UnevenEdge

Demon Slayer: Mugen Train

Has anybody here seen this movie yet or plan on seeing it?  I went last night and it's totally worth it to see on the big screen if you can do so safely.

From a production standpoint it definitely felt like being made during the pandemic probably held it back from being as amazing as a ufotable movie can be, which is understandable giving the limitations they were probably under during early production.  So having said that there are still some really amazing movie quality scenes throughout the film, but for the most part it's really like an extended episode of the series, which isn't a bad thing given how good the shows quality could be. 

I'd probably say the most glaring flaw if you could call it that is some of the cgi used for demons that really stands out compared to everything else but that's about it as far as i'm concerned.

I won't spoil the plot details for anybody who hasn't gone yet, but the film starts right where the show left off and just goes on from there as you may expect.  As far as character development, tanjiro and rengoku are really the ones spotlighted throughout, so seeing more of rengoku and his past was pretty interesting.  I thought maybe inosuke and zenitsu would also be a little more fledged out but it was pretty much more of the same for their characters.  We do get some more nezuko dialogue though so that was nice, I think abby trott does a great job as her voice considering the limitations of a muzzled character.

The voice cast did a great job, I will say that the first meeting of rengoku in this movie is hilarious from a dub perspective. 

So to wrap it up, there's much of what you would find in the show throughout this film, action, comedy, tragedy, and strong family themes, so if you enjoyed the show it should be right up your alley.

One more thing to point out is after seeing this I can totally understand why it was rated r here, there is definitely strong levels of violence towards the end that even though animated I get why they went that way rating wise.

• Like 5

I'm planning on seeing it (dubbed) with my uncle on Sunday. We both watched the first season on Toonami and between the block's indefinite embargo on movies and the high likelihood it won't get re-adapted for the small screen in season 2, it makes more sense to see it on our own time.

• Like 2

Apparently the film beat the Mortal Kombat remake at the box office, but the latter has the handicap of being on HBO Max for no extra cost (that and everyone hates the OC as they should).  

DeMarco probably will pick up S2 as soon as it’s available otherwise Netflix will get the film and the second season for viewers.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

This is NOT Japan--this is L.A.!

You look at this and TELL ME Demon Slayer isn't mainstream!!

FB_IMG_1619286046917.jpg

FB_IMG_1619286041232.jpg

FB_IMG_1619286034834.jpg

FB_IMG_1619286023851.jpg

Very cool.

Yeah, I'd be surprised if season 2 doesn't make it to Toonami with or without airing the movie.

Since they don't really do movies anymore it's kinda tricky, but they probably kind of need to this time since this one's obviously unusual in that it's the actual next arc of the story, so maybe they make an exception and get some kind of deal for airing it the week before S2 premieres.

• Like 1

I was thinking it over and maybe I will see this at the theater after all.  It's been two weeks since my second Moderna shot as of Wednesday.  I could go tomorrow, but maybe I'd be better off going on Monday since it will be less busy then.  I'll have to see.  It's not playing at my town's theater but it is in the town next over.

I talked to my therapist yesterday about possibly going back to that transportation museum I'm a member of on May 8th.  They'll be running the steam engine the same day they are having the model T show.  And she set my next appointment for an in-person appointment.  She said I could call and change it to virtual if I want.  But she said I should start doing stuff again, and I think I agree.

About 6000 people out of the 75 million vaccinated in the U.S. got covid.  Those numbers sound pretty good to me.

• Like 2

It was a great movie, and people were definitely right that it's worth seeing in the theater, and as soon as you can.  I'm glad I didn't wait or settle for a small screen viewing.

Besides, I've been fully vaccinated as of the 22nd.  The 7th was my second Moderna shot.  And when you buy tickets from Cinemark at these reserved seating theaters, they block out the seats on either side of the seat or group of seats you buy, and there's plenty of room in between the rows.  What's more, at this theater and showtime (4 o'clock) there were only like 2 or 3 other people there.  For whatever reason people were mostly going to the two other locations.

People were also definitely right that the movie is not optional viewing if you're going to want to keep up with the story going forward.  A LOT happened.

Spoiler

I will say that movie definitely didn't go the way I expected.

I didn't expect that other demon to show up after the battle with the train demon.  And the battle did not go the way I expected.

