UnevenEdge

which jeep color is more sexy

wacky1980

i was really into the idea of a white jeep when i started looking for a new ride last week. and i found a used one that's set up with just about all the features i'm looking for. but then i took a spin in this desert tan version that kinda makes my pants tight. the tan one is a stick, and i haven't driven a stick in years. but it was like riding a bike, geared pretty low and easy to pick back up. i'm not opposed to going back to a stick after driving that.

what to do, what to do...

JEEP2.jpg.e8aa4fab29c72a1c533e9a5b3800daf7.jpg

JEEP.jpg.be7cde9074dc1bf3e2d947b60d8960ca.jpg

1 minute ago, mthor said:

To heck with the color, get the stick.

the thought is growing on me. it took about five minutes of driving around in the city before i got the hang of it again. ngl, i killed it once at an intersection, and again trying to feel out reverse. but it was FUN. most of the driving i do is small town / country roads. if i lived in a city, i'd probably avoid a stick just because it would be unnecessary.

Just now, nameraka said:

Niether. 

too light.

i'm also not opposed to black. there's a black one on my short list too. it's a soft top, which has its advantages, but it's not set up how i'd like it. i can always fix those options later, but it's easier to buy it the way you want it. it's getting moved up to the dealership close to me today/tomorrow and i'll probably take it for a spin before making a decision.

JEEP3.thumb.png.a9015b62901b830effa60f96f191f571.png

• Thanks 1

i drove another black one yesterday too. it was a little older, 160k miles and had an oil leak somewhere. it drove ok and was real clean. but that's a lot more miles than i'm comfortable with right now, as i'm looking for something i can easily keep on the road for the next 5-10 years.

4 minutes ago, RainyDayJizz#35 said:

Black cars look dirty fast, and that's my only car thought. Buy a tank and make people stay out of your way, you can own one as long as the turret is inoperable.

i've only ever owned black or white vehicles. black gets dirty quick, but it looks fuck-ing-sharp when it's clean. white tends to look clean for longer. but desert tan? that shit will hide dirt for days.

not interested in a tank though. won't fit in the driveway.

1 hour ago, Chapinator_X said:

Red or dark green are good Jeep colors, but I’m leaning towards red on this one. But tan has more personality to it as a car color. 

red is not an option in my house. i'm not sure why. wife made that clear for some reason, years ago.

i did see a forest green one. it was a wrap and it had some funky graphics in it also, and the graphics were a little too loud for my taste.

Just now, André Toulon said:

Jeeps should be camo or red...I don't know what that weekend warrior shit is up there.

speaking of weekend warrior shit...i went and looked at one that ended up being a POS but it had a fuckload of mods for rock climbing. i don't need any of that bullshit, but if someone wants to bolt a handyman jack to the back of my jeep, i'll let 'em.

3 hours ago, wacky1980 said:

the thought is growing on me. it took about five minutes of driving around in the city before i got the hang of it again. ngl, i killed it once at an intersection, and again trying to feel out reverse. but it was FUN. most of the driving i do is small town / country roads. if i lived in a city, i'd probably avoid a stick just because it would be unnecessary.

Get the stick - you can paint the jeep.

I drove a stick in Orlando for about 5 years. It's not a big deal even in traffic once you get back in the groove. (Granted, it was a Saturn, which was very forgiving, but still...)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mthor said:

Get the stick - you can paint the jeep.

I drove a stick in Orlando for about 5 years. It's not a big deal even in traffic once you get back in the groove. (Granted, it was a Saturn, which was very forgiving, but still...)

i'm haggling over price and perks on the stick right now. the black one slipped thru our fingers, and they've made it clear they're not ready to move much on price for the white one, which was probably going to be more than i'm willing to spend right now regardless. 

buying a car right now is weird. they want to do all of this over the phone. i want to sit there and stare at the guy while we haggle.

if they won't come down, i have another black soft top on the hook. haven't seen it in person yet but i talked to the salesman and he said it's pretty much in perfect condition. we'll see man, we'll see...

2 hours ago, scoobdog said:

The stick is really only necessary if you plan on going into sand or rock climbing a lot.  Otherwise, it's more of an amusement until you have to park on a hill.

That's the thing, it was only going to be for fun because I have zero need for it. And I don't like the thought of my asshole puckering up every time I have to take off on an incline. There's a lot of stop signs like that around here.

Doesn't matter though. They wouldn't budge on price for the stick so I walked out. Bought a black one about an hour ago from another dealer. I'm happy, wife's happy, the boys are happy. 

25799669754.jpg.a587a62919e491519493756f8016bbd5.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, wacky1980 said:

i drove another black one yesterday too. it was a little older, 160k miles and had an oil leak somewhere. it drove ok and was real clean. but that's a lot more miles than i'm comfortable with right now, as i'm looking for something i can easily keep on the road for the next 5-10 years.

