UnevenEdge

Live Action One Piece, from sheer confusion to Season 2 renewal.

Jman

I'm sure she'll do the character some degree of justice, and it also makes sense what with them being adopted sisters, but Black Nojiko feels like a finger on a monkey's paw curling in response to certain sections of the fandom desperately not wanting a Black Nami.

17 hours ago, PokeNirvash said:

I'm sure she'll do the character some degree of justice, and it also makes sense what with them being adopted sisters, but Black Nojiko feels like a finger on a monkey's paw curling in response to certain sections of the fandom desperately not wanting a Black Nami.

Gotta find some way to piss off everyone.  And now everyone is pissed off.  Netflix has made these casting choices symbolic of bad shows.  It’s messed up when you get some distance from the property that black actress = unfaithful, crappy show in the minds of so many.

If Robin Williams couldn’t make Popeye work, then Godoy doesn’t have a chance to make Luffy work.

Edited by Jman

22 hours ago, PokeNirvash said:

Having a black Nami would have followed the noticeable trend of red heads becoming black characters which has certainly caused ire whether it should or not. It’s kind of like trading one kind of underrepresented group for another though that’s probably a stretch.

Still I love me some redhead white girls so I’d at least be a bit bummed.

I think Nojiko being a different ethnicity than Nami is fine. Maybe Bellemiere will also be a different ethnicity than both? I have no qualms with that.

• 1 month later...

Netflix is scrambling to make a replacement for Stranger Things as essentially their Star Wars or Harry Potter.  And the three series earmarked for the placement include the LA Last Airbender (which Paramount and the original creators are already trying to derail) The Three Body Problem (a Chinese novel series which is already sus to Americans) and One Piece.

If they somehow pull that off, it could put Toonami in a VERY interesting place.

On 6/6/2022 at 1:42 PM, Jman said:

No trailers or footage, just casting and physical sets. 

Yeah, the woman playing Nojiko is getting the usual reception.

People need to chill out about blind castings of characters. We saw this with new LOTR and RE series. Makes people so triggered.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Jman said:

Netflix is scrambling to make a replacement for Stranger Things as essentially their Star Wars or Harry Potter.  And the three series earmarked for the placement include the LA Last Airbender (which Paramount and the original creators are already trying to derail) The Three Body Problem (a Chinese novel series which is already sus to Americans) and One Piece.

If they somehow pull that off, it could put Toonami in a VERY interesting place.

Not if Netflix tries to put all exclusive rights on Netflix like what Sony's been doing with Crunchyroll.

• 1 month later...

The series has wrapped filming.

As the One Piece fandom collectively prays for it to meet the same fate as Batgirl, it’s apparently being targeted for a mid 2023 release.

Edit - And just for fun, the One Piece wrap party cocktails. Coming soon to a bar near you if this show is a success.

Edited by Jman

There's effort here, I'll give it that.  I'm a bit more optimistic for it now than I was last year.  I do hope it turns out good.

I think I just instinctively cringe at this point when I think of live action anime, for better or for worse.  I can thank Dragon Ball Evolution for that.  If One Piece manages to break that for me then I'll be happy.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Top Gun said:

Who's praying for that? I want to see what they came up with. Not that I think it has any real chance of being good, mind you, but from everything I've seen they put genuine effort into it.

Whoever they are, I don't know why they cry about shit like this when they could just not watch it.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

If I could rub Matt Owens and the clowns at Tomorrow Studio’s noses in shit, I would.  Seriously, go full Hispanic grandmother, rub their noses in it, and go “Aprende!” (Learn!) until they get it or never adapt anime to live action again.

We know that anime fans offer ZERO quarter for changes as the Bebop disaster proved.  Don’t flush millions down the toilet.

Edited by Jman
  • D'oh 2

2 hours ago, Jman said:
If I could rub Matt Owens and the clowns at Tomorrow Studio’s noses in shit, I would.  Seriously, go full Hispanic grandmother, rub their noses in it, and go “Aprende!” (Learn!) until they get it or never adapt anime to live action again.

Holy shit calm your tits and go check your blood pressure. Sanji already has moments where he gets to be suave, dialing that part of his personality up isn't a massive change. Sanji constantly defaulting to bootlicking simp mode around women is a pretty common criticism I've seen from a lot of fans who, surprise, would like to see more of him being cool instead of a cringy bastard.

• Thanks 4

No, you’re right.  That was a bit too much.

I just want that equivalent of that scene where people know anime adaptations won’t all suck, (essentially the equivalent of Superman catching the helicopter or “I’m Batman.”).  Maybe I shouldn’t be looking for it in One Piece.  But there’s always that fear of hearing “Welcome to the Ouch!” again.

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Oda claims to be personally involved in reviewing and editing S1 of the show;

Don’t do that Oda.  We all know it’s going to be Bebop all over again.  Not to mention with Netflix being so cancel happy any more than two seasons will be a miracle.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I try to be nice, I honestly do but there was only one way this was going to end.

Keep in mind the source is apparently EXTREMELY questionable but given that this was a bad idea from the word “Go!” it’s being taken as gospel.

Edit - Fans pushing back against the leak -

AAEB2B6C-823A-47CA-A6B8-19265616F891.jpeg

Edited by Jman

18 hours ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

I always love people that write an entire dissertation on why a leak is no good, as if they know any better. It could be all horseshit the person made up, or they could have legitimately found some inside info somewhere. Unless you are actually on the staff you know as much as we do.

It’s more frustration with anyone being able to mine statements for fun and profit.  Not to mention that even when semi-official sources push back, it’s still being seen as gospel.

