one is the only good one" narrative. Yeah nah Reloaded fuckin slaps. The Zion Temple fuck scene/The Frenchman & Monica Bellucci/The Twins/Morpheus wielding a katana/The CHASE SCENE *chef's kiss*

Revolutions feels like a rush to the finish line in comparison, but whatever it gets the job done.

[I gotta say too, I have the UHD discs and the transfer is divine. It's so clear in fact that you can tell the city backdrop on the beginning rooftop scene with Trinity in the 1st one is just a cardboard wall.]

I was just telling a coworker the other day that Reloaded gets a lot of shit, but those action scenes were wayyyy ahead of their time and still hold up today. It got bogged down with existential nonsense and the Architect encounter confused literally everyone in the theater I saw it in 20 years ago in so it definitely gets minus points for that. But yeah I'd watch it any day.

Revolutions was ass and ruined the franchise. Zero interest in seeing the new one, and the reviews have been brutal.

Revolutions was the closest Western cinema has gotten to mech action, so I'll take it for that.

I saw Resurrections a few days ago. The best way I could describe it is an anti-Matrix Matrix movie, as in it does everything in its power to not be anything like the other ones by being A). Self-referential, meta, and existing only to deconstruct itself B). Having close to zero action choreography (which is then "absolved" by Neo ending every fight with an air blast) and C). An internal Self vs. Self conflict rather than any kind of threat against humanity (in fact everything is fairly Utopian in Zion/Ios).

As an actual stand-alone movie, it doesn't work. As a spite project against corporate sequel culture and Warner Brothers because they forced Lana's hand, it's a delight. As an epilogue, it's fine. I don't feel like I wasted my time with it so I'd say watch it if you're curious, but I wouldn't actively say to anyone "You gotta watch this!"

• Like 1