UnevenEdge

Final Fantasy VI

Kudasai

7 minutes ago, Kudasai said:

That wouldn't have been possible anyway seeing as how The Tick premiered in 1994 and Final Fantasy IV was released in 1991

Ah, but before the Tick was a TV cartoon character, he was a comic book character debuting in 1986 and getting his own comic in 1988.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tick_(character)

When did he start using his "spoon" war cry though? I have no idea.

3 minutes ago, Doom Metal Alchemist said:

Ah, but before the Tick was a TV cartoon character, he was a comic book character debuting in 1986 and getting his own comic in 1988.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tick_(character)

When did he start using his "spoon" war cry though? I have no idea.

Can anyone verify that Woolsey was a fan of The Tick comics prior to translating FF4?

I have the PS1 re-releases of FF4-6. I first played FF6 on an emulator (didn't have a SNES or the re-release at the time).

To confess something: I've never finished any of the Final Fantasy games. Ever. I've played the NES, SNES, and two of the PS1 games at various times, but never finished any of them. I want to like them, given the world-building and stories involved. And Nobuo Uematsu is one of the GOATs of composers. But the random battles always turned me off. I'm more of a Chrono Trigger/Cross girl myself. I liked those games better because they didn't have you stumble into invisible enemies every three virtual meters. Far better mechanic than those pesky random battles.

So it wasn't Ted Woolsey who translated FFIV, but rather the phrase comes from the Japanese translators.

Final Fantasy Wikia: The original English translation of Final Fantasy IV for the SNES is often misattributed to Ted Woolsey. Woolsey is known for his work translating Final Fantasy VI, where similar silly and nonsensical lines, such as "son of a submariner!", were used. However, the translation of Final Fantasy IV is credited to Kaoru Moriyama, K. Okahisa, and H. Takahashi. The word "spoony" means "enamored in a silly or sentimental way". Thus, Tellah's usage of the word to refer to Edward is apt at describing Edward's actual character, but the term is considered archaic, and Tellah's use of such a mild insult given his anger is unlikely. Tellah's impression of Edward up to this point was of a lout who manipulated his daughter, not of a somebody who is naive and blinded by their emotions. The limited size of the battle dialogue box likely influenced the translation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, André Toulon said:

They had me until they blamed the dialogue box ....FF has never had a problem spamming dialogue boxes to pad story/make side quests seem important

The thing though is that "You spoony bard" was in a battle scene, and in battle scenes the dialogue boxes self scroll quickly, as I recall usually one line at a time, rather than giving you as much time as you need to read a massive box than press A when you're ready like overworld dialogue boxes.

1 hour ago, Doom Metal Alchemist said:

The thing though is that "You spoony bard" was in a battle scene, and in battle scenes the dialogue boxes self scroll quickly, as I recall usually one line at a time, rather than giving you as much time as you need to read a massive box than press A when you're ready like overworld dialogue boxes.

That might be right...pretty sure you can control those boxes tho. I seem to remember my friend and I capturing the "me...me...meteo" part on a Polaroid and we just sat there with the box open until we got the camera......but not 100% on that so I may be wrong.