Also and this may straight up be hopeless optimism, but after Alice in Borderland and the Kenshin films, I was hoping that the adaptation curse of sorts could be bypassed and that shitty Bebop cringefest with the self declared PC censor was the end of people missing the point.

Optimism can be hard.

36 minutes ago, Jman said:

It’s more frustration with anyone being able to mine statements for fun and profit.  Not to mention that even when semi-official sources push back, it’s still being seen as gospel.

Also and this may straight up be hopeless optimism, but after Alice in Borderland and the Kenshin films, I was hoping that the adaptation curse of sorts could be bypassed and that shitty Bebop cringefest with the self declared PC censor was the end of people missing the point.

Optimism can be hard.

To me, comments like these make leaks seem more realistic. “Hey that super negative review that’s going around is total baloney just don’t read it DONT READ IT STOP!!!!” Then people like that will likely push a “real” review in a few weeks that Netflix paid to sing praises. 

Not when the guy was lying his ass off over the Detective Pikachu sequel, the release date for a Rise of the Beasts trailer, and other botched scoops.

But that reaffirms my earlier point.  There’s no winning because everyone wants to be the one to point and go “Ha! Ha!” even when the source is completely disingenuous.

Let me guess, the source is an alt right anime "pundit" who uses the genre to soap box their political crap?  Like those Star Wars shitheads I blocked on YouTube.  Some of those guys are just straight up racists and misogynists.  The behavior over the new Darksider girl in Obi-Wan Kenobi was reprehensible.

Edited by ben0119

On 4/20/2023 at 3:46 PM, ben0119 said:

Let me guess, the source is an alt right anime "pundit" who uses the genre to soap box their political crap?  Like those Star Wars shitheads I blocked on YouTube.  Some of those guys are just straight up racists and misogynists.  The behavior over the new Darksider girl in Obi-Wan Kenobi was reprehensible.

Close.  It’s a random rumor monger who posts unverified rumors for engagement and clout.  He got caught with his hand in the cookie jar numerous times recently though, such as posting fake DC rumors James Gunn said were BS.

That being said, GriftTube ran with the story and still reports it as fact, because it fits the narrative of filthy western activists ruining everything.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

An update from Oda (maybe in response to the fake test rumors?) where he is alleging that he does get final say on the project and while it’s being finalized, it will not be released until he gives it the OK.

• Like 1

On 4/21/2023 at 11:55 PM, Jman said:

Close.  It’s a random rumor monger who posts unverified rumors for engagement and clout.  He got caught with his hand in the cookie jar numerous times recently though, such as posting fake DC rumors James Gunn said were BS.

That being said, GriftTube ran with the story and still reports it as fact, because it fits the narrative of filthy western activists ruining everything.

I blocked all the political parasites and fake news tubers for Star Wars eons ago.  And honestly most of the anime Youtubers seem abysmal with a few exceptions.  I found a good guy for covering the new Bleach anime, and there's this other guy that's pretty good for manga and anime in general.  I might post them later.  Man, I'm terrible with names lol.

1 hour ago, Jman said:

An update from Oda (maybe in response to the fake test rumors?) where he is alleging that he does get final say on the project and while it’s being finalized, it will not be released until he gives it the OK.

Phew!  That's a relief.  I hope that shit disturber Youtuber is getting eaten alive by anime fans right now!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here it is, kids!  August 31, 2023 premiere date, and now Luffy has a Mexican accent.  Buckle up because everyone, and I mean EVERYONE will have an opinion for one of the most expensive shows ever filmed.

Edited by Jman

9 minutes ago, Jman said:

Here it is, kids!  August 31, 2023 premiere date, and now Luffy has a Mexican accent.  Buckle up because everyone, and I mean EVERYONE will have an opinion for one of the most expensive shows ever filmed.

I just watched this trailer and I’m scared. 😂

3 minutes ago, EmpressAngel said:

Luffy is adorable and this is actually kinda better than I expected.

Like I still don't understand why they chose a property that'll cost so much to adapt there's virtually no way they'll see a return on that investment, but I can appreciate the attempt.

I like it visually.  I don't know about making Luffy from a hyperactive five year old into a 12 year old whose entire idea of being a badass is imitating the MCU, but it's one of those minor changes I can live with.  

Sure doesn’t look like it’s one of the most expensive TV series ever filmed. Looks rather cheap honestly.

Despite the hand crafted boats and sets, every shot looks fake. The creature CGI is rough but so far Luffy’s stretching looks about as real as it can.

Very authentic costuming, perhaps to a fault.

The few bits of dialogue we got did amuse me and I can feel the enthusiasm from the cast both on and off the screen. With a decent script it could be enjoyable. I’ll give it a shot.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Sketch said:

Sure doesn’t look like it’s one of the most expensive TV series ever filmed. Looks rather cheap honestly.

It looks extremely cheap. Like distractingly so. If that’s what they are putting in the promo, I shudder to think of what normal scenes look like. They dumped all the money into a couple set pieces and the rest will suffer. 

That aside, it actually does feel like One Piece. The characters feel like who they are supposed to be. So often we see a live action project where the entire cast are nothing like the original. 

I still don’t think it will be good, but it looks like it will be mediocre enough to give a chance for a few laughs. The cheap looks and pedal to the metal pacing is gonna be a huge hurdle for it though. 

It doesn't work.

They tried, I can tell they tried, it's just a property that doesn't work in live action.

Bebop could have though. I'm not sure why all these Netflix productions are insistent on these hyper-sharpened h.264 output cameras for these kinds of things. Use something with more grain like an ARRI (or better yet... film 宇ス位).