UnevenEdge

Jason Demarco Toonami faithful podcast interview

- Cosmo Samurai was greenlit pre-COVID and it's much cheaper to produce than the TIE stuff. CGI is expensive and is getting more expensive.

- They're still deciding what to do for the 25th anniversary next year.

- Stuff like Cosmo Samurai and the Rick and Morty anime shorts come from a separate budget and it is not tied to the budget for acquiring shows.

- We should be getting info about the original series in a couple months, such as premiere dates. He said everyone is pleased with how they're turning out, including the "high, higher-ups."

- As always, Toonami plans are known well in advance before the public knows. For example, there was a funny moment where Jason forgot that Dr. Stone season 2 is coming to Toonami because he had known for a while it was coming.

- And the last thing was the topic about DB: Super reruns. Basically, that's Kim Manning's decision and the reason why it's starting the block is what we have known for a while: it brings in the ratings. The Toonami people see more data than the general public and the show brings in the casual people to Toonami. Jason did say that they're aware that some people are unhappy about this and he said the show won't be at midnight "forever" but it's there for the foreseeable future. He also said that while he appreciates the die-hard fans of the block, they're still a television network at the end of the day and they need to bring in the eyeballs. He also mentioned that My Hero Academia reruns don't do well on the block compared to Super and he speculated it's because My Hero's audience is much younger, so they'll stream it compared to DB fans.

• Like 5

He also mentioned that My Hero Academia reruns don't do well on the block compared to Super and he speculated it's because My Hero's audience is much younger, so they'll stream it compared to DB fans.

I think we all sort of suspected that was the case, but it's nice to have it confirmed.

• Like 1

Well, it's also the fact that MHA has its DUB streaming before it airs on Toonami. Too bad AOT, which was not similarly hamstrung, just couldn't maintain its popularity, or maybe its popularity was more toward the subtitled version?

I still argue maybe it should have gotten midnight, but 12:30 feels right for MHA for some reason.

1 hour ago, Jman said:

I think we all sort of suspected that was the case, but it's nice to have it confirmed.

It also doesn't at all help that Funimation barely advertises Dragonball Super, and no other service ever advertises where you can stream it, so people commonly think Toonami is the only place available to see it.

6 hours ago, CountFrylock said:

unless these people stick around for the other shows what does toonami gain from catering to people who don't like anything that isn't dragon ball?

Ratings. If it gets higher ratings that anything else would in that timeslot, there's literally no reason not to keep it there. This ain't a hard question to answer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EmpressAngel said:

Ratings. If it gets higher ratings that anything else would in that timeslot, there's literally no reason not to keep it there. This ain't a hard question to answer.

Oddly enough, the jury's still out on whether MHA premieres will do better than DBS reruns. This really hasn't been tested before.

3 hours ago, EmpressAngel said:

Unless You Live in Bizarro World it makes zero sense to not have MHA S5 as the lead show instead of two year old DBS Reruns

when it's likely it could outperform that crap if you just gave it the chance and didn't keep insisting nothing can do better than DBS Reruns

• Thanks 1