UnevenEdge

Aldi has some damn good chocolate

bnmjy

40 minutes ago, BlackNoir said:

My daughter like their Moser Roth Dark Sea......I always wondered why she insists on going there for it when i just assumed it was shittier chocolate.

lol she has good taste. That stuff is from Germany, and they also have chocolates from Belgium and Austria. Imported goods aren't always better, but European chocolates seem to be creamier and richer in taste.

1 minute ago, bnmjy said:

I mean, the store layout is more European, but it isn't a special experience like say IKEA.

There's two Aldi stores in central Delaware. Those are the closest I can find to me without having to cross state lines and pay sales tax.

As for IKEA, they don't have any locations in DE at all. The only one I know of is around Philly. I'd love to go there for the Swedish meatballs sometime. And it's a real shame that we don't have any IKEA stores here. How does DE not have any IKEA stores?

1 minute ago, Real_AirCooledGirl said:

There's two Aldi stores in central Delaware. Those are the closest I can find to me without having to cross state lines and pay sales tax.

As for IKEA, they don't have any locations in DE at all. The only one I know of is around Philly. I'd love to go there for the Swedish meatballs sometime. And it's a real shame that we don't have any IKEA stores here. How does DE not have any IKEA stores?

Probably because Delaware has a small population. I live in the Pittsburgh metro and there's more people here than all of Delaware. There's only one IKEA here. They intentionally design it this way.

So in your case, they figure people who are truly interested are just gonna trek to Philly.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, bnmjy said:

Probably because Delaware has a small population. I live in the Pittsburgh metro and there's more people here than all of Delaware. There's only one IKEA here. They intentionally design it this way.

So in your case, they figure people who are truly interested are just gonna trek to Philly.

And yet our population is growing. Sussex County alone has new housing developments going up like crazy. And I'm in a resort area, so surely that must attract the same people who shop at IKEA or Aldi.

I heard talk that we were going to get an Aldi near me soon. Apparently, they're looking at a third of this building that used to be a Kmart. The other two-thirds of the property are split between an andThat! and a PetsMart. The Kmart downsized to a third of its original size toward the end. And it had been limping along since Walmart came and took away their business.

4 minutes ago, bnmjy said:

Well then maybe there will be an IKEA if the population growth sustains itself. Still, with the proximity to Philly and Baltimore, I dunno. People from the entire state of West Virginia come to the Pittsburgh IKEA.

Maybe upstate (around Wilmington/New Castle), or around Dover. But, say, Rehoboth? That's a very transient area. It's jumping as hell in the summer and a nigh ghost town the rest of the year. And like I mentioned above, there's a fuckton of new housing developments in Sussex County alone. The development pisses us locals off because of the resulting traffic. We have so many transplants from Maryland, Virginia, D.C., Soviet Pennsyltuckistan, and New Jersey buying up these houses. And what are they going to do if they move here full-time? It's a resort area! The county council keeps rubber-stamping new developments like crazy. Farmland has been swallowed up for it, trees have been cut down. At the rate we're going, we won't have any woodlands, fields, or wetlands left. And for what? Take it from someone who's lived in Slower Lower Delaware for 22 years.

The fact of the matter is that Delaware still has a small population. There is approximately 2.4 million people in the Pittsburgh metro, more than twice the population of Delaware. IKEA is very picky when it comes to opening new stores.

Also, I really don't think most people think of going to IKEA while vacationing. For people who live far away and go to IKEA, it's normally a single-day getaway store.

On 9/17/2021 at 4:10 PM, bnmjy said:

The fact of the matter is that Delaware still has a small population. There is approximately 2.4 million people in the Pittsburgh metro, more than twice the population of Delaware. IKEA is very picky when it comes to opening new stores.

Also, I really don't think most people think of going to IKEA while vacationing. For people who live far away and go to IKEA, it's normally a single-day getaway store.

I bet if Delaware and the Eastern Shore counties of Maryland and Virginia merged into one state, we'd get an IKEA or two.

On 9/16/2021 at 9:47 PM, bnmjy said:

Seriously, even though it's a store associated with low quality, it has a good selection of European chocolates, probably because it's a German company.

Interesting that Aldi Nord (aka Trader Joe's) only has one type of chocolate candy online, yet Aldi Sud (Aldi) has quite a few.

2 hours ago, tsar4 said:

Interesting that Aldi Nord (aka Trader Joe's) only has one type of chocolate candy online, yet Aldi Sud (Aldi) has quite a few.

Not really.  Trader Joe's has a very distinct selection that hasn't changed since its days in Pasadena.  Aldi Nord purchased it well after it has already started aggressive expansion and had established its niche in the industry outside of its original home market.

Edited by scoobdog

On 9/16/2021 at 10:47 PM, bnmjy said:

Seriously, even though it's a store associated with low quality, it has a good selection of European chocolates, probably because it's a German company.

I'm betting on a thick cover of lies hiding your awful reaction to chocleur?  Or that weird slimy peanut butter in their nasty peanut butter cups?  Something must be off?  Based on my experience, that is.

1 hour ago, brainscour said:

I'm betting on a thick cover of lies hiding your awful reaction to chocleur?  Or that weird slimy peanut butter in their nasty peanut butter cups?  Something must be off?  Based on my experience, that is.

Who the fuck are you?

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, André Toulon said:

Seems like most of us know except you....this seems to be a YOU problem

Wait, wait, wait... Aldi? I shop there all the time and I didn't know they have good chocolate!  I'm shocked! They used to have plastic pints similar to ones blueberries or cherry tomatoes come in, of delicious peanut butter cups, but they switched up brands and now they're awful, and the only other chocolate I have ever seen there is chocleur and its watery, like pastey,  no crunch, no bite, no snap to it at all, and tastes strange.  Comparing it to Belgium, nope no way.

1 minute ago, brainscour said:

Wait, wait, wait... Aldi? I shop there all the time and I didn't know they have good chocolate!  I'm shocked! They used to have plastic pints similar to ones blueberries or cherry tomatoes come in, of delicious peanut butter cups, but they switched up brands and now they're awful, and the only other chocolate I have ever seen there is chocleur and its watery, like pastey,  no crunch, no bite, no snap to it at all, and tastes strange.  Comparing it to Belgium, nope no way.

Welp either your Aldi sucks or you chose poorly. Don't claim your experience as fact when others all seem to know something you don't

Edited by André Toulon
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, André Toulon said:

Welp either your Aldi sucks or you chose poorly. Don't claim your experience as fact when others all seem to know something you don't

No, wait, wait, wait, no facts, just light discussion, but here's a fact!  I thought IKEA was a furniture store.   I'm going to have to investigate this properly.

Damn those chocolate bars and their high ass calories forcing me to eat only three pieces in one sitting. Gotta nibble on those mofos so I feel satisfied. That's how you can tell besides the creaminess that it's the good shit; the whole calorie count like a fast food meal.

Edited by DragonSinger
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, brainscour said:

It's not like it's premium chocolate, for fuck's sake. It's just substantially better than other chocolates you can get at like Walmart or CVS. Sometimes, they have chocolate from Belgium.