That was my thought is you want to compare the A) Model Year and B) Mileage on any of those choices so you don't have to do this again relatively quickly.

• Like 1

I almost pulled the trigger on it yesterday. I really got to liking that color. Oh well, next time.

That color with grey/machined Rubicon wheels would be mint. But honestly I just like any JK with color matched flares. It's just hard for me to like black wheels... they show dirt too easily.

This is also why I use Rain-X on the white wheels on my Mustang though lmao

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Rogue_Alphonse said:

Come to think of it, this looks like it has some sort of 2" lift... probably budget boost. Those wheels are supposed to be silver or chrome so the black would come off. But Rubi wheels are better :P Oh and I'd ditch the silver bumper caps too.

the tan one had a small lift and the dealer said the tires were oversized. and the wheels weren't originally black. they were painted or plasti-dipped or something. it was scratching off quite a bit, and i bet it could be removed if a person wanted. i personally liked the look of black wheels, but those looked kinda crappy tbh.

i might upgrade the wheels on the one i got to match the paint. i already ordered led headlamps because i don't really like the performance of the stock lights. might add nicer step bars and some other shit too if the feeling hits me. it looks to be pretty much all-stock right now, so there's a lot of room for playing around. i can see how jeep mods could easily become an addiction lol. but she looks pretty good already, so i'm happy.

25799670654x640.jpg.1e3a508c65831fb6a9d77b7400da16ec.jpg

22 hours ago, André Toulon said:

I don't know what that weekend warrior shit is up there.

I don't know or care if this is referencing me, I just feel like more Americans need to know they can legally own a tank. Personally my savings is currently dedicated to my future tank rampage where I have a bullhorn to tell police I'm not fucking stopping until I run out of gas so deal with me running over shit for a couple hours and clear the way. 

I might drive through a Hobby Lobby if it's Sunday, who knows. WE CAN ALL BUY TANKS.

33 minutes ago, RainyDayJizz#35 said:

I don't know or care if this is referencing me, I just feel like more Americans need to know they can legally own a tank. Personally my savings is currently dedicated to my future tank rampage where I have a bullhorn to tell police I'm not fucking stopping until I run out of gas so deal with me running over shit for a couple hours and clear the way. 

I might drive through a Hobby Lobby if it's Sunday, who knows. WE CAN ALL BUY TANKS.

if you recall, that dude died at the end of his little tank ride.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, wacky1980 said:

if you recall, that dude died at the end of his little tank ride.

There has been more than one. Was this the guy that got out with body armor and guns? I kinda remember that. But I remember the wahoo destroy shit and come out with your hands up guy way more.

Edited by RainyDayJizz#35
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, wacky1980 said:

the tan one had a small lift and the dealer said the tires were oversized. and the wheels weren't originally black. they were painted or plasti-dipped or something. it was scratching off quite a bit, and i bet it could be removed if a person wanted. i personally liked the look of black wheels, but those looked kinda crappy tbh.

i might upgrade the wheels on the one i got to match the paint. i already ordered led headlamps because i don't really like the performance of the stock lights. might add nicer step bars and some other shit too if the feeling hits me. it looks to be pretty much all-stock right now, so there's a lot of room for playing around. i can see how jeep mods could easily become an addiction lol. but she looks pretty good already, so i'm happy.

25799670654x640.jpg.1e3a508c65831fb6a9d77b7400da16ec.jpg

The only JK wheels I like are the grey/machined Rubicon wheels honestly, but the black Willys ones aren't bad either and would look good on that one. I rock them on my '98 :PMay be an image of outdoors

Or, you could find a set of Willys/Rubicon JL wheels... they bolt right on. My mom gave my sister the set off of her 2020 last year and honestly it looks pretty good. Before it had the chrome 18" Sahara wheels like the first one you posted... and those with black fender flares looked so ugly lmao

May be an image of snow

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RainyDayJizz#35 said:

How much would a tank cost?

Asking for a friend who did their taxes with H&R Block earlier

so i'm just gonna say it. i can't believe it took me this long to figure out that i shoulda been in a jeep this whole time. never drove one before this week, and i'm pretty sure i'll drive one from now on.

...but i'm sure the honeymoon will end soon enough. it has to, right?

• Like 1

so i'm just gonna say it. i can't believe it took me this long to figure out that i shoulda been in a jeep this whole time. never drove one before this week, and i'm pretty sure i'll drive one from now on.

...but i'm sure the honeymoon will end soon enough. it has to, right?

Is it a 3.8 or a 3.6?

