UnevenEdge

Demon Slayer 2 confirmed for 2021

Jman

I think if they manage to get S2 relatively "close" to premieres, like that last season of SAO we just finished got on Toonami relatively quick, it'd pay off in the ratings coming off of the word of mouth of S1. Even if it won't be dubbed as fast as AoT (and now Dr. Stone) since they don't really simuldub like Funi so they probably can't dub only a few weeks behind like those.

Edited by DangerMouse
  • Like 1

Good to hear the second season of Demon Slayer is already on the way.

I didn't the read the whole article yet, but I saw that it's going to continue on the next arc after the movie.  So they won't be breaking up the movie into episodes to use in the beginning of the second season of Demon Slayer.  This confirms it.  If Demarco doesn't show the movie there will be an issue. 

Not like the Sword Art Online movie which was written by Reki and "canon" but really had no bearing on the overall plot of Alicization/War of Underworld, and you can tell the Ordinal Scale elements were put in after the fact.  We will be left to our own devices to have to watch the Demon Slayer movie somehow if Demarco doesn't show it.

13 hours ago, PokeNirvash said:

Toonami's never gonna air that fuckin' movie, even if it did make bigger bucks than almost every other anime film ever made.

The movie intentionally fills out the events happening between Seasons 1 and 2.  It's canon, and is required viewing for Demon Slayer fans. By vowing never to air movies except for April Fools pranks and the occasional DC event tie-ins, Toonami has served themselves a huge disavantage.

Edited by elfie
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, elfie said:

The movie intentionally fills out the events happening between Seasons 1 and 2.  It's canon, and is required viewing for Demon Slayer fans. By vowing never to air movies except for April Fools pranks and the occasional DC event tie-ins, Toonami has served themselves a huge disavantage.

FUNi is probably going to try to air the movie as a limited engagement like they did with the Goblin Slayer movie unless theaters are cleared for launch in enough time (doubtful).

The alternative is someone pays out of the ass for the movie, and we know who has the money to do that - 

24 minutes ago, Jman said:

FUNi is probably going to try to air the movie as a limited engagement like they did with the Goblin Slayer movie unless theaters are cleared for launch in enough time (doubtful).

The alternative is someone pays out of the ass for the movie, and we know who has the money to do that - 

I keep saying Toonami should migrate to streaming in some way. WandaVision on Disney+ only releases one episode per week like Toonami does with all it shows, yet it is the most popular show on that service, and among the most popular shows on all streaming services! Of course ,getting a block onto a streaming service isn't easy because they're blocks designed to only be broadcast at a certain point of the week, and the bumps only comprise a few minutes in total each night.

Edited by elfie

On 2/14/2021 at 5:28 AM, Jman said:

After Season 1 did unexpectedly incredible business for Netflix, expect DeMarco to pick it up just to play keep away for a while even if its Toonami ratings were nothing to write home about.

If DeMarco is lucky, they get first right to refusal for the dub premiere of additional seasons like they seem to have with SAO. How things pan out with The Promised Neverland season 2 will be a good indication of how things will go for Demon Slayer. But this is picking up right after the movie and that complicates things for Toonami.

• Like 1

On 2/14/2021 at 4:57 PM, PokeNirvash said:

Toonami's never gonna air that fuckin' movie, even if it did make bigger bucks than almost every other anime film ever made.

How well it did will no doubt hike up the price significantly. If they couldn't throw down for DBS Broly or either of the MHA movies, I can't imagine Adult Swim being able to afford the #1 movie in Japanese box office history.  Not unless Sony is being surprisingly generous.

19 hours ago, elfie said:

I keep saying Toonami should migrate to streaming in some way. WandaVision on Disney+ only releases one episode per week like Toonami does with all it shows, yet it is the most popular show on that service, and among the most popular shows on all streaming services! Of course ,getting a block onto a streaming service isn't easy because they're blocks designed to only be broadcast at a certain point of the week, and the bumps only comprise a few minutes in total each night.

How do you propose Toonami migrates to streaming effectively? Almost everything they air is already streaming dubbed on various services. Toonami would be even less likely to get shows from FUNimation, Sentai and Crunchyroll if they were considered a streaming competitor. The fact that they're television focused is probably what allows them to get some of the most popular new anime around the same time as those anime streaming services do.

The most probable use of the Toonami brand on a streaming service is through HBO Max but they still need the 3rd party content unless they limited  the selection to just their original series. They could rebrand the current Crunchyroll section as Toonami for instance and keep the Aniplex and Viz shows that are currently on there. InuYasha, FMAB and Hunter x Hunter are all Toonami alumni after all.

You could add Toonami bumpers to the videos but that's more likely to polarize new viewers who aren't already Toonami fans. The majority of anime fans want the whole show as it was presented in Japan and don't care for extra packaging that can take them out of the experience. But Toonami shows with some Toonami bumps already exist through Adult Swim on-demand on various cable and satellite packages.

Single on-demand episodes isn't a Toonami block by any means. Streaming an entire block live is a novel concept but not very practical and possibly difficult to fill advertisement space during. Making that their primary broadcast method probably wouldn't pan out. They used to stream encores of the entire block on Adult Swim's website but they stopped doing that. There's probably a reason they didn't continue doing it.

