UnevenEdge

Have you ever donated plasma?

NaBabby

35 minutes ago, 1pooh4u said:

Nope, never. Is it donating if you’re getting paid for it?  Is it still a donation of blood?  

They reimburse you for your donated time...and plasma. 

Ok it is selling plasma but I mean like this is how they get it, so.

It's like donating your blood juice. Your blood comes out of your vein dark red, is processed, like 32 oz looking-ish of the yellowish plasma separated, and then your blood is put back into you looking bright crimson bc it's mixed with saline solution that feels cold af. 

Then they give you $100 on a prepaid card

Edited by NaBabby
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Le Guignon said:

I sold plasma when I was a young and broke 20 year old.

I found it to be incredibly unpleasant despite my love of blood and needles

It's not pleasant but nothing that earns money is. I don't really mind it, just look at my phone the whole time. Not a good long term thing for your health probably to do this regularly, but a good way to stack a little bit extra for a moment. I mostly was annoyed I had to squeeze a foam sponge the whole time to keep the blood pumping, couldn't just like go to sleep 

28 minutes ago, NaBabby said:

They reimburse you for your donated time...and plasma. 

Ok it is selling plasma but I mean like this is how they get it, so.

It's like donating your blood juice. Your blood comes out of your vein dark red, is processed, like 32 oz looking-ish of the yellowish plasma separated, and then your blood is put back into you looking bright crimson bc it's mixed with saline solution that feels cold af. 

Then they give you $100 on a prepaid card

They put the red stuff back in you?  Are you fucking with me, or is that really what they do? 
I never donated any of that so I have no clue what they do. All I know is they don’t want my blood cuz people can OD off it or some shit idk Idt they would take my plasma either 😬

2 hours ago, 1pooh4u said:

They put the red stuff back in you?  Are you fucking with me, or is that really what they do? 

It's really what they do lol. Blood comes out, plasma is remover, red blood cells and blood water goes back in. 

They take most people's plasma. As long as you don't have Hiv or hepatitis and haven't slept with a guy who sleeps with guys or used a needle for drugs within the last several months, you're good to go as long as your blood is healthy (they do a couple quick tests) and you pass a basic physical.

It's easier to sterilize plasma than blood I guess which is why they don't pay for blood donations, bc if they paid for it like they do plasma then they'd be getting worse quality people donating worse quality blood I guess. 

Edited by NaBabby

Just now, André Toulon said:

Also, they didn't put anything back that I'm aware of.  But this was early 2000s after Katrina

That was probably a whole blood donation then. I'm fine doing those because there's no risk of anything going back into your veins.

They can still separate the plasma from the red blood cells with a whole blood donation. I think it's just that the recovery time for the donor this way is longer.

10 hours ago, bnmjy said:

That was probably a whole blood donation then. I'm fine doing those because there's no risk of anything going back into your veins.

They can still separate the plasma from the red blood cells with a whole blood donation. I think it's just that the recovery time for the donor this way is longer.

They said it was a plasma donation but I have no knowledge of the difference....either way.

18 minutes ago, GunStarHero said:

My kind can't donate blood or plasma cause we'll apparently give everyone gay cancer. 

I really don't intend to be rude, but aren't you a biological woman? There's no deferral for women who have sex with women.

4 minutes ago, bnmjy said:

I really don't intend to be rude, but aren't you a biological woman? There's no deferral for women who have sex with women.

If she's a biological woman who has sex with people who were born male who have recently had (or maybe it's have ever had, I don't remember) sex with other people who were born male, then it's an issue apparently.

Those were some of the questions I had to answer anyway during the screening process. 

7 minutes ago, bnmjy said:

They seem to believe all manner of queer people have HIV/AIDS. I have also heard we can be denied due to abnormal hormone levels, which can also apply to anyone taking something like estradiol. 

13 hours ago, bnmjy said:

I got AB blood, which is liquid gold when it comes to plasma. I never donated plasma by itself however. It seems like a risky way to contract HIV, imo. I've donated whole blood before, for free mind you.

How does it seem risky? They throw away everyone's bloody tubes and such at the end right there in front of you. They also test everyone for HIV beforehand

You mean bc of your blood going into the machine and mixing with someone's HIV that's lingering in there and being returned to you?

I'm not going to pretend like I know how those machines work, but I'm going to semi-confidently assume my blood isn't sloshing around in there with other people's residual blood and that it isn't a risky way to contract HIV. 

11 minutes ago, NaBabby said:

How does it seem risky? They throw away everyone's bloody tubes and such at the end right there in front of you. They also test everyone for HIV beforehand

You mean bc of your blood going into the machine and mixing with someone's HIV that's lingering in there and being returned to you?

I'm not going to pretend like I know how those machines work, but I'm going to semi-confidently assume my blood isn't sloshing around in there with other people's residual blood and that it isn't a risky way to contract HIV. 

just google "hiv plasma arrest" and read the stories that pop up.

No thank you. I'll stick with doordash.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, tsar4 said:

Did it once via an ALYX machine.  Kinda felt weird compared to a normal donation, particularly when they returned the platelets into my system.

I've never donated blood before so I can't compare but yeah it feels weird during the returns. Didn't hurt but just weird and I got very cold at the very end when they returned the final bit+saline, weird sensations all around. 

23 minutes ago, bnmjy said:

just google "hiv plasma arrest" and read the stories that pop up.

No thank you. I'll stick with doordash.