34 minutes ago, wacky1980 said:

3.6 pentastar

The only issues you should have is the oil cooler housing is prone to getting a crack and you'll know when it does because you'll have what looks like a severe rear main seal leak... and it's hit and miss but some of them have one rocker arm go bad, I forget which but it's the back passenger side of the engine. It'll tick... and eventually will wear the edges of the cam lobe if it's not taken care of. But both things are suuuper cheap, the labor makes it costly. I'm just glad you didn't get the 3.8 :D

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rogue_Alphonse said:

The only issues you should have is the oil cooler housing is prone to getting a crack and you'll know when it does because you'll have what looks like a severe rear main seal leak... and it's hit and miss but some of them have one rocker arm go bad, I forget which but it's the back passenger side of the engine. It'll tick... and eventually will wear the edges of the cam lobe if it's not taken care of. But both things are suuuper cheap, the labor makes it costly. I'm just glad you didn't get the 3.8 :D

Thanks for the pointers! I've spent a small amount of time researching this engine so far. It's an early enough manufacture date that it could have been one of them that had the casting sand problem, but I assume that would have become apparent by now. There's a little chirp in the belt for the first few minutes after startup that wasn't there when I test drove it, but I should be able to track that down without too much effort. Engine looks real clean, no leaks, everything is dry. It did just come from a dealer so who knows if it will stay that way for very long. I'll probably take it down to the county highway dept shop and we'll go thru it pretty thoroughly this weekend (my BiL is the dept head down there, and a diesel mechanic before that). We can do most of the mechanical work on it ourselves, so I'm not scared of a little wrenching as the need arises.

1 hour ago, wacky1980 said:

Thanks for the pointers! I've spent a small amount of time researching this engine so far. It's an early enough manufacture date that it could have been one of them that had the casting sand problem, but I assume that would have become apparent by now. There's a little chirp in the belt for the first few minutes after startup that wasn't there when I test drove it, but I should be able to track that down without too much effort. Engine looks real clean, no leaks, everything is dry. It did just come from a dealer so who knows if it will stay that way for very long. I'll probably take it down to the county highway dept shop and we'll go thru it pretty thoroughly this weekend (my BiL is the dept head down there, and a diesel mechanic before that). We can do most of the mechanical work on it ourselves, so I'm not scared of a little wrenching as the need arises.

Oh yeah, you'd have no problem replacing that rocker or that oil cooler. Youtube and forums are your friend for little tips and tricks too. Also I had forgotten about the casting sand thing XD but by now those issues would have reared their ugly heads.

The JK's from 13-18 really don't have much else going on issue wise. I think another common thing is the HVAC control will blink at you for one minute after every startup, and it is the module inside of it for the rear window defrost for the hardtop that fails... even if the Jeep is originally a soft top. Leaks happen, usually it's from impatient or rushed use of the freedom panels or the soft top in general though. UHHHHHHHHHHHHH and wheel speed sensors. Usually the fronts go first, and you'll know it... ABS, TCS(ESP) and Check Engine will all light up and usually when you first pull away after a startup you'll feel one of the front brakes grab for a couple seconds. But those sensors are $25.... and a lot of involved labor to swap.

• Like 1

Now if you decide to go more than a 2" budget boost lift... you might wake up some gremlins. But I mean my mom bought hers brand new in February of 2014 and traded it in, in March of 2020 with 180k and the issues I told you about were the issues it had... and driveshaft issues (because of the lift, had to convert to a universal joint style setup) and what was apparently common but didn't show up until 34" tires was inner front axle seals but those got swapped when she stepped up to a 4:56 gear. She even towed juuuuust over its rated limit and it honestly loved it... granted that limit was 2,000 pounds due to short wheelbase. The 4-door can tow 3500.

And I have to include a pic because I like to brag about the thing I fucking "built" :|:D

No photo description available.

No photo description available.

You know you want to lift yours. :P

we're talking about maybe doing a small lift and upgrading the wheels/tires, but that probably won't happen right away. i want to get to know her a little bit first. we got this primarily as a work vehicle for me, which includes hauling product around and occasionally pulling a draft beer trailer. i doubt we'll get into trail riding or bombing around the countryside ... not too much anyways, at first. but we'll see.

first things first though. i've gotta address that belt chirp this weekend, or else i'm taking it back to the dealer to fix it for me. it only happens for the first couple minutes when it's cold, but it's fucking embarrassing starting up a new buy and having it make noise on day one. i ordered up a full led upgrade kit (i loathe the standard lighting), minus tail lights because i'm not settled on the style i like just yet. next, a few trim pieces and cosmetic tweaks, and maybe a new radio as well. then i'll dive underneath this summer to start looking for trouble lol.