The extra Nezuko goodness was nice. 

I am confused by the 12 Kizuki rankings though.  The Demon on the train was ranked as lower one, so I thought he was the number one ranked Kizuki.  But then he talked about how he wanted to move up the ranks, and the the other demon that showed up was ranked in the Upper Three, and was considered one of the top demons.

If you guys get the chance and can see the movie safely, do so.  Don't depend on DEMARCO.

Although something that I didn't like was the ticket cost.  Cinemark charged more for this than any other movie.  And it wasn't any cheaper if you went to a matinee.  It was 13.25!  Every other movie was $11.25, and $7 for a matinee. Is that the Aniplex tax?!  Then Cinemark charged me a $1.75 online ticket fee!  What is that crap?!  They don't have to pay anyone to take my tickets if I buy them online.  If anything online bought tickets should cost LESS.  The only way to avoid that fee is to go to the theater ahead of time, which defeats the purpose, and you'd probably pay more in gas at that point!  After the tax and all was done my ticket cost $16.23!

Edited by ben0119

Tickets bought online are more expensive because the "online convenience fee" has to be used to pay the cost of the web hosting or franchise fees to be able to use something like Fandango.

My ticket was $16.50, but I may be able to see it a 2nd time for only $5 if it's still in theaters in mid-May. At least at this point since it was such a huge success, it will be possible to watch the season finale this week on Toonami, then go to the theater on Sunday and see the movie!

Edited by OwlChemist81
  • Like 3

I got my second shot, so I'm probably going to go this weekend.

Apparently it was available for sale on PS Video for a few hours (only via the PS4 and Google, not via any other method) but it's since been removed.  So if you want to get on board the Train, you're gonna have to find a theatre or wait till June.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Top Gun said:

I'm not going to bother with seeing this in theaters, but I feel like whenever I do get around to seeing it, my main reaction is going to be "...that was it?"

You gotta remember that for a lot of people, this is the first time they've been to a movie since before COVID, unless they rented out a theater for something (which some theaters were doing during the pandemic in an attempt to keep their heads above water).  

I'm expecting an arc of Demon Slayer with a bigger budget, but the circumstances, I presume, make the film more special.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Jman said:

You gotta remember that for a lot of people, this is the first time they've been to a movie since before COVID, unless they rented out a theater for something (which some theaters were doing during the pandemic in an attempt to keep their heads above water).  

I'm expecting an arc of Demon Slayer with a bigger budget, but the circumstances, I presume, make the film more special.

I am already counting beyond the fingers on my hand the number of my friends who WILL see this in theaters or HAVE seen this in theaters! It appears to be working.

• Like 1

On 4/27/2021 at 9:52 AM, OwlChemist81 said:

Tickets bought online are more expensive because the "online convenience fee" has to be used to pay the cost of the web hosting or franchise fees to be able to use something like Fandango.

My ticket was $16.50, but I may be able to see it a 2nd time for only $5 if it's still in theaters in mid-May. At least at this point since it was such a huge success, it will be possible to watch the season finale this week on Toonami, then go to the theater on Sunday and see the movie!

I bought it off Cinemark's own website.  The costs to maintain a website can't be anywhere near what it is to pay all those employees at all their theaters.  And as I said before, it would be no cheaper for me no matter when I went.  No matinee discount, AND it was slightly more expensive than any other movie.

On 4/27/2021 at 12:24 PM, Top Gun said:

I'm not going to bother with seeing this in theaters, but I feel like whenever I do get around to seeing it, my main reaction is going to be "...that was it?"

I wasn't disappointed.  In fact, it went above my expectations.  Of course, it would depend on how much you already like the series to begin with.

i love how they kept saying it was playing for one day only. but it's still in theatres. i took a day off work to see it, but in the end, was able to see it three different times

(my body's not used to sitting still in the dark and when my blood sugar is high in situations like that, i end up dozing off. i kept missing the middle. third time, i skipped breakfast so i made it through)

15 hours ago, ben0119 said:

I wasn't disappointed.  In fact, it went above my expectations.  Of course, it would depend on how much you already like the series to begin with.

