UnevenEdge

The things we make these days lack value because they are less likely to be destroyed.

SwimModSponges

There are glass trinkets from 50 years ago that are worth hundreds of dollars today.

In 40 years your rick and morty funko won't be worth a thing because there will be millions of them.

The majority of those little glass trinkets broke, that's what makes the surviving few valuable.

Nothing breaks anymore.

• Thanks 1

I suppose I should clarify that I was mostly talking about nik-naks and the like.

But yeah good point I suppose.

But ok even then, an xbox360 that still works has relative value I imagine, but it'd never be worth as much, relatively speaking, as one of those little glass figures.

Edited by SwimModSponges
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, PhilosipherStoned said:

yes I know I was talking about the OP. I have an antique glass ashtray that would crush the skull of John Ferraro before it would break

Nowadays, there are things made specifically to be replaced and things made to be unbreakable. The things meant to be replaced are expensive luxuries that ended up becoming necessities like smart phones, cars, or laptops. The things that will never break ended up being junk that you couldn’t pay someone to take off of your hands. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, SwimModSponges said:

I suppose I should clarify that I was mostly talking about nik-naks and the like.

But yeah good point I suppose.

But ok even then, an xbox360 that still works has relative value I imagine, but it'd never be worth as much, relatively speaking, as one of those little glass figures.

I can't say they'll definitely be in the same range as glass figures, but they probably break more often.

12 hours ago, Mini_ghost420 said:

Well this is the stupidest thing I read in 4 or 5 minutes

Hey.

No it isn't.

This is a critique on antiques/collectables and the difference between.

I was mostly just spitballing, throwing out random thoughts I had.

I have no idea where all the hate is coming from you guys, seriously.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, SwimModSponges said:

Hey.

No it isn't.

This is a critique on antiques/collectables and the difference between.

I was mostly just spitballing, throwing out random thoughts I had.

I have no idea where all the hate is coming from you guys, seriously.

oh yea I'm just givin' ya shit for the most part