UnevenEdge

Got any valuable games?

rpgamer

Y'know, from back in the day when you could actually own games and not just license them.

Mulling over what I want to play next/again, happened to read a bit on one of my favorites, the .hack series.

hack_q10.jpg

The sequel series, G.U., got a re-release on PS4 or something a while back (and I paid a fair sum for those games years ago, too..). But not these. Evidently the last one was a fairly limited release as well. There's some pristine unopened copy floating around out there some dude's trying to get a cool $1000 for. Seems like most generally go for somewhere in the $300 range. Just for that last installment. I've got the whole set, cases, manuals, DVDs, not a bad haul, if I were ever inclined to part with it.

Games aren't really all that stellar or anything. Niche audience, as you'd expect. But. Kinda nice feeling to find something simple you enjoyed long ago and have stashed away has actually been appreciating in value.

It's possible but I wouldn't necessarily know immediately off the top of my head. Pretty much all the games and systems I've ever gotten over the years still have their original boxes and inserts if they were new which might still be considered highly collectible even if they've been opened and played. I take good care of my crap. :D And that includes original GameBoy games and the original GameBoy still with it's box and still functional. 

i got back into retro game collecting in around 2014 and i managed to get quite a decent size collection. prices were already climbing before covid and now they gone insane on almost every platform. you guys might wanna check if you just got them sitting and not planning on playing them. even wii u titles seeing the crazy spikes.  

https://www.pricecharting.com/ 

i have multiple platforms with games that are over $100 each. i think my japanese saturn probably my most expensive library with a few titles like radiant silvergun, battle garegga and batsugun hitting over $200. and many hitting over $100 like symphony of the night. 

7 hours ago, Distortedreasoning said:

Looked up my three treasures on that site:

Final Fantasy II (IV) SNES loose cart: $59.75

Final Fantasy III (VI) SNES loose cart: $79.75

Chrono Trigger SNES loose cart: $216.75

Looked up a couple more that I thought might be worth something:

Jack Bros. Virtual Boy loose cart: $853.01 (!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Mega Man X2 SNES loose cart: $139.75

Super Metroid SNES loose cart: $74.72

The Misadventures of Tron Bonne is probably my most expensive game. It was overpriced at around $50 back when I got it, but now it’s even steeper. 

Def Jam Fight for NY and Samurai Champloo Sidetracked are also games I got that ended up becoming even more expensive over time.

Thrift shopping ended up landing me a couple games that I feel like skyrocketed over the years as well. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Doom Metal Alchemist said:

Looked up my three treasures on that site:

Final Fantasy II (IV) SNES loose cart: $59.75

Final Fantasy III (VI) SNES loose cart: $79.75

Chrono Trigger SNES loose cart: $216.75

Looked up a couple more that I thought might be worth something:

Jack Bros. Virtual Boy loose cart: $853.01 (!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Mega Man X2 SNES loose cart: $139.75

Super Metroid SNES loose cart: $74.72

i missed out on the entire virtual boy, but heard it wasnt as bad as they said it was. 

15 hours ago, Chapinator_X said:

The Misadventures of Tron Bonne is probably my most expensive game. It was overpriced at around $50 back when I got it, but now it’s even steeper. 

Def Jam Fight for NY and Samurai Champloo Sidetracked are also games I got that ended up becoming even more expensive over time.

Thrift shopping ended up landing me a couple games that I feel like skyrocketed over the years as well. 

Almost all older video games have gone up in price the last year or so

Trying to find a used PS2 is starting to become a pain

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Distortedreasoning said:

i missed out on the entire virtual boy, but heard it wasnt as bad as they said it was. 

I have no experience with the Virtual Boy when it was current, but, man, when was this....It must've been somewhere between 1998 and 2007..... I know that's a gigantic fucking window, but that's the best I can do.... anyway, my brother bought a Virtual Boy along with a bunch of the games somewhere. My brother had his own "collecting retro games" phase but I don't think he got any of it online, but anyway.... Out of all the games he bought, the only one I liked to any degree was a Pinball one, and it was fun for maybe 20 minutes max at a time. So I would say the Virtual Boy indeed really does suck.

On 9/27/2021 at 12:27 AM, Distortedreasoning said:

Original GameBoy -

Looks like my original Gameboy is the most expensive since I still have the box and all at $233. I also have all the Mario and Wario Lands and Zelda : Link's Awakening still all with their original boxes. 

