UnevenEdge
ZoomBubba

Will Trump Create a New Political Party?

Will Trump Create a New Political Party?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Will Trump Create a New Political Party?

From MSNBC:

Trump, with just hours left in his one-term presidency, would like to call it the "Patriot Party," The Journal reported, citing sources familiar with the matter.

The report came after Sen. Mitch McConnell, the top congressional Republican, delivered a speech Tuesday blaming Trump for this month's riot at the US Capitol.

"The mob was fed lies," he said. "They were provoked by the president and other powerful people."

It is unclear whether such an effort at a new party would involve the recruitment and running of candidates or serve as a media and merchandise empire for the former president.

https://rb.gy/frcqyt

So, the question is "will Trump follow through and actually start a new political party?"

If he does, what do you believe are his motivations?

Ego?

Grifting some more bucks from his devoted fans?

Revenge on Republicans?

Serious belief that he's the best one for the job?

Share your thoughts.

Honestly, I hope so.

If they're voting for the political party equivalent of Disaster Movie, they're not voting for Republicans.

I'm not going to shed tears over the inbred vote becoming divided.

Edited by naraku360
  • Like 4

I'm going to say no ... but I could see it changing IF his family members run and lose their primaries. Right now I believe he still thinks he IS the Republican Party.

But, I also see him starting his own party if the GOP begins ignoring him, which means he's losing his influence. 

Of course, I could be wrong and he sees a great opportunity to make money from the people who say "I'm never voting again" which is a lot of his people. 

• Like 2

If that threat is real, it would make it easier to get moderate Republicans in the Senate to convict.

• Like 2

I say he will only because that's the best way for him to continue to claim some kind of victory out of all this defeat.  He might be delusional, but there is no way that he thinks he's still in control of the Republican Party after McConnell explicitly blamed him for the riots.  He would be more correctly thinking he's in control of the portion of the party that he sees as being true conservatives (that deify him as a conservative god), and, pending the outcome or otherwise of the impeachment article, he has his best chance to break off and not only bolster his flagging 2024 chances but also foster the chances of the lawmakers who are willing to ride his coattails.  He wants to be a kingmaker and this is the best way for him to continue doing it.

Plus, there is the built in factor that he is almost assuredly not guaranteed of achieving any national election wins no matter what he does, so this is the way to maintain control without having to show success for it.

1 hour ago, scoobdog said:

He would be more correctly thinking he's in control of the portion of the party that he sees as being true conservatives (that deify him as a conservative god), and, pending the outcome or otherwise of the impeachment article, he has his best chance to break off and not only bolster his flagging 2024 chances but also foster the chances of the lawmakers who are willing to ride his coattails.

Trump's base is people who turn to assholes like Mike Adams and Alex Jones for their "news." Just a decade ago the majority of people thought they were nuts as well as assholes, but somehow with Trump many of those people worked their way over to that side. Usually, things go in reverse with many people getting into conspiracy theories for a short time in their life and then getting out of them. 

It's really hard to predict Trump will do in regards to what he's saying because he's so unpredictable. He has a tendency to make threats and then back down, which is what a lot of lawyers have learned. I figure it hinges on how successful the party leadership is at ignoring Trump, not even bothering to defend or even mention him. Trump apparently hates the idea of being a nonentity and there's no telling what that will spur him to. 

If he does such a thing, it will hurt the Republicans, not the Democrats. I've already seen online postings and interviews of these people who said they are done with voting now, which is fine with me.

• Like 2
  • D'oh 1

53 minutes ago, ZoomBubba said:

Trump apparently hates the idea of being a nonentity and there's no telling what that will spur him to. 

That farewell speech was his last megaphone. Imagine how themis day would have went if his Twitter wasn't banned.

His voice doesn't carry until he finds a new platform.

If he doesn't have a "donation" page set up by next week, funneling straight into his... well, I was going to say bank account, but is any bank even doing business with him anymore?

10 hours ago, ZoomBubba said:

From MSNBC:

https://rb.gy/frcqyt

So, the question is "will Trump follow through and actually start a new political party?"

If he does, what do you believe are his motivations?

Ego?

Grifting some more bucks from his devoted fans?

Revenge on Republicans?

Serious belief that he's the best one for the job?

Share your thoughts.

The 'Patriot Party'? Meh it's only going to bottlekneck republicans and lump all the degenerates together for easy pickins if it gains traction. Sadly it wouldn't be anywhere close to being the nuttiest u.s. political party out there anyway, but if it's proponents act the way they did with Trump in charge it wont be any more effective than these:

https://www.lolwot.com/10-of-the-strangest-political-parties-in-the-u-s/

Edited by PhilosipherStoned

3 hours ago, ZoomBubba said:

Trump's base is people who turn to assholes like Mike Adams and Alex Jones for their "news." Just a decade ago the majority of people thought they were nuts as well as assholes, but somehow with Trump many of those people worked their way over to that side. Usually, things go in reverse with many people getting into conspiracy theories for a short time in their life and then getting out of them. 

It's really hard to predict Trump will do in regards to what he's saying because he's so unpredictable. He has a tendency to make threats and then back down, which is what a lot of lawyers have learned. I figure it hinges on how successful the party leadership is at ignoring Trump, not even bothering to defend or even mention him. Trump apparently hates the idea of being a nonentity and there's no telling what that will spur him to. 

If he does such a thing, it will hurt the Republicans, not the Democrats. I've already seen online postings and interviews of these people who said they are done with voting now, which is fine with me.

If he does such a thing..... he's really not going to end up hurting much of anyone.  Once he's ejected from the party, he'll only be carrying a fraction of the 73 million that voted for him, and that leaves room in the GOP to win back independents.

Realistically, the Republicans are more in trouble because they don't have a charismatic leader.  When you have worthless toadies like Ted Cruz running for President, it's safe to say that your party has leadership issues.

1 hour ago, rpgamer said:

If he doesn't have a "donation" page set up by next week, funneling straight into his... well, I was going to say bank account, but is any bank even doing business with him anymore?

No bank is going to touch him at this point. He even managed to burn the bridge to Deutsche Bank and they happily handle mystery money from Russia. Signature Bank in NY closed his accounts and will no longer do business with the family. The only one that hasn't supposedly been purged is the one in China that he didn't think anyone knew about. I'm hoping they close it and keep whatever he had hiding in there to pay for whatever crap he still had waiting in factories in his name. It's the only way they'll get paid for any of it. 

As for the topic, I can definitely see him attempting to set up some sort of money grab and using the start of a new political party as the catch but, much like with all those 'stop the steal' fundraisers, it'll all go to his pocket in a desperate attempt to keep up appearances. He's not happy unless he's bankrupting someone somewhere and he'll only have enough energy to do anything if someone else is footing all the bills and carrying him princess-style everywhere. 

• Haha 2