I mean it's a fun show, and I enjoyed it well enough, but I don't think it did anything particularly groundbreaking in the shonen realm, and I definitely don't think it warrants the stratospheric hype train it's created. The ANN review of the movie from a few months back is about what I expect I'll think of it: fine for what it is, but not much beyond an arc of the series put on the big screen.

(Also Zenitsu needs to die in a goddamn fire.)

31 minutes ago, Top Gun said:

I mean it's a fun show, and I enjoyed it well enough, but I don't think it did anything particularly groundbreaking in the shonen realm, and I definitely don't think it warrants the stratospheric hype train it's created. The ANN review of the movie from a few months back is about what I expect I'll think of it: fine for what it is, but not much beyond an arc of the series put on the big screen.

It was an arc of the series, yes, but one with VERY high production values and amazing animation.  If one aspect of the film lives up to the hype, it’s that the animation is legitimately great with the Sakagua moments when needed.

But yeah, it’s an arc of Demon Slayer with all its associated faults and foibles, the characters you like and the ones you can’t stand (although Zenitsu’s antics are at a rather minimum since he took the lesson about respecting women from the little girls to heart and only has eyes for Nezuko now).

Still I liked it quite a bit, but I still wonder if I would like it as much if it wasn’t the first time I’ve gone to a theatre in almost two years).

• Like 2

From memory, I got Black Widow, Free Guy, Wrath of Man, Ghostbusters Afterlife, Fast 9, A Quiet Place 2 (now with 100% less Jim Halpert!), and maybe one or two more I can't think of right now.

Compare that to the Broly movie, where I got 5 trailers: Mirai, the second HxH movie, a third anime movie I can't remember right now, the last How to Train Your Dragon, and some indie time travel shenanigans movie from New Zealand.

On 5/2/2021 at 4:31 PM, Top Gun said:

Demon Slayer gives a lot of vibes of past series I enjoyed.  Inuyasha, of course, Bleach, because of the Demon Slayer Corps and Hashira, swordsmen with special abilities, a bit of Kekkaishi, because of the secret organization hunting demons, the crows, outfits, art style, etc, and probably other series. 

Of course I would admit the series is probably nothing earth shattering, and the fact it seems to borrow from so many series probably hampers it for others.  I do think it is on the higher end of quality for shonen, though I do have my complaints, like the utilization of Nezuko.

Well it is an arc of the series, but with god-tier animation as expected, on a giant screen, plus a LOT OF SHIT WENT DOWN in the arc.  It was pretty impactful.

• Like 1

On 5/2/2021 at 5:32 PM, Jman said:

It’s also worth noting that the film got real trailers instead of just one or two for FUNI releases.  The Suicide Squad, Black Widow, etc. It’s unusual.

At first I thought you meant that Demon Slayer trailers got put in front of a bunch of regular movies.  Now I see you meant the trailers that got put before Demon Slayer.  Or maybe that did happen too.  Who knows.  I haven't seen any other movies lately.  Whatever media campaign blitz was done definitely worked.  Or the fan base was even bigger than we thought, even in the United States.

On 4/27/2021 at 10:24 AM, Top Gun said:

"That was it?" was basically my reaction. Like it was fine. I think I enjoyed the most recent One Piece and MHA movies just as much though. Compared to A Silent Voice or movies that aren't based on franchises it's really not worthy of high accolades.

I also felt that arc wasn't that interesting. It was probably best that it was done as a movie with a higher budget for the sake of the battle animation but aside from some emotional moments it didn't really grab me. Interesting enough demon powers on display I guess but not the highlight of the anime thus far IMO.

It is essential watching if you're keeping up with the anime and don't just want to read the manga but even though the animation is good I wouldn't say it has to be seen on a big screen. Just buy the digital release in June and don't rush out to see it in theaters, especially if you're not comfortable with going to a theater right now.

I will say though, Rengoku is a good character and he was fun to have around.

On 5/2/2021 at 3:32 PM, Jman said:

It’s also worth noting that the film got real trailers instead of just one or two for FUNI releases.  The Suicide Squad, Black Widow, etc. It’s unusual.

I noticed a SONY logo before all the anime studio logos. While I was under the impression this was being released by FUNimation Films, perhaps SONY Pictures is also involved. If so that might explain why Broly and MHA: Heroes Rising didn't get regular movie trailers before they played and this one did.