UnevenEdge
Jman

Netflix releases first visuals of their live action Cowboy Bebop

1 hour ago, Jman said:

They said Ed would show in Season 2.  

well that's a relief. I missed that part.

4 hours ago, Jman said:

Ask most anime fans and “Tank!” is, if not considered the best anime opening ever, it’s at least in the top 10.

Apparently the Netflix people agreed, because they literally just remade the anime OP.  It’s the same damn track from the anime.

I spent maybe 30 seconds nodding in approval at some parts, and the other 60 seconds cringing to the point of having a stroke.

21 hours ago, Jman said:

Ask most anime fans and “Tank!” is, if not considered the best anime opening ever, it’s at least in the top 10.

Apparently the Netflix people agreed, because they literally just remade the anime OP.  It’s the same damn track from the anime.

You really can't do better then Tank so glad they kept it....im a little exited but still my hope are kind of low but I'll have an open mind 

• Like 1

I'd wager, after the voices, the music is going to be the second big hurdle in whether this turns out acceptable. Even if they got Kanno on board, there's no guarantee it'd have the same punch these decades later..

Okay, I actually quite enjoyed that teaser.

Also, "What Planet is This" from the Bebop movie still ROCKS in here, just like "Tank!".

Green Bird still sounds iconic too.

Even if it may just be for this little bonus production I really liked the fight choreography and the way they did the edit with the bars thing too and how fully integrated it was and not just half-assed, that clearly took a lot of time and it felt cool.

Edited by DangerMouse

6 hours ago, MasqueradeOverture said:

SOOOOOOooooooooooo corny.

If it wasn't clear before it's clear now. This is going to taint Bebop's legacy.

I want this thing to fail.

I. REALLY. Hope the frenetic editing and acting are just for this one trailer/short, because this is NOT the tone I expect from Cowboy Bebop.

12 hours ago, MasqueradeOverture said:

SOOOOOOooooooooooo corny.

If it wasn't clear before it's clear now. This is going to taint Bebop's legacy.

I want this thing to fail.

Dude, nothing's getting "tainted." The history of popular media is full of shitty remakes of much better older properties, and no one ever thinks any less of the older ones at the end of the day.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Top Gun said:

Dude, nothing's getting "tainted." The history of popular media is full of shitty remakes of much better older properties, and no one ever thinks any less of the older ones at the end of the day.

Unless it's someone who hears bad things about anime in general but has been given info that "but BEBOP iz one uv the GUUUUUD ones" and immediately sees things from this version instead and says "FUCK. THIS. BULLSHIT who is this even [email protected]!!" before they can go hunting for the original (on the same damn service even).

Yes, it can do harm. Anime still has a level of stigma and this doesn't help.

Edited by MasqueradeOverture

Calm your tits. I hate to drag out the ol' Dragonball Evolution dead horse, but if that couldn't "taint its series' legacy" then nothing Netflix Bebop can do could ruin original Bebop's.

Seriously, where do y'all keep coming up with these weirdly specific hypothetical viewers to be so concerned about? So the person in your example is someone who's heard that Cowboy Bebop is a great anime, goes to look for it, finds a live action series circa 2021 that's openly going to say "INSPIRED BY COWBOY BEBOP CARTOON" in the credits, assume this live action one is what they've been recommended, watch enough of the series to be soured on the entire franchise, totally skip over the original series that's inevitably going to be recommended right next to the damn thing, and never bother checking out the anime? Or maybe, just maybe, the recommendation they'll get is "Cowboy Bebop is an amazing anime. Don't bother with the live action remake, though" and just watch the anime, which is easy to tell from the live action series by obviously being a goddamn cartoon?

Edited by EmpressAngel
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 10/20/2021 at 4:56 PM, Top Gun said:

This.