All I'm seeing is stories about desperate broke people with HIV lying and donating their plasma for the money and it being caught by the donation facility. The only people at risk of getting HIV here would be the hospital patients receiving the plasma, if the facility hadn't tested it for HIV or however they found out it was bad in these stories. The article I just read had the facility quoted as saying sterile medical equipment is used and disposed of for each patient, so no I don't see how anyone else donating plasma is at risk from someone HIV positive donating before them. 

Edited by NaBabby

24 minutes ago, André Toulon said:

You be ok if I don't take YOUR word for it, right?

If they took your blood and didn't put any fluids back into your body then you...donated blood. Don't take my word for it, this is what you yourself said happened...if they didn't return your blood minus plasma back into you, then you gave them your whole blood, not just the plasma.

I hope this clears things up. 

On 9/5/2021 at 5:30 PM, NaBabby said:

They're paying a lot right now.

$100!

Could've heard wrong since it was a radio ad from a channel in the metro area by where I work at in my home townm but I'm cruising in my cable van.. (that's not full of modems and wire with copper no we don't do that anymore... ) Anyway the ad said a clinic there was offering $1000 for plasma donations.. I might look into this for personal reasons.

1G to let you puncture my bones... hmmm..  Maybe I can get past the needle this time lol IDK. 🙏

Edited by PhilosipherStoned

1 minute ago, PhilosipherStoned said:

Anyway the ad said a clinic there was offering $1000 for plasma donations.. I might look into this for personal reasons.

1G to let you puncture my bones... hmmm..  Maybe I can get past the needle this time lol IDK. 🙏

They probably said something like Earn Up To $1000 This Month

As in they'll pay new donors $1000 if they donate twice a week for four weeks, something like that. 

It definitely wasn't $1000 for one or two donations. 

11 hours ago, NaBabby said:

As in they'll pay new donors $1000 if they donate twice a week for four weeks, something like that. 

It's predatory, is what it is. Do you really think it's safe to donate that much plasma, especially when there's a pandemic going on? I was reading that other countries, like the UK, only allow 2 plasma donations a month.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, NaBabby said:

Seems right actually especially since I'm just talking about a comericial I was sceptical about. I'm kind of curious about how painful it really is though.

2 hours ago, bnmjy said:

It's predatory, is what it is. Do you really think it's safe to donate that much plasma, especially when there's a pandemic going on? I was reading that other countries, like the UK, only allow 2 plasma donations a month.

Yeah it's totally predatory, always has been. $20-$100 for a plasma donation that is sold for hundreds or thousands. 

The Red Cross recommends donating plasma only once a month, but these places let you do it 2x a week with a day in between visits infinitely. There are regulars who come in and know all the nurses and have their usual chair. I read that frequent donors have lower quality plasma bc fewer proteins in the blood and stuff (this is something they prick your finger and test for before every donation), I'm sure those exploited lifers are less healthy in some intangible way because of all their many constant donations. 

I'm not really worried about it in the short term but yeah, it's not something I would do regularly for years. It's probably fine though.

Edited by NaBabby

3 minutes ago, PhilosipherStoned said:

Seems right actually especially since I'm just talking about a comericial I was sceptical about. I'm kind of curious about how painful it really is though.

Not painful at all except for the needle insertion. You have to keep the blood pumping by squeezing a foam rubber thing constantly so your hand might get pretty tired, but the more you do that the quicker it takes. If you just sit there and don't pump at all it takes twice as long. 

For the first time I was a couple pounds under instead of a couple pounds over (one of the key weight thresholds that determine the volume of plasma they remove from you) so it went quicker since I didn't have to give as much. This would usually pay less as larger people are able to make more money per $ due to donating more plasma (and taking a longer time to do so) but for rn it was still a flat $100. 

Feels good to be helping people during a pandemic with my bodily fluids somehow, and I appreciate the opportunity for $ from a non labor employer.

I have developed some "superficial thrombophlebitis" on the same ide of my body as my donor arm. These are several little red blood clots visible beneath the skin on my hands and feet. Just like little red dots.

Google says it's usually fine and goes away without incident in a couple weeks and lists recent injections as a common cause. Slight risk of serious complications beyond that. I'm not going to worry about it. Might switch up and try the other side for some balance, just wanted to avoid scarring that arm but o well

Couple dots on the heel of my foot that I had been sitting on 

Spoiler

IMG_20210915_190104275.thumb.jpg.d98b4f0a6f46936c2afc1ee6063fd6cb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Got rejected for the first time due to low protein count (was a 5.9, needs to be between 6 - 9, idk what unit of measurement)

I think it's because I didn't eat any meat in the days since I last donated. That's what the nurse recommended I do anyway and try again tomorrow. Came back the next day after ingesting some tuna and scored a 6.3

Still got some weird red dots, just a thing that happens with injections. Don't think it's anything serious like what killed that lady who got vaxed even tho it ... sounds like basically the same thing as what she had - blood clots with low platelets. (You have low platelets after donating.) 

The woman’s cause of death was thrombosis with thrombocytopenia syndrome (TTS), a condition researchers have said is a rare but “potentially serious adverse event in people who received the J&J vaccine,” the statement said. TTS is known as blood clots with low platelets, according to the CDC.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/king-county-woman-in-late-30s-becomes-first-person-in-washington-to-die-of-jj-vaccine-complication/

Gotta get 3 more donations in soon before my new donor window ends and the pay goes down to $70. At that point I might try the new donor program at other plasma place - I know somebody that got a total of $350 from them after their first two donations. 

Edited by Nabreezy