Don't get me wrong If Toonami had it's own service with a decent backlog and weekly premieres, I'd subscribe to it in a heart beat but I'm already a Toonami fan for life. It's not so easy to convince other anime fans to subscribe to another service unless it has a sizable library for a competitive price. WarnerMedia isn't going to do that just for Toonami, they're going as far as selling off the most successful anime streaming platform around to Sony. Toonami could be part of HBO Max if WarnerMedia wills it but it is likely to lose much of its identity in the process.

I think we're better off with Toonami continuing to be the only place for this kind of content on US television. That still serves more of purpose than being another streaming service in a sea of many. Cable isn't dead just yet. They can still introduce shows to wider audience, they just have to be original works or more obscure titles. But its evident by the success of Demon Slayer, Attack on Titan, My Hero Academia and other anime outside of Toonami that chasing after all the latest hits, isn't the best use of their budget.

4 hours ago, Sketch said:

How do you propose Toonami migrates to streaming effectively? Almost everything they air is already streaming dubbed on various services. Toonami would be even less likely to get shows from FUNimation, Sentai and Crunchyroll if they were considered a streaming competitor. The fact that they're television focused is probably what allows them to get some of the most popular new anime around the same time as those anime streaming services do.

The most probable use of the Toonami brand on a streaming service is through HBO Max but they still need the 3rd party content unless they limited  the selection to just their original series. They could rebrand the current Crunchyroll section as Toonami for instance and keep the Aniplex and Viz shows that are currently on there. InuYasha, FMAB and Hunter x Hunter are all Toonami alumni after all.

You could add Toonami bumpers to the videos but that's more likely to polarize new viewers who aren't already Toonami fans. The majority of anime fans want the whole show as it was presented in Japan and don't care for extra packaging that can take them out of the experience. But Toonami shows with some Toonami bumps already exist through Adult Swim on-demand on various cable and satellite packages.

Single on-demand episodes isn't a Toonami block by any means. Streaming an entire block live is a novel concept but not very practical and possibly difficult to fill advertisement space during. Making that their primary broadcast method probably wouldn't pan out. They used to stream encores of the entire block on Adult Swim's website but they stopped doing that. There's probably a reason they didn't continue doing it.

Don't get me wrong If Toonami had it's own service with a decent backlog and weekly premieres, I'd subscribe to it in a heart beat but I'm already a Toonami fan for life. It's not so easy to convince other anime fans to subscribe to another service unless it has a sizable library for a competitive price. WarnerMedia isn't going to do that just for Toonami, they're going as far as selling off the most successful anime streaming platform around to Sony. Toonami could be part of HBO Max if WarnerMedia wills it but it is likely to lose much of its identity in the process.

I think we're better off with Toonami continuing to be the only place for this kind of content on US television. That still serves more of purpose than being another streaming service in a sea of many. Cable isn't dead just yet. They can still introduce shows to wider audience, they just have to be original works or more obscure titles. But its evident by the success of Demon Slayer, Attack on Titan, My Hero Academia and other anime outside of Toonami that chasing after all the latest hits, isn't the best use of their budget.

There have been fan attempts at livestreaming a whole block at a set time using ripped videos of the episodes, but of course those failed either due to the fans being disinterested after a while, or they received takedown notices. A legit company doing that on a streaming service is a good idea but they'd need a way to profit from it and I don't think it will be very popular.

A few thoughts on this stuff:

• It would be nice if Toonami didn't try to catch every mega-hit series as it aired. To me, the block's golden years were 2014-16, and that had older stuff like Black Lagoon, Gurren Lagann, and Michiko & Hatchin which just about everyone liked.
  • A streaming service with a linear programming feed was something Neon Alley tried. Remember that? I watched the first few episodes of Madoka Magica that way. But it came along before the big wave of streaming services rolled in and it eventually switched to more a conventional on-demand system. I don't think something like that is going to fly in 2021, let alone five years ago at the start of Netflix's dominance. People already don't like the Balkanization of streaming services based on who owns the shows, so why make the streaming experience even more like TV?
  • As affable as Disney and their streaming service is, they're absolutely in the right about releasing episodes weekly. Look at how much discussion their shows have soaked up, between The Mandalorian and now the new Marvel thing. In regards to Netflix, it proves that they could stop having something stuck in their craw and start putting out subbed anime once a week, just like the anime-centric services do.
  • Ultimately, I don't think Toonami is doing anything wrong with their current approach. It's going to be hard to pierce the mainstream in this era lead by streaming without original content, and starting with Uzumaki and that Blade Runner show, we should have a steady flow of it coming soon.
  • Like 1

On 2/21/2021 at 8:04 AM, PokeNirvash said:

I thought the last Blockbuster was in Oregon...

Oh, well I had the general region correct. :P

And there were some video stores, along with a couple Blockbusters, still clinging to life in Alaska.  I knew I remembered something like that.

https://www.adn.com/business-economy/2017/07/30/in-alaska-pricey-internet-and-nostalgia-keep-video-stores-alive/

https://time.com/5337725/last-blockbuster-america-oregon

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...