GameBoy Color -

Pokemon Crystal $437. o.O Zelda Ages and Seasons $178 and $200. Even Warioland is $120. 

GameBoy Advance -

Actually did weirdly 'good' as far as choices with high price points. Original Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire are $241 and $227. Minish Cap is $210 for such an afternoon beater game. Golden Sun and Fire Emblem. Even Lady Sia.

The ones that truly tanked are any and all Harry Potter ones. :D:D:D 

SNES - 

Super Mario World $844. o.O Link to the Past $196. Zombies Ate My Neighbors is a surprising $155 in box. Nosferatu is frickin' listed at $332 with box. 

GameCube - 

Looks like the only thing that cracks a hundred is the GameBoy attachment with disc I got so I could play all the games possible on one system - $167. 

Wii - 

Everything I own is cheap trash. :D But it's my cheap trash. 

I went with the box prices but wouldn't expect to get the listed prices no matter how pristine things are on my end. But it's fun to check at least. 

3 hours ago, rpgamer said:

Honestly kinda amazed at anyone that kept the old cardboard cartridge boxes. I mean, if you're old enough to have the sense to know to keep the whole kit, yeah. I definitely wasn't for sure. Those boxes didn't seem to be very practical, unlike the disc cases later.

Snapshot_20210928.JPG.81be23436da79ae978ab2cf0a4479a10.JPG [ original Zelda, the ironically expensive Nosferatu, and Minish Cap for a quick crappy webcam snap ]

That's what makes the boxes almost more than the cartridges themselves - most people throw the boxes because there's always something else to hold the main item in a smaller space like a little tote or disc case. 

For me, keeping things in boxes for as long as possible ensured that they hopefully wouldn't get destroyed if they had to be stored and would be easy to find. I also got the plastic cartridge containers for extra protection for those that didn't originally come with one already. The only game I have that doesn't really play right currently is Snood because I played the ever loving crap out of that so it now sometimes glitches out. Zelda I and II are currently sitting in the Advance and Ocarina of Time in the Cube. Kirby's Dream Collection is in the living room Wii. 

And it kinda worked. When a basement place I was living in after college was completely flooded and I had to rescue everything in the dark, I lost more original boxes than actual items. Lost the SNES box but still have the SNES. 

Yeah, but, like, the old cartridges didn't really need a thing to hold the main item. They were pretty well contained. Disc boxes were surely easier to hold onto, because nobody wanted a scratched disc. Yeah, smaller options or carry cases or whatever, but still, the disc box seemed far more practical than the cartridge box.

Other than that, yeah, all true, naturally and especially those boxes would be more valuable, as something that wouldn't seem worth keeping at the time.

Kinda forgot I had Ages and Seasons at one point. I held onto my GBA for quite a long time before I realized "...This thing is just kinda puny and hard to see anything on." and decided meh, I've got no problem running those games on emulators.

19 hours ago, katt_goddess said:
Spoiler

Original GameBoy -

Looks like my original Gameboy is the most expensive since I still have the box and all at $233. I also have all the Mario and Wario Lands and Zelda : Link's Awakening still all with their original boxes. 

GameBoy Color -

Pokemon Crystal $437. o.O Zelda Ages and Seasons $178 and $200. Even Warioland is $120. 

GameBoy Advance -

Actually did weirdly 'good' as far as choices with high price points. Original Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire are $241 and $227. Minish Cap is $210 for such an afternoon beater game. Golden Sun and Fire Emblem. Even Lady Sia.

SNES - 

Super Mario World $844. o.O Link to the Past $196. Zombies Ate My Neighbors is a surprising $155 in box. Nosferatu is frickin' listed at $332 with box. 

GameCube - 

Looks like the only thing that cracks a hundred is the GameBoy attachment with disc I got so I could play all the games possible on one system - $167. 

Wii - 

I went with the box prices but wouldn't expect to get the listed prices no matter how pristine things are on my end. But it's fun to check at least. 

This post made me check Super Mario World thinking I had another huge jackpot I didn't realize but when I looked it up, I was like, "Oh yeah..... she kept the boxes" 😆

Katt's mention of of Wario Land and Link's Awakening made be check those.... neither of those are worth mentioning, but I noticed a loose cart of Majora's Mask, which I have, is $69.97, one of my more worthwhile ones (when not compared to Jack Bros.)

