UnevenEdge

english va for Tokoyami(MHA)is about to be homeless

CountFrylock

14 minutes ago, PokeNirvash said:

I dunno, hearing it from the voice actor in question's digital mouth themselves is kind of a step above gossip, but I'm inclined to agree, this is more something befitting the Off-Topic thread than standing as a topic of its own.

i feel like It would just as easily be ignored in there   there's not much activity going on there usually and as such if i had posted it there

It'd be like i never posted it at all and once the option to donate becomes available(Not sure how helpful cameo payments are gonna be honestly)

Having a message that nobody sees or really acknowledges doesn't help

Edited by CountFrylock

45 minutes ago, PokeNirvash said:

I'd take no acknowledgement over negative acknowledgement, but that's just me.

maybe if i was posting it just for the sake of posting  i wouldn't mind nobody seeing it

but if that was the case then I'd be better off just posting a silly video than something like a voice actor losing they're home

nobody even responding to that at all would seem rather cold

but hey maybe i just think that because I don't like thinking about what happens if they are out on the street without a home

although i suppose this topic wouldn't exist if voice actors weren't typically paid peanuts

Edited by CountFrylock

this implies Funimation is underpaying them if they can't afford their home anymore without whatever it is they got fired from

(using they/them pronouns because I know Josh almost transitioned once and I see they have a Trans flag next to their name)

1 hour ago, mochi said:

this implies Funimation is underpaying them if they can't afford their home anymore without whatever it is they got fired from

(using they/them pronouns because I know Josh almost transitioned once and I see they have a Trans flag next to their name)

it was a commercial gig they were fired from....one with a client they had for all of last year

Edited by CountFrylock
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, mochi said:

He did transition once but he called that off. So it's still okay to use "he/him".

9 hours ago, Daos said:

Unless you're a huge name that's in every Funimation anime...... being a VA is more like a side gig. 

Yeah, VAs get paid an hourly rate, so if they don't have a lot of roles at the moment, they're not going to have much income. It's why a lot of VAs (at least those who are LA-based) tend to do a lot of video game or generic VO work, since those tend to pay higher rates. A lot of long-term FUNi actors also take on production and directing roles. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Top Gun said:

Yeah, VAs get paid an hourly rate, so if they don't have a lot of roles at the moment, they're not going to have much income. It's why a lot of VAs (at least those who are LA-based) tend to do a lot of video game or generic VO work, since those tend to pay higher rates. A lot of long-term FUNi actors also take on production and directing roles. 

This one reason why a VA suddenly being the target of controversy and getting tossed by their client is such a big deal. Without that job, they likely have no more income.

8 hours ago, elfie said:

This one reason why a VA suddenly being the target of controversy and getting tossed by their client is such a big deal. Without that job, they likely have no more income.

You need like 50 jobs as a VA though. Or a day job.

One infuriating thing about US voice acting is how underpaid and thankless it is unless you win the lottery and break into lucrative video game roles on the west coast. I’m not sure how Cameo works, etiquette-wise, but I’m contemplating sending in requests if it helps keep him afloat.

Edited by Chapinator_X
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Chapinator_X said:

One infuriating thing about US voice acting is how underpaid and thankless it is unless you win the lottery and break into lucrative video game roles on the west coast. I’m not sure how Cameo works, etiquette-wise, but I’m contemplating sending in requests if it helps keep him afloat.

unfortunately i don't think it will....i can't imagine cameo payments would be enough to pay the bills

7 hours ago, CountFrylock said:

the more you look into this....the more shocking it is that anyone would ever want to be a voice actor especially one for dubbed anime

Yet they still have their avid fans.

Even when cons were safe to go to, they would say they got into the anime dub business by no choice of their own. The common saying among actors is that "you don't find this job. It finds you." Nowadays, there are younger, fresher VAs in the community who DO say they chose to seek it, because today there are more anime fans than there were 10-20 years ago.

Edited by elfie
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, elfie said:

Yet they still have their avid fans.

Even when cons were safe to go to, they would say they got into the anime dub business by no choice of their own. The common saying among actors is that "you don't find this job. It finds you." Nowadays, there are younger, fresher VAs in the community who DO say they chose to seek it, because today there are more anime fans than there were 10-20 years ago.

Will didn't VAs used to make a lot of money off con appearances and merch etc?  The actual voice acting doesn't pay that much, it seems.