UnevenEdge

what do you pay for a pour of scotch

wacky1980

i'm working on expanding our scotch selection at the bar, and i'm struggling with pricing. our regular liquor pricing formula doesn't work so well in this instance. i'm shooting for a pour cost of around 35-45% which is ridiculously low (20% is probably average), but you have to remember we're in the sticks and margins tend to be shit on everything out here. so anyways, this is my current list:

GLENMORANGIE 10 - $6
GLENLIVET 12 -  $7
GLENFIDDICH 14 - $8
AUCHENTOSHAN 12 - $8
HIGHLAND PARK 12 - $10
GLENKINCHIE 12 - $10
GLEN SCOTIA 15 - $10
MACALLAN 12 - $11
LAPHROAIG 10 CASK - $12
GLENDRONACH 15 - $13
OBAN 14 - $14
LAGAVULIN 16 - $15
MACALLAN 18 - $38
BRUICHLADDICH 1984/32 - $96

many of these are about 25% lower than average retail from what i'm seeing online, but again, in the sticks. also, there's not shit for whiskey bars anywhere around here, so it's tough to just walk in somewhere and compare prices. what would you expect to pay for some of these in your area?

also, i know i have some standards missing from this list, and a couple only so-so bottles for such a small list. some of this shit's tough to source if you don't live on a coast or near a big city. and every region is represented, which was the biggest pain in the ass out of all of it. distribution laws are bullshit. thanks for your time.

Edited by wacky1980

Just now, resurrected said:

Damn. Bruichladdich is a grand a bottle? Are you even selling many shots of that in the sticks?

the bottle cost was $690 for a 750ml, and i should be able to get around sixteen 1-dram pours out of that. so our cost per serving = $43.13, divided by a pour cost of 45% = $96 retail. this means that, for every dollar we earn on that bottle, $0.45 of liquor is consumed. that's an embarrassing, pitiful margin for any liquor, but i can't justify a pour cost of 20% in my dive because that would put the pour at $215 retail.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...