ACTUALLY come to think of it..... Majora's Mask may have come out late enough for when we actually WERE saving boxes..... I might be able to find the box and manual somewhere..... Not sure though..... Complete in box is worth $197.50.

Just thought to look up my 4 Ninja Gaiden games (3 NES, 1 Gameboy). Ninja Gaiden III for NES loose cart is a very good $97.25, and Ninja Gaiden Shadow loose cart for Game Boy is a not too shabby $68.47.

Edited by Doom Metal Alchemist
  • Like 2

On 9/28/2021 at 6:59 PM, rpgamer said:

Kinda forgot I had Ages and Seasons at one point. I held onto my GBA for quite a long time before I realized "...This thing is just kinda puny and hard to see anything on." and decided meh, I've got no problem running those games on emulators.

Yeah, I actually tend to play the GameBoy game on the tv when possible because even with the light attachment / protective flip cover for the Advance [ yeah, I'm that kind of person :D ] it's easier to see on the big screen. I got the Super GameBoy cartridge for the SNES when that came out, have the GameBoy Cube attachment and the cord to attach the Advance directly to the Cube too if I want to use that as a controller. I think I can even attach the Advance to the Wii but it's been so long that I'm not sure if I'm just remembering when the Cube was in the living room instead of the bedroom. 

10 hours ago, Doom Metal Alchemist said:

This post made me check Super Mario World thinking I had another huge jackpot I didn't realize but when I looked it up, I was like, "Oh yeah..... she kept the boxes" 😆

Damn straight! :P:D 

• Like 1

On 9/28/2021 at 11:00 AM, katt_goddess said:

Original GameBoy -

GameBoy Color -

GameBoy Advance -

SNES - 

GameCube - 

Wii - 

pokemon is what baffles me most since the games always sold in the millions. i guess its still popular now but still its one of the most easily accessible franchises.

good thing you kept the boxes. the few games that i had i ended up losing the boxes some how. still wish games came with the manuals. 

13 hours ago, Doom Metal Alchemist said:

Katt's mention of of Wario Land and Link's Awakening made be check those.... neither of those are worth mentioning, but I noticed a loose cart of Majora's Mask, which I have, is $69.97, one of my more worthwhile ones (when not compared to Jack Bros.)

ACTUALLY come to think of it..... Majora's Mask may have come out late enough for when we actually WERE saving boxes..... I might be able to find the box and manual somewhere..... Not sure though..... Complete in box is worth $197.50.

Just thought to look up my 4 Ninja Gaiden games (3 NES, 1 Gameboy). Ninja Gaiden III for NES loose cart is a very good $97.25, and Ninja Gaiden Shadow loose cart for Game Boy is a not too shabby $68.47.

its crazy how a box can have such a huge multiplier on prices. i guess it makes sense considering these things are so easy to damage/lose/throw away that theres probably not many that made the 20 year plus journey. 

On 9/29/2021 at 10:37 PM, Distortedreasoning said:

its crazy how a box can have such a huge multiplier on prices. i guess it makes sense considering these things are so easy to damage/lose/throw away that theres probably not many that made the 20 year plus journey. 

https://retroprotection.com/Console-Box-Protectors-Mix-and-Match-Packs-5-Pack-532.htm

There's a stream I watch on twitch of a person that owns a used/new video game store and they use this site to order boxes for games

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Let's see.  I have StarCraft 2, Dragon Age Origins, The Chronicles of Riddick, Crysis, Assassins Creed 3, and Fallout 3 GOTY.  They are newish, never been registered and sell for a pittance of what they were originally worth.

• 2 months later...

As far as game titles go, I have a good handful of mostly Gamecube ones.

Like all my Gamecube from when I couldn't afford new copies so the used ones I have can go from pretty good condition to absolute dogshit.

Eternal Darkness

MGS Twin Snakes

Baten Kaitos & Origins

Killer7 (Gamecube)

Beyond Good and Evil (Gamecube)

Xenosaga

Godhand

Xenoblade (Wii)

Pandita's Tower

Pokemon Coliseum (I think I have the bonus disc)

Pretty sure I'm forgetting something but whatever.