Jump to content
UnevenEdge
discolé monade

'old timey' recipes

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, scoobdog said:

Spread frosting on the cake while it's still warm?

here's the trick. a crumbing layer. let it cool, then put 2nd coating on. perfect. 

doing it warm with this cake, allows the icing to cool then crack. 

at least that's what i'm thinking. i'm making this soon. 

wanted to last couple years and never did. but this year's the year. i'll let you know. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, discolé monade said:

here's the trick. a crumbing layer. let it cool, then put 2nd coating on. perfect. 

doing it warm with this cake, allows the icing to cool then crack. 

at least that's what i'm thinking. i'm making this soon. 

wanted to last couple years and never did. but this year's the year. i'll let you know. 

Could be.  I learned the hard way that trying to put on the crumb layer too soon doesn't tend to work out.  Even that layer melted off of the cake. 

Edit:  Don't give me that look.  I was fucking impatient chicken, man.

Edited by scoobdog
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, scoobdog said:

Could be.  I learned the hard way that trying to put on the crumb layer too soon doesn't tend to work out.  Even that layer melted off of the cake. 

ok. that's not at all right. i just re~read. 

the cakes should be cooled. 

the icing needs to be warm. 

caramel cake is the same way. 

edit...ok i did say cool in the above. 

Edited by discolé monade
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, discolé monade said:

ok. that's not at all right. i just re~read. 

the cakes should be cooled. 

the icing needs to be warm. 

caramel cake is the same way. 

Shit.  That makes more sense.  It says 10 minutes which still isn't nearly enough time to cool, but yeah I totally also missed that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know if it's considered 'old timey' but I make my own elderberry syrup [ since it's suddenly a thing again ]. 

1 tablespoon dried elderberries

1 tablespoon dried ginger bits

1 tablespoon dried cinnamon chips

Fill small pot with water, toss dried bits in, bring to boil and boil for 5 minutes. Reduce heat to simmer and simmer for 5 minutes while stirring to keep things from clumping or burning on the bottom. Turn off heat, cover, and let steep for at least 30 minutes. I usually go for 45. Pour through cheesecloth and strain all liquids out. Stir honey into the mixture to taste, making sure it dissolves. Store in fridge to keep fresh longer. 

It's not always easy to get cinnamon in chip form around here so I have a marble mortar and pestle to get everything to the size I want.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

wife made pasty tonight. as someone who ate it a lot as a kid up north and never gets the chance to eat it down here, i think she did a great job. my old uncle george would  have been proud. so anyways, the amazing (bastardized from conrwall) wisconsin pasty:

shortcrust pastry laid into pie platter
fill with sliced potatoes, hamburger, tenderized round steak (cut in 1" cubes), sliced onions (all raw btw)
add lots of butter...like at least half a stick, sliced 
salt & pepper to taste
cover with another shortcrust pastry, pinch edges to make a pie
bake at 350F for 90 minutes

cut that baby up and serve it like a pie...with more butter some ketchup

traditional recipes call for these to be made as a single-serving handheld meal, with the pastry being filled on only one half, then folded over and pinched to make a D shape. these could be packed out and eaten on the fly, which was great for the old lead miners of sw wisconsin. i like the pie version myself, because it just makes more and you don't eat with your hands.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, wacky1980 said:

wife made pasty tonight. as someone who ate it a lot as a kid up north and never gets the chance to eat it down here, i think she did a great job. my old uncle george would  have been proud. so anyways, the amazing (bastardized from conrwall) wisconsin pasty:

shortcrust pastry laid into pie platter
fill with sliced potatoes, hamburger, tenderized round steak (cut in 1" cubes), sliced onions (all raw btw)
add lots of butter...like at least half a stick, sliced 
salt & pepper to taste
cover with another shortcrust pastry, pinch edges to make a pie
bake at 350F for 90 minutes

cut that baby up and serve it like a pie...with more butter some ketchup

traditional recipes call for these to be made as a single-serving handheld meal, with the pastry being filled on only one half, then folded over and pinched to make a D shape. these could be packed out and eaten on the fly, which was great for the old lead miners of sw wisconsin. i like the pie version myself, because it just makes more and you don't eat with your hands.

so, a sheppard's pie hot pocket? i'm digging it. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/9/2021 at 5:57 PM, discolé monade said:

so, a sheppard's pie hot pocket? i'm digging it. 

more or less, yeah. there's no ... gravy? ... sauce? ... not sure what word fits best there ... anyways, it's not as much liquid in a pasty as there would be in a shepherd's pie, but otherwise a pretty similar experience.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/9/2021 at 6:57 PM, discolé monade said:

so, a sheppard's pie hot pocket? i'm digging it. 

If it's got beef it is a cottage pie.

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/3/2021 at 6:22 PM, scoobdog said:

Shit.  That makes more sense.  It says 10 minutes which still isn't nearly enough time to cool, but yeah I totally also missed that.

coca~cola cake, not a winner in this house. i made it, but no one touched it. XD oh well. 

but my 'hoppin' john' was on point, this year. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

made a potato, cheddar soup. not too bad. also made some

'artisan ciabbatta' rolls today. the bread maker called for the dough to be 

put into a 12 inch oval shape, and let sit. but i cut the dough in to 6 pts